Thoughts on "holding" quick service tables?

lazyboy97o

Come on now, they didn't intentionally create busy restaurants. And from the looks of things, they are working on creating more seating. Disney isn't the morality police and shouldn't have to make people act decent and not save tables when someone could be using them. That is all human nature. They have at times tried to keep people from going to a table without food and the cast members get yelled at for their efforts. This is not a Disney issue but a society one. How about not everyone going to eat lunch at 12:15. Go earlier or later if you see that the restaurant is so busy that you feel like you need to stake your claim to a table long before you even get your food.
Disney’s capacity is sub-standard for their visitation and it is an intentional situation. Nothing but themselves prevent more capacity from being added. You’re also contradicting yourself by saying more seating isn’t a fix and then saying that Disney is trying to alleviate the problem by adding more seating.

People shouldn’t have to change their dining habits to make things easier/cheaper for Disney. Universal has done just fine designing and managing facilities where table access is limited. Several posters have also provided very good explanations for how they are being more efficient by splitting up to get a table and food, typically by overlapping getting their children situated while the food is being received.

jaklgreen

Disney’s capacity is sub-standard for their visitation and it is an intentional situation. Nothing but themselves prevent more capacity from being added. You’re also contradicting yourself by saying more seating isn’t a fix and then saying that Disney is trying to alleviate the problem by adding more seating.

People shouldn’t have to change their dining habits to make things easier/cheaper for Disney. Universal has done just fine designing and managing facilities where table access is limited. Several posters have also provided very good explanations for how they are being more efficient by splitting up to get a table and food, typically by overlapping getting their children situated while the food is being received.

Their capacity may not be sufficient now, but you said they intentionally created this problem. If anything they are apathetic to it. No business wants people standing around not being able to eat their food. They want you to eat and get out and have more turn over. And how is going at a different time for a better chance of getting a table any different then sending half your family to stake out a table? They are both self serving and do not help Disney in the least. You can add all of the seating you want, but the kitchen can still only put out so much food at a time. I rather go early or wait until the rush has ended then go a peak time and deal with a crowded restaurant with a bunch of people fighting over tables.

lazyboy97o

Their capacity may not be sufficient now, but you said they intentionally created this problem. If anything they are apathetic to it. No business wants people standing around not being able to eat their food. They want you to eat and get out and have more turn over. And how is going at a different time for a better chance of getting a table any different then sending half your family to stake out a table? They are both self serving and do not help Disney in the least. You can add all of the seating you want, but the kitchen can still only put out so much food at a time. I rather go early or wait until the rush has ended then go a peak time and deal with a crowded restaurant with a bunch of people fighting over tables.
Closing venues as attendance increases is intentional. Not adding capacity as attendance increases is intentional. Disney absolutely wants people standing around. That’s the whole reason FastPass was created, to get people standing around. Disney doesn’t have to worry about people going to a competing restaurant so they don’t mind people standing around. Venues don’t even have to be large as evidenced by little Casey’s which keeps getting brought up but all that waiting and lack of seating hasn’t given anyone the rather obvious idea of opening up another hot dog stand.

Once again, others have already broken down how splitting their party can help increase turn over by simultaneously accomplishing tasks instead of doing them linearly.

How many times do I have to say that I am not just talking about seating capacity? Increasing total dining capacity means also increasing kitchen capacity.

unmitigated disaster

Yeah, but part of the problem is that people tend to want to eat at noon and then at six. It's true here in Tucson, too, and when we go out to eat we get there early and are seated right away and are often walking out through crowded waiting areas. And Disney simply doesn't want to build a restaurant that can hold 300 or however many tables and I get that. Olive Garden or my local Greek place don't want to, either.

jaklgreen

Closing venues as attendance increases is intentional. Not adding capacity as attendance increases is intentional. Disney absolutely wants people standing around. That’s the whole reason FastPass was created, to get people standing around. Disney doesn’t have to worry about people going to a competing restaurant so they don’t mind people standing around. Venues don’t even have to be large as evidenced by little Casey’s which keeps getting brought up but all that waiting and lack of seating hasn’t given anyone the rather obvious idea of opening up another hot dog stand.

Once again, others have already broken down how splitting their party can help increase turn over by simultaneously accomplishing tasks instead of doing them linearly.

How many times do I have to say that I am not just talking about seating capacity? Increasing total dining capacity means also increasing kitchen capacity.

Where do you propose that they add more kitchen space to these existing restaurants? And you are saying that they are only taking away venues. What do you call Be Our Guest with seating capacity over 500? And Skipper Canteen? You seem to be blinded by your anger about having to wait to eat at peak times that you are grasping at straws here trying to blame Disney for their own success. Magic Kingdom has 5 full service restaurants, 1 buffet, and 6 counter service places open right now. Not to mention numerous kiosks that you can get other food like turkey legs, sandwiches, and other food stuff. They have the capacity to, and DO serve thousands and thousands of people in an hour. And the Launching pad does sell hot dogs. There are plenty of places to get food. But the reality of it is people just can't seem to put 2 brain cells together and go and eat at off times. Any place is going to have a backup when a big group of people all show up at the same time. You are on vacation and have flexibility to eat whenever you want. It's not like this is your lunch break and have to get back to work. Eat a snack and then go back for lunch later, big deal.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
No I'm blaming the rude table savers, who create the problem by saving tables, they don't save tables. no problem.
I have asked this a couple times, but maybe if I quote you, I'll get an answer.

What do we do about people who linger after they finish eating?

What do we do about slow eaters who take up a table for an hour?

You seem to think that forming a queue of families holding trays of rapidly cooling food(where this queue will be, god only knows) is preferable to having the group split up and do things in timely, efficient manner.

The only way this works is if there are also rules regulating how long you may take up a table, we need CMs going table to table and shooing people along.

Are you also for this type of enforcement?

Chi84

Premium Member
Where do you propose that they add more kitchen space to these existing restaurants? And you are saying that they are only taking away venues. What do you call Be Our Guest with seating capacity over 500? And Skipper Canteen? You seem to be blinded by your anger about having to wait to eat at peak times that you are grasping at straws here trying to blame Disney for their own success. Magic Kingdom has 5 full service restaurants, 1 buffet, and 6 counter service places open right now. Not to mention numerous kiosks that you can get other food like turkey legs, sandwiches, and other food stuff. They have the capacity to, and DO serve thousands and thousands of people in an hour. And the Launching pad does sell hot dogs. There are plenty of places to get food. But the reality of it is people just can't seem to put 2 brain cells together and go and eat at off times. Any place is going to have a backup when a big group of people all show up at the same time. You are on vacation and have flexibility to eat whenever you want. It's not like this is your lunch break and have to get back to work. Eat a snack and then go back for lunch later, big deal.
This is good advice - we always eat at off times at Disney. It takes a bit of planning, but what doesn't at Disney these days. If a restaurant is so crowded that we don't think we have a decent shot at getting a table before our food will be ready, we come back later or go elsewhere. We plan our FastPasses around having lunch at a later time. Then again, we don't have young children with us anymore - at least not until our grandson is born!

Chi84

Premium Member
All this silly bickering over a problem that isn't even a problem. Tell me where you ACTUALLY have an impossible time finding somewhere to sit, even right smack at noon.

1. Casey's

That's pretty much the extent of the list.
This is so true. Even at Pecos Bill's we've been able to find a table, although there were times it was a bit tough. We don't eat at Casey's because of the impossibility of finding a table and, you know, the food.

As for the bickering, I think some people get a kick out of labeling people who don't see things the same way as rude, ill-mannered, selfish, etc. There isn't a lot of actual reasoning going on.

lazyboy97o

Be Our Guest is one additional venue. Skipper Canteen partially replaced a quick service venue. Tortilla Tavern is closed more often than open. Tomorrow and Terrace is closed. That is all capacity intended to serve about half of the Magic Kingdom’s current visitation. Other parks also have shuttered or under used facilities built to serve lesser visitation.

ninjaprincesst

I have asked this a couple times, but maybe if I quote you, I'll get an answer.

What do we do about people who linger after they finish eating?

What do we do about slow eaters who take up a table for an hour?

You seem to think that forming a queue of families holding trays of rapidly cooling food(where this queue will be, god only knows) is preferable to having the group split up and do things in timely, efficient manner.

The only way this works is if there are also rules regulating how long you may take up a table, we need CMs going table to table and shooing people along.

Are you also for this type of enforcement?
I think you are just trying to create more issues, there is no excuse for the rude people that hold tables, yes there are slow eaters and those that linger, but lets face it the entitled people are a MAJOR problem, and there is just no reason someone siting there just hogging a table because they think they are better than everyone else, if they were not sitting there someone with food could sit there , period the end and there are way more rude, entitled table hoggers than there are slow eaters or lingering people. I guess being nice is just too much to ask of some people.

CaptainAmerica

I think you are just trying to create more issues, there is no excuse for the rude people that hold tables, yes there are slow eaters and those that linger, but lets face it the entitled people are a MAJOR problem, and there is just no reason someone siting there just hogging a table because they think they are better than everyone else, if they were not sitting there someone with food could sit there , period the end and there are way more rude, entitled table hoggers than there are slow eaters or lingering people. I guess being nice is just too much to ask of some people.
Pst, nobody agrees with you.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I disagree. I think there are more slow eaters and table lingering. I’m just trying to understand your point of view.

I think it’s only fair, if you can’t hold a table for 5 min before you eat, then you shouldn’t be able to sit for 5 minutes finishing your drink or whatever.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

John park hopper

Never having worked in the food services industry is there some standard amount of time for people to finish a meal before the serving staff tries to hustle them out? What would be a reasonable time at WDW QS for people to eat before they are considered lingerers/table hogs? I'll be at WDW in May and don't want to be branded a lingerer

lazyboy97o

Never having worked in the food services industry is there some standard amount of time for people to finish a meal before the serving staff tries to hustle them out? What would be a reasonable time at WDW QS for people to eat before they are considered lingerers/table hogs? I'll be at WDW in May and don't want to be branded a lingerer
Most decent places aren’t going to pressure people to leave but quick service turn over in a theme park is expected to be 20-25 minutes.

jaklgreen

Nobody ever really hustles you out, unless it is way past closing. It is very situational and people should police themselves. At WDW, most people eat and leave because they want to get on more rides. The ones that usually linger are those with smaller kids, elderly, or have medical issues. I work in food and the people that stick out are the ones that bring their lap top in, take up a table that is meant for 6, order only coffee and then sit there taking up the table during lunch rush. That is beyond rude and inconsiderate but we see it often. Just be aware of your surroundings and be a reasonable person. If you are eating during peak times and your family is done, if you see that others are walking around and looking for tables then give your table up. Frankly it all comes down to common sense and awareness of others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom