Thoughts on "holding" quick service tables?

Chi84

Premium Member
Not really sure what post you read but nowhere in my post did I call anyone a name. The poster simply said people on here needed to grow up. I simply stated she might be the one who needs to grow up ;)
I was just referencing your post to make some general comments about opinions. I wasn't accusing anyone of anything. Although telling a particular person to grow up probably falls under personal attacks.

ninjaprincesst

I have an issue with people like you, those that think they’re perfect 😏 this thread is ridiculous, and yes il be getting a table whilst my husband goes to get the food, a 7 month old baby can’t stand 👏🏽 so if you’re there in 3 weeks il be the one table hogging 🙌🏼
I just love everyone and their total lack of care for anyone else, yes, people should have to stand and eat because God forbid you actually have to stand and hold your baby.

wombat

I am all in favor of being courteous to other guests, but I'm also entitled to a reasonably comfortable dining experience (or what passes for one at Disney). At a minimum, that includes a table and enough time to enjoy what I'm eating. If a restaurant looks so busy that it might be difficult to find a table, I'll scout one out and hold it while my husband is ordering food. We don't "linger," but we may decide to take a few extra minutes to finish our drinks and let our food digest before heading back out into the heat and humidity. It's not my job to solve Disney's capacity problems by eating on a garbage can lid or planning out the logistics of occupying a table for the shortest time possible.

To the extent that saving tables is a problem, it can only be solved by Disney. It's much too common a practice to be solved by just some of the people doing things the "right" way and getting food before finding a table. In order for that practice to be efficient, everyone must do it, and that's only possible with some type of policy that Disney is willing to enforce.
I'll scout one out and hold it while my husband is ordering food. is exactly what is causing the problem in the first place. People sitting at tables with no food while another family member stands in line waiting to be served

Chi84

Premium Member
I'll scout one out and hold it while my husband is ordering food. is exactly what is causing the problem in the first place. People sitting at tables with no food while another family member stands in line waiting to be served
I agree 100%. People should not be sitting at tables without food. But only Disney can fix this problem by setting a policy or rule. They are allowing people to sit at tables without food. So if I wait until after I get food to find a table, I will end up holding a tray while others are sitting without food. This is unacceptable. This is Disney’s problem to fix and until they do so, I’ll do what everyone else is doing to make sure I have a table when I need one.

lazyboy97o

I agree 100%. People should not be sitting at tables without food. But only Disney can fix this problem by setting a policy or rule. They are allowing people to sit at tables without food. So if I wait until after I get food to find a table, I will end up holding a tray while others are sitting without food. This is unacceptable. This is Disney’s problem to fix and until they do so, I’ll do what everyone else is doing to make sure I have a table when I need one.
The real fix isn’t a rule, it’s proper capacity.

ninjaprincesst

To an extent yes , but rules are needed , and need to be enforced . for example I see families all the time standing and eating , while people have their picnics they brought with them spread out taking up tables while paying customers are standing, and also it works great when Pecos Bill's and Cosmic Ray's make people wait until they have their food to sit, there always seems to be seats, cast members will usually even direct you to a table and no one is standing eating.

John park hopper

There was time when there were places to sit throughout the parks. Correct me if I am wrong but on my last visit (2017) there seemed to be very few places to just sit. Could this be contributing to the QS sitting problem people just hanging out after eating and taking up much needed space?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
To an extent yes , but rules are needed , and need to be enforced . for example I see families all the time standing and eating , while people have their picnics they brought with them spread out taking up tables while paying customers are standing, and also it works great when Pecos Bill's and Cosmic Ray's make people wait until they have their food to sit, there always seems to be seats, cast members will usually even direct you to a table and no one is standing eating.
What’s the rule for lingering?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
There was time when there were places to sit throughout the parks. Correct me if I am wrong but on my last visit (2017) there seemed to be very few places to just sit. Could this be contributing to the QS sitting problem people just hanging out after eating and taking up much needed space?
1000% correct. There is nowhere to sit besides the CSR restaurants.

jaklgreen

They won't "fix" it because people are no longer reasonable. You will have trashy people yell at and threaten the cast members because "no one is going to tell me what to do". And in this day and age of social media, it is only a matter of time before something happens and it gets blown up giving Disney a bad name. They have gotten to the point that they just let the monkeys have their way in the zoo and stay out of it. People do not have any shame or humility any more and are greedy, rude, and act entitled. Just read these posts at how many come right out and say that they are going to do whatever they want, no matter how it affects others. And it just snow balls down. It starts with a few then others, like you, say "hey, if everyone else is doing it then so will I. I'ts not my problem." Doing the right thing should be the rule, not the exception.

jaklgreen

They can only build so much seating and then it gets to the point that it is just wasted space 90% of the day and not profitable. In the normal order of things, a restaurant will have a flow. People come in, order, sit down and eat, leave. It is like a revolving door. It works great if people are actually doing it the way that you are supposed to. But the table saving messes with the flow and causes the capacity issue because people are taking up the table longer then they are supposed to.

Lensman

They can only build so much seating and then it gets to the point that it is just wasted space 90% of the day and not profitable. In the normal order of things, a restaurant will have a flow. People come in, order, sit down and eat, leave. It is like a revolving door. It works great if people are actually doing it the way that you are supposed to. But the table saving messes with the flow and causes the capacity issue because people are taking up the table longer then they are supposed to.
Two thoughts:
  1. Disney could also attack the problem by minimizing the time the table is held by having the food ordering and delivery be hyper-efficient. So if Disney could arrange for the time the table is held before the food is ready to < 5 minutes, the hold time would be manageable compared to the time for the actual eating. Guest satisfaction would also be higher since it's obviously less time waiting in line or waiting for your food. Maybe more app ordering or ordering at the entrance? I'm sure they could come up with something. Or maybe ordering from table itself? That would probably slow things down but would be cool and might have higher satisfaction levels if the ordering app at the table was multi-lingual.
  2. Maybe it's actually profitable to have people sit and do nothing? It's certainly cheaper than building a $300 million big blue box. Along the same lines maybe it's profitable to have people linger? I bet if they put their minds to it, Disney could make the extra seating profitable - maybe they could double as MDE kiosks and maybe also provide shopping. Lol

jaklgreen

Two thoughts:
  1. Disney could also attack the problem by minimizing the time the table is held by having the food ordering and delivery be hyper-efficient. So if Disney could arrange for the time the table is held before the food is ready to < 5 minutes, the hold time would be manageable compared to the time for the actual eating. Guest satisfaction would also be higher since it's obviously less time waiting in line or waiting for your food. Maybe more app ordering or ordering at the entrance? I'm sure they could come up with something. Or maybe ordering from table itself? That would probably slow things down but would be cool and might have higher satisfaction levels if the ordering app at the table was multi-lingual.
  2. Maybe it's actually profitable to have people sit and do nothing? It's certainly cheaper than building a $300 million big blue box. Along the same lines maybe it's profitable to have people linger? I bet if they put their minds to it, Disney could make the extra seating profitable - maybe they could double as MDE kiosks and maybe also provide shopping. Lol
Cafeteria style is actually the most efficient way of serving big crowds. I know they have some at DL. Having everyone go through with their trays and then sitting down will also help with the seating issue. The order/pay first is the slowest process in food service. As it stands now, IDK how they could make things "hyper-efficient" as you say. The kitchen gets the order, they start working on the order. You can only pre-cook and keep warm food for so long. Cafeteria style has more of a chance of selling more food because it is sitting there looking good and so easy just to grab that brownie. ;) There is your more profit.

lazyboy97o

You keep bringing up a rule that is almost never applied. It is a very limited, seasonal policy that creates its own crowding problems.

They won't "fix" it because people are no longer reasonable. You will have trashy people yell at and threaten the cast members because "no one is going to tell me what to do". And in this day and age of social media, it is only a matter of time before something happens and it gets blown up giving Disney a bad name. They have gotten to the point that they just let the monkeys have their way in the zoo and stay out of it. People do not have any shame or humility any more and are greedy, rude, and act entitled. Just read these posts at how many come right out and say that they are going to do whatever they want, no matter how it affects others. And it just snow balls down. It starts with a few then others, like you, say "hey, if everyone else is doing it then so will I. I'ts not my problem." Doing the right thing should be the rule, not the exception.
It has worked for years at Universal Orlando Resort.

Im talking about full dining capacity, not just seating. I’m also well aware of how restaurants have highly curved demand. Across the board, Disney has sub-standard capacity because they have been able to convince people that it is actually a positive. Instead of blaming Disney, people are blaming other guests for reacting to the lack of capacity, lack of non-dining seating and the design of the venues themselves.

ninjaprincesst

You keep bringing up a rule that is almost never applied. It is a very limited, seasonal policy that creates its own crowding problems.

It has worked for years at Universal Orlando Resort.

Im talking about full dining capacity, not just seating. I’m also well aware of how restaurants have highly curved demand. Across the board, Disney has sub-standard capacity because they have been able to convince people that it is actually a positive. Instead of blaming Disney, people are blaming other guests for reacting to the lack of capacity, lack of non-dining seating and the design of the venues themselves.
What it all boils down to is unless Disney implements and enforces rules that keep the rude entitled people from holding tables there is always going to be a problem because as many on her have shown, there are too many rude people who have no manners or any regard for any one other than themselves, and as long as they are not stopped they will hold a table and watch the family that is trying to balance a kid on each hip and eat standing over the trashcan while they sit there 20 minutes away from having food.

lazyboy97o

What it all boils down to is unless Disney implements and enforces rules that keep the rude entitled people from holding tables there is always going to be a problem because as many on her have shown, there are too many rude people who have no manners or any regard for any one other than themselves, and as long as they are not stopped they will hold a table and watch the family that is trying to balance a kid on each hip and eat standing over the trashcan while they sit there 20 minutes away from having food.
And there it is, you are blaming others for a problem intentionally created by Disney.

Chi84

Premium Member
And there it is, you are blaming others for a problem intentionally created by Disney.
Not only that, but in a truly overly dramatic way. We’re talking about tables at a Disney counter service restaurant. Is it necessary for a poster to berate people as bad, uncaring, poor-mannered, rude and selfish over a practice that Disney allows and that many people on this thread believe is appropriate? Right now, the practice of holding tables while someone is ordering food is widely done. Unless Disney institutes some type of different system, someone is going to be walking around with food looking for a table. I’ve done it and lived to tell the tale. It’s not an end of the world scenario.

jaklgreen

Come on now, they didn't intentionally create busy restaurants. And from the looks of things, they are working on creating more seating. Disney isn't the morality police and shouldn't have to make people act decent and not save tables when someone could be using them. That is all human nature. They have at times tried to keep people from going to a table without food and the cast members get yelled at for their efforts. This is not a Disney issue but a society one. How about not everyone going to eat lunch at 12:15. Go earlier or later if you see that the restaurant is so busy that you feel like you need to stake your claim to a table long before you even get your food.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom