Thoughts on "holding" quick service tables?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Unless you have a member of your party that cannot stand while you are waiting to be served then you should not occupy a table.
Except that tables aren't at a premium anywhere other than Casey's or at Christmas. 95% of the time, there is plenty of available seating so scoping out a table or two that allows your family to sit together is perfectly fine.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It's not common courtesy to do things in an efficient fashion. I have a little nuclear family of 4. I do the ordering while my wife finds a table and texts me the location. I order quickly, no dilly dallying, no taking up extra space in the queue. By the time I pick up the food, then drop it at the table, then head back to the condiments/napkins/forks set up, my wife has the kids sat, clean and ready to go. THAT is the best, quickest, smartest way to operate. It reduces the overall amount of time we are in the restaurant, while ensuring that we turn the table over quickly.

Let me tell you what isn't efficient. 4 people in line, 2 of them under 5 years old. Waiting to order food as a group. Staring at the menu, deciding, changing minds, etc...taking up space. Then we all order, then we all wait for the food, then we all stand around in a big group, holding food, trying to find an empty table. Then we finally find a table. Sit down, get back up to go to condiment bar. Then get back, then clean up the kids, then start eating. This way takes much longer and ensures we are both occupying space in the restaurant for a longer amount of time, and at absolute BEST, holding the table for the exact same amount of time.
This guy gets it.

Yes, sending the family to sit down means you're taking up a table earlier than you would have, but you're also leaving earlier too, freeing up time for folks coming behind you.

jaklgreen

The issue isn't in the kitchen, the issue is in the ordering area. Two people ordering for six is absolutely faster than six people ordering all together.
All depends on the dynamic. This statement is not an absolute. If you have 2 parents and 4 kids, dad is watching the kids and mom is ordering. It is no different then mom going up herself to order, the others are just standing there. The thing that holds up the line has zero to do with the amount of people, it has to do with being prepared. Know what you want BEFORE you get to the cashier.

TongaToast21

Original Poster
All depends on the dynamic. This statement is not an absolute. If you have 2 parents and 4 kids, dad is watching the kids and mom is ordering. It is no different then mom going up herself to order, the others are just standing there. The thing that holds up the line has zero to do with the amount of people, it has to do with being prepared. Know what you want BEFORE you get to the cashier.
agree with this. Most places aren't walk ups, you have plenty of time to figure out what you want in the time it takes to actually reach the register. At Chicken Guy, they give you a menu to look at while in line. The party in front of me took at least 5 minutes at the register. Come on!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
That's a fantastic theory, but it's not how children (or wives) work in the real world. If you try to order with all of those people in earshot of the cashier, the order is going to change ten times before you tap the band or swipe the card no matter how much you think you've made up your mind. Junior is going to start punching Sister, mom is going to decide the salad might look good on second thought..., sister is going to scream that she's sick of apple juice and wants chocolate milk instead, dad is going to start worrying about the credit card bill, and mom is going to eventually circle back around to the burger, but hold the onions, please.

Conversely, if dad "locks in" the order and sends the rest of the family on their way, they don't have the opportunity to be a PITA at the cashier. He shows up at the table with the tray and everyone gets what they get (and they don't get upset).

DISNEY_M@

Usually my wife and kids find a table while I order. When ordering at places like Casey’s Corner there is such little space (especially during peak times [all the time now]) I would rather have my party find a table instead of clogging up the ordering queue. I do understand there are times this isn’t feasible, but it makes ordering and carrying the food out much easier.

disneyfireman

There is nothing wrong with a member of members holding a table while the other orders. Who cares..I mean like 90% of families do it. Until threads like this..its never an issue... Why have all four wait in line and order..just go get a table. Its simple..not brain surgery.
Kinda the normal expected thing to do...like don't drive slow in a fast lane....

disneyfireman

Usually my wife and kids find a table while I order. When ordering at places like Casey’s Corner there is such little space (especially during peak times [all the time now]) I would rather have my party find a table instead of clogging up the ordering queue. I do understand there are times this isn’t feasible, but it makes ordering and carrying the food out much easier.
Yep. Its kinda common sense to hold a table while one orders.. Don't understand why others look down on this..maybe they didn't get enough attention...or they were hall monitors....

Last edited:

disneyfireman

It's not common courtesy to do things in an efficient fashion. I have a little nuclear family of 4. I do the ordering while my wife finds a table and texts me the location. I order quickly, no dilly dallying, no taking up extra space in the queue. By the time I pick up the food, then drop it at the table, then head back to the condiments/napkins/forks set up, my wife has the kids sat, clean and ready to go. THAT is the best, quickest, smartest way to operate. It reduces the overall amount of time we are in the restaurant, while ensuring that we turn the table over quickly.

Let me tell you what isn't efficient. 4 people in line, 2 of them under 5 years old. Waiting to order food as a group. Staring at the menu, deciding, changing minds, etc...taking up space. Then we all order, then we all wait for the food, then we all stand around in a big group, holding food, trying to find an empty table. Then we finally find a table. Sit down, get back up to go to condiment bar. Then get back, then clean up the kids, then start eating. This way takes much longer and ensures we are both occupying space in the restaurant for a longer amount of time, and at absolute BEST, holding the table for the exact same amount of time.
See, we agree on this....;-)

2Shoes

When trying to eat at a quick service spot (Casey's, Woody's notably) in any of the parks, do you send someone in your party to go and find/wait for an empty table? If they are successful, they essentially will be at a table with no food while you to wait in line, order food, wait for food, and then find them. Meanwhile people that have their trays of food are left standing looking for a spot. Occasionally I used to partake in this, but this most recent trip I realized how annoying this is when I see other people do it, so we stopped. What do you all think?

OG Runner

What you want to do is get your whole party to get in line, purchase your food and then pick out a table you want to sit at.
It doesn't matter if it is already occupied, just have your whole party stand there, with your trays, staring at the people at the
table, until they finally leave. :joyfull: (Sorry, I would send someone from my party to try to get a table, while I order and once they
get one they should protect it, like a wolf guarding it's den. They should also clean it off.)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Wouldn't it be even more efficient if the wife picked up napkins, straws, utensils and condiments on the way to finding your table? Less backtracking that way...

OG Runner

Okay, now if we could put together a flow chart. DH will gather orders and purchase food, making sure to have his method of payment in hand ready to hand over or swipe. DW will obtain and table and make sure it is clean. Child #1 with gather straws and napkins. Child #2 will obtain condiments for the whole party. If the family only has one Child, Child #1 will gather straws, napkins and condiments. :joyfull:

wombat

Rubbish.

Chi84

Premium Member
I am all in favor of being courteous to other guests, but I'm also entitled to a reasonably comfortable dining experience (or what passes for one at Disney). At a minimum, that includes a table and enough time to enjoy what I'm eating. If a restaurant looks so busy that it might be difficult to find a table, I'll scout one out and hold it while my husband is ordering food. We don't "linger," but we may decide to take a few extra minutes to finish our drinks and let our food digest before heading back out into the heat and humidity. It's not my job to solve Disney's capacity problems by eating on a garbage can lid or planning out the logistics of occupying a table for the shortest time possible.

To the extent that saving tables is a problem, it can only be solved by Disney. It's much too common a practice to be solved by just some of the people doing things the "right" way and getting food before finding a table. In order for that practice to be efficient, everyone must do it, and that's only possible with some type of policy that Disney is willing to enforce.

lazyboy97o

In order for that practice to be efficient, everyone must do it, and that's only possible with some type of policy that Disney is willing to enforce.
Disney has tried to enforce such a policy in the relatively recent past, but I think they have stopped trying. There really is no place for parties to wait other than at a table.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom