Thoughts on Ohana for dinner?

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
we had dinner here tonight and it was not as good as it use to be. it was so crowded and backed up we waited 45min past our reserve time even after checking in 15min early.. the polynesian was just insanely crowded everywhere....the food was okay, as said above the appetizers are better than the meats, but we got steak first before any of the appetizer dishes, and then they came around with the other meat, it was all turned around. the server had way too many tables and big parties to take care so we were kinda put on the back burner and waited forever for everything being a party of two. the floor was filthy when we sat down.. our food was okay but anymore they are just throwing things together and not cleaning up...... you def dont leave hungry, but the meats were all either burnt up or like rubber. I could stick with the veggies and noodles and salad and wings/potstickers and be happy. will be awhile before we go back.

The last 8 years since we started going to 'Ohana we have always waited 30-45min to be seated with having reservations and we are also only a party of 2. No big deal and we expect it. Food has never gone downhill in our opinion nor cleanliness, and we have been almost every year. Do note when it is that busy it is harder to keep everything like the floor perfectly clean. They can't really get in there and clean good until the night is over. Sorry you did not have the best experience this time. :)

bethymouse

'Ohana is a wonderful place to eat! The last few times though however we did feel a bit rushed... of course though it was 9:30 pm during Wishes and we did want to take our time ( my husband and one son eat a lot of shrimp!). There were still people coming into the restaurant at 10pm!:eek:

DisneyPrincess5

We enjoy Ohana. We went on my birthday this past year and had a lovely seat for two right by the window with views of the pool and MK. We LOVED the salad, dumplings, chicken wings, noodles, and vegetables. The meat honestly was awful in our opinion. The chicken seemed like thighs which were a greaser meat which DH and I do not like, the beef was not cooked well for us and the flavoring on it was ew. I have a shellfish allergy so I didn't eat the shrimp, and DH happened to not either.

We've been there a few other times and had better meat then. I think it's a great experience overall and really enjoyable. The meat's appeal I guess is in the eye of the beholder. Loved the starters for sure.

david.bwr

Is this a good dining option for taking a break during the day at MK?

How long does it take to get from MK via Monorail to Ohana? Or am I trying to squeeze too much in?

Or is it better to do on another park day?

danyoung56

It'll take you about 20 minutes to ride the monorail around to the Poly. But I wouldn't recommend 'Ohana for a mid-day meal. Eating that much food mid-day would not be fun for me!

Mizner92

You cannot go wrong with dinner at 'Ohana. There are a lot of great things -- the food, the atmosphere, everything. It's very popular and you may encounter a slight hiccup ( although not the norm). But if you relax and go with the flow, you will have a great experience. Just like with everything in life, if you're looking for the negative, you'll find it.

JusticeDisney

I say avoid at all costs. When I was just there, the quality of food was terrible, the service was worse, and there were flies everywhere. Oh, and did I mention the horrendous lounge-style singing that will have you wanting to poke your own eyes out?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We've only eaten there once and really enjoyed it. Yes, the meats, especially the beef (I must disagree with Disney's definition of steak, lol), can be hit or miss, but when our server brought out that huge skewer of shrimp, I knew I was in the right spot. And that salad, I could have eaten the entire bowl of salad - that passion fruit dressing was to die for. Yeah, the bread was okay, but I'm not a big fan of that type of bread. Just give me a bowl of that salad and a skewer of shrimp and I'm happy as a clam.

Plus, like several other monorail resort restaurants, they turn the lights down and pipe in the music from Wishes. Lucky you if you get a table near the windows.

Yes, you will wait at least 20 minutes to be seated for your reservation. Unless you want to watch Wishes while dining, I would try to get an early ADR. I was surprised at the long line for check in and the number of people waiting to be seated....and we've eaten dinner most of the popular restaurants many times - like BOG and Raglan Road.

Weather_Lady

We love dinner at 'Ohana and it's become one of our "must-do" meals at WDW.

If you look at the negative reviews, they generally stem from: (1) poor service, which happens sometimes anywhere you go; (2) the wait to be seated -- 'Ohana is popular and it's not uncommon to wait for 20 minutes or more to be seated; just plan for the wait, perhaps grab a drink at the bar and enjoy the view of the Polynesian lobby; and (3) disliking the flavor profile of the food -- it's accurately described on the menu, so read it ahead of time and see if the dishes sound good to you.

Ted Daggett

Lol...You don't even notice it really unless you sit right by her. It's non obtrusive. We have never even remotely been near where they were except once and still really didn't bother us (me and DH). Even if you are it really is no big deal. No one is forced to participate etc. It's actually really cute. ;)

The activities include: 1. Children getting some kind of a broom and a coconut, and they have a "race" around the restaurant (one single line does one loop of the restaurant) pushing the coconut with the broom. (My 10 year is now too cool to participate). 2. A person (was a woman every time I have been) plays a ukulele and teaches hula dancing. If you participate in this, you get a free lei.

My children (7,10,12) have done both many times.

The person with the Ukulele also sings songs throughout the meal. One time I went, the volume was too loud on her speakers, and it was kind of annoying, but generally it adds to the ambiance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom