Thoughts on bringing kids to Disney

kybred72

Original Poster
Someday we will take our daughter to Disney (right now she's 3 1/2) but when talking about WHEN we always get varying opinions from our friends and the grandparents on what age is appropriate to take kids to Disney. I hear a lot of "she'll be too young to remember the trip or she won't enjoy it, blah, blah, blah"

I personally (and I hope I don't offend anyone) don't understand taking a baby/infant who can't walk to Disney. What's the point?

So if you've taken your kids to Disney what age do you suggest is the 'perfect' age?

SpongeScott

kybred72 said:
Someday we will take our daughter to Disney (right now she's 3 1/2) but when talking about WHEN we always get varying opinions from our friends and the grandparents on what age is appropriate to take kids to Disney. I hear a lot of "she'll be too young to remember the trip or she won't enjoy it, blah, blah, blah"

I personally (and I hope I don't offend anyone) don't understand taking a baby/infant who can't walk to Disney. What's the point?

So if you've taken your kids to Disney what age do you suggest is the 'perfect' age?
whatever age YOU decide to take them is the perfect age.

Edited so that I don't make the masses mad.

tigsmom

Don't listen to "other people" do whatever you want.

My oldest had her first trip at 4, but thats only because we couldn't afford it earlier. With my youngest...around 20 months. I can honestly say that both kids enjoyed their first trips (and I have the photos to prove it!). We have been back many times since and we still enjoy every minute.

SarahBella82

I took my nieces: three and six. Here's what they loved: Minnie's house, the small playground across from Minnie's house, and the Magic Carpets. Once they had a new toy (a Pooh bear for the 3yo, a doll for the 6yo), that's all they wanted to play with. The 3yo slept through Small World, though she fought like heck to stay awake! And the 6yo LOVED the Mad Tea Party (we couldn't spin fast enough for her!).

I guess I would say that it depends on the kid; my nieces are simple chicks; playgrounds are enough stimulation. But now that they've been and they're a year older, they're asking to go again and want to hear more about the rides. We'll see in October when we take them again.

It all worked out okay that day, though, cause my mom watched the girls, and my sister and I got to ride whatever we wanted while the girls played outside. :)

loribeth

kybred72 said:
Just because they can't walk doesn't mean they can't go on rides and have fun. We've been taking my cousin's daughter to Disney World since she was around six or seven months old. Granted, we are lucky enough to live about twenty miles away. But she has always loved it. When she was an infant her favorite thing to do was watch the parades. She'd have a big smile on her face and clap the entire time.

CAPTAIN HOOK

From personal experience - 1st trip 1994

2yrs old = too young to remember and too young for most rides
5yrs old = enjoyed everything she did, able to enjoy a lot of rides and attractions

7 yrs old = An ideal age ? Rode everything she wanted and enjoyed the Disney Experience
10 yrs old = Able to do whatever she wanted.

In short - the perfect age for a first trip would be between 5 and 7 years old

shoppingnut

We took my nephew when he was 2 1/2 and while he doesn't remember everything, there are certain things he does remember and it's always fun when he brings them up.

Raven66

We took our DD for her first trip when she turned 5 she is almost 10 now. It was perfect for us. She was tall enough for all the rides except RnRC and AE (when it was there). We didn't do Epcot that year. I think that you should do what you think is best. If you feel in your heart that you shouldn't take your kids when they are young then don't. Trust your instincts. :wave:

Bobble

I think that height is more a factor than age. I mean if they can't ride most of the rides it seems like alot of money to spend on a trip when all you are doing is walking around and only riding the attractions for younger audiences.

MKCP 1985

kybred72 said:

The reasons people take their small children to the parks are because the parents enjoy the park, the child's admission is free, and there is an overwhelming amount of stimulation of the senses for the child, making for an enjoyable (child-centered) experience. The parents, who have already been to the parks and are familiar with the experiences, enjoy reliving it again "for the first time" through the eyes of their child. Moreover, the baby pictures of the little ones sitting with Mom on Cinderella's Carousel or the video of the little one seeing "the doll babies" on Its a Small World or waving at the characters in the afternoon parade - all can be positive things.

An infant won't remember the day - neither will most 3 or 4 year olds - but they will enjoy watching the videos and looking at the photographs when they are older, all of which will reinforce a positive perception of Walt Disney World.

If the parents have never been, they may not want their first trip to be with their infant, because having a wee one defiinitely affects what you do and for how long. Taking a wee one might mean a slower pace, a mid-day retreat to the hotel for a naptime, and other behavior modifications which, if not done, make the trip less pleasurable for everyone involved.

I don't believe there is a "perfect" age, as the things the children can do and enjoy change as your children age. I do think the Magic Kingdom experience is most enjoyable by children who are 12 or under, although everyone can enjoy the park if they have the right attitude. The Disney-MGM Studios park is more enjoyed by the teens, and EPCOT is most enjoyed by adults. I'm not sure where Disney Animal Kingdom fits.

But I wouldn't wait too long to take my kid. Today, I wouldn't give up my home videos of my now teenagers tromping around the parks back when they were "ankle biters" for anything. And those videos are the ones the kids most want to watch, too.

tigsmom

Bobble said:
I think that height is more a factor than age. I mean if they can't ride most of the rides it seems like alot of money to spend on a trip when all you are doing is walking around and only riding the attractions for younger audiences.

Child Swap, no need to miss out on anything.

Life changes when you have kids and who says you have to ride every ride on every trip? A first trip should be about the child and there are plenty of things for them to see and do. Some parents take advantage of the child sitting services for an evening out and a quiet dinner. :wave:

David

We took our son when he was four and half and it could not have been better for us. I'll never forget that first trip with him and so many magical moments. A couple of them stick out in my mind, so forgive me for a little trip down memory lane.

One night we were leaving Epcot and went into MouseGear. There were not many people in the store and all of a sudden, Mickey walks out. Our son ran up to see him and they both gave each other the biggest hug. Luckily I have it on tape and whenever we watch it, a big ole lump comes to my throat.

Another one was as I held him in my arms to watch Fantasy in the Sky. He turned to me and said, "Oh, Daddy, I wish I could live here forever!" You could just feel him take in all the magic.

It was a great trip and and great age to take him, but of course every child is different. You'll have a great time, whenever you go!

kybred72

Original Poster
Bobble said:

Good point Bobble! Will measure her tonight when I get home!

Thanks to everybody for your thoughts and comments! :wave:

kybred72

Original Poster
David said:
We took our son when he was four and half and it could not have been better for us. I'll never forget that first trip with him and so many magical moments. A couple of them stick out in my mind, so forgive me for a little trip down memory lane.

One night we were leaving Epcot and went into MouseGear. There were not many people in the store and all of a sudden, Mickey walks out. Our son ran up to see him and they both gave each other the biggest hug. Luckily I have it on tape and whenever we watch it, a big ole lump comes to my throat.

Another one was as I held him in my arms to watch Fantasy in the Sky. He turned to me and said, "Oh, Daddy, I wish I could live here forever!" You could just feel him take in all the magic.

It was a great trip and and great age to take him, but of course every child is different. You'll have a great time, whenever you go!

Ahhh, David, that makes my heart melt. I know my daughter would have the same kind of sincere reaction. And the truth is, I really wish we could live there forever! :animwink:

CoffeeJedi

i wouldn't take kids who aren't old enough to get through at least a whole day of school yet, so the summer after first grade i guess

Yellow Shoes

My Dad gave each of my sons a trip to WDW as a 5th birthday present.

It was a good age--old enough to WALK all day, tall enough to ride nearly everything (except Indy Speedway), and mature enough not to be scared of dark rides.

You could reason with them--we will do the teacups now, then we will do something that I want to do.

Yet at that age there is still plenty of wonder and joy at seeing characters and they do live the fantasy.

Since1976

I think the question of when to bring your kids to Disney is moot, unless you only plan on bringing them once in their lifetime!

If that is the case, then age 7 or 8 is about right for most rides at WDW. But why would you only bring them once?!?

Of course, most fans here go to WDW for themselves, not just for the kids, and as such plan on going multiple times, no matter how young our children are!

On our last trip, some relatives could not understand why we were taking our barely year-and-a-half old daughter, when "she won't remember anything!" They just didn't get that we were going because WE wanted to go, and for us, being able to watch the baby experience it was just a terrific bonus.

bidnow5

It depends on the child we took our youngest when she was 2 and the following year when we went back she remembered more than we did. She showed us around at 3
Glen

jim1051

our first trip, our kids were 3.8, 7, 11

our last trip Dec 2006 our kids were 25, 29. 33 grand kids were 3, 5

Seems that everyone always has good time my youngest son remembers very little about his first trip except the plane ride.

Our Grand daughter now 3.5, always asks when can we return. I guess evberyone is different, and short term memory and long term vary but so far sg=he remembers alot of things like princess breakfasts, cinderellabration, dumbo ride. I say if you can afford it go now and enjoy the moment.

Craig & Lisa

First trip was in 97, oldest son was 4 and the younger was 2 1/2, had no problems with either one, and the younger one always loved to see POOH. That was his fav, he even slept with a stuffed one. In all the time since then he never had a problem with any characters. that was our experience, you choose for youself. Unless your child is easily frienghtened, go for it. Besides if you want to save on some cash bring a folding stroller.:animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom