Thoughts on Avatar after experiencing Cars Land

Some friends are joining us on several days of our Disney Trip (they are staying in Daytona) and we were told that they have no interest in joining us at Animal Kingdom, the only thing they enjoy there is EE and if they wanted to see animals they can just go to the zoo. (I understanding AK is not probably your top destination when you are only spending a few days at the parks, but their attitude about AK was very interesting....especially because I KNOW they have never been on KS.) My family decided to take a nice slow, long day at AK and enjoy everything, including some of the things we don't normally do (like the animal trails) and then end with Dinner at Boma. I love EE but there is a lot more to do at AK that you won't find at the zoo (at least our local zoo, which is awesome, but still!)

TP2000

If people would just chill the heck out when they're in DAK (or in life), we'd never have to have another circular conversation about it being a half day park ever again. Take some time to smell the watusi dung...

I hear you, believe me. I'm an old fart myself, old enough to have actually danced the Watusi on a dance floor when people danced the Watusi instead of Twerked, or whatever the kids are doing now. I can also do the Mashed Potato. :cool:

But as lofty as the "Vision" may be for DAK, it's still just a theme park, like Epcot and Magic Kingdom and Disneyland and DCA. And people go to theme parks to go on rides. Rides. Put people in a moving vehicle and send them on a ride past scenery and singing robots and fancy props, and add some fun G Forces in on at least a few of them.

It's a theme park. A theme park needs rides, or else it's not a theme park. Every big city in the country already has a good zoo.

TP2000

Good point. I havent been to the revamped DCA yet, but as a first time visitor- I'm planning on spending 1.5-2 days there. Is DCA really just a "full day park" or is it more than that? (Haven't ever been)

There's a lot at DCA that is cloned or copied from various WDW parks. It's Tough To Be A Bug, Tower of Terror, Midway Mania, Little Mermaid, Soarin' Over California, etc. If you want to focus on just the DCA exclusives, you could do it all in one big Commando Day. But if you wanted to take it all in, go on the WDW clones plus see the Pixar Play Parade and World of Color, it might be wiser to take 1.5 days to see it all.

I doubt you'd need two full days to see all of DCA, but if you did do two full days you could repeat a few favorites and make sure to see Disney's Aladdin and have a great dinner Carthay Circle Theater, do the Bakery Tour before having lunch at Boudin Café, etc., etc. Compared to the "second gates" at WDW, DCA is a very fleshed out park with a great deal to offer, and a wonderful tapestry of offerings from B Ticket Spinners, to Disney dark rides, to impressive Broadway-style stage shows and major entertainment, to big Disney E Ticket attractions like only Walt could do.

TP2000

I think you're being very generous in your ride rankings. I'd definitely drop Kali and Primeval Whirl down to at least a D and at least a C. IMO, B tickets are things like spinners, flat rides, etc.

Grizzly River Run has an extra three minutes of ride time, not to mention an extra drop, compared to Kali River Rapids. But I ranked them comparably as E Tickets because I was just trying to be nice to hardcore WDW fans who have never been to Disneyland and assume WDW is the best thing since sliced bread. (WDW's Castle is HUGE, so, you know.) Same thing with Primeval Whirl.

It's hard to explain to people who have never been to Disneyland, after all. If I dropped two of DAK's very few rides down a notch, I was afraid I'd hurt people's feelings. I was just trying to be polite.:)

To your point on B Tickets, Walt Disney used to rank some spinners and flat rides as C Tickets, based purely on popularity and getting an extra nickel or dime out of his "Guests" because he knew they would pay it. Shame on you Walt! :D

cticket.jpg

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Rides, rides rides, that's all anyone cares about. If it can't be marked off on a list and compared to a similar list from some other park, it has no value to the ADD generation (which is now partnering with Apple and Samsung to raise an even ADD-ier generation).

Know what Animal Kingdom has?

Wait for it...

Animals! If people would just chill the heck out when they're in DAK (or in life), we'd never have to have another circular conversation about it being a half day park ever again. Take some time to smell the watusi dung. Honestly I could spend 9 to 6 in DAK only riding KS and spending the rest of the day with the animals. But nobody has an appreciation for living things any more. At least not enough of an appreciation to slow down and take it in for awhile.

End rant.

The irony is in a way this is true of all Disney parks. If all you want are rides you're better off at Cedar Point, Six Flags, or even many regional parks because they have rides that blow Disney away, they won't have the storyline or theming of a Disney ride but chances are they'll be far more thrilling.

Disney is made to be taken in, it's the details that set it apart from amusement parks, the rides may be the primary reason to go but it's everything else that keeps people going back. I've been to DLR dozens of times, some days I'll go commando and do 30-40 rides hopping between the parks, other days I'll slow down and only do a half dozen rides, both days are immensely fun.

When I made my first trip to WDW a few years ago I was pleasantly surprised by both HS and AK because I had read so much about how they were half day parks but also a little frustrated because I only planned one day each and still didn't feel I had enough time to fully explore them.

bhodge

I am totally with you on the EXPERIENCE part. I actually get frustrated at Kings Island - my local "Cedar Fair Fancy Carnival" (refuse to call it a theme park anymore) that all I can do is ride, ride, ride. I long for a slower area where I can sit and relax and have something to do other than listen to pop music blare out of speakers and watch rag tag teenagers run to cut line for the next great thrill. I wish there were more slow-down moments. I love all that AK is. That's why I love Dollywood. I don't feel bad sitting in a rocking chair by the grist mill for a hour - being. Im only 40 so NO I'm not an old fart. I think some of the people complaining about AK should swap and come here for a day at Kings Island and get their head spun in 40 different directions non-stop then head home happy!!!!! I think some people need to reset their expectations when visiting.AND to say it is a zoo - I WISH my awesome - award winning local zoo had immersive ways to experience animals like KS and the intricately designed animal trails. I see AK as a "best of both" scenario.

flyerjab

Rides, rides rides, that's all anyone cares about. If it can't be marked off on a list and compared to a similar list from some other park, it has no value to the ADD generation (which is now partnering with Apple and Samsung to raise an even ADD-ier generation).

Know what Animal Kingdom has?

Wait for it...

Animals! If people would just chill the heck out when they're in DAK (or in life), we'd never have to have another circular conversation about it being a half day park ever again. Take some time to smell the watusi dung. Honestly I could spend 9 to 6 in DAK only riding KS and spending the rest of the day with the animals. But nobody has an appreciation for living things any more. At least not enough of an appreciation to slow down and take it in for awhile.

End rant.

Sorry that I liked this so late. I just felt I had to as it is an excellent post and one that I agree with 100%. Well done.

flyerjab

I am totally with you on the EXPERIENCE part. I actually get frustrated at Kings Island - my local "Cedar Fair Fancy Carnival" (refuse to call it a theme park anymore) that all I can do is ride, ride, ride. I long for a slower area where I can sit and relax and have something to do other than listen to pop music blare out of speakers and watch rag tag teenagers run to cut line for the next great thrill. I wish there were more slow-down moments. I love all that AK is. That's why I love Dollywood. I don't feel bad sitting in a rocking chair by the grist mill for a hour - being. Im only 40 so NO I'm not an old fart. I think some of the people complaining about AK should swap and come here for a day at Kings Island and get their head spun in 40 different directions non-stop then head home happy!!!!! I think some people need to reset their expectations when visiting.AND to say it is a zoo - I WISH my awesome - award winning local zoo had immersive ways to experience animals like KS and the intricately designed animal trails. I see AK as a "best of both" scenario.

Another great DAK post. You get it!

And yes, at the moment, DAK is my favorite WDW park, and it will only get better over the next 2 years.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
As per the usual, I feel like I'm somewhere in the middle ground on this debate. Do I enjoy the themed areas of DAK? Yes, immensely actually. It is the prettiest theme park I routinely visit. It is true there are nice animal exhibits. It is also true that nice zoos are fairly common. However, it is a Disney theme park and Disney does seem to get a way with a lackage of experiences that cost real money (i.e. rides) on the Florida property. So, I can see all sides. I think the two rides in Avland (along with the extra atmosphere of the land itself which looks awesome) and a couple of smaller rides in Dinoland would flesh the park out in a very complete way (coupled with the new nighttime show which looks quite nice to me).

@doctornick I believe pointed out that a lot of the rides in DCA are smaller scale. Indeed that is the case. I don't think WDW needs these rides in quite the density that they are present at in DL, but a few more small scale things would really help.

flyerjab

As per the usual, I feel like I'm somewhere in the middle ground on this debate. Do I enjoy the themed areas of DAK? Yes, immensely actually. It is the prettiest theme park I routinely visit. It is true there are nice animal exhibits. It is also true that nice zoos are fairly common. However, it is a Disney theme park and Disney does seem to get a way with a lackage of experiences that cost real money (i.e. rides) on the Florida property. So, I can see all sides. I think the two rides in Avland (along with the extra atmosphere of the land itself which looks awesome) and a couple of smaller rides in Dinoland would flesh the park out in a very complete way (coupled with the new nighttime show which looks quite nice to me).

@doctornick I believe pointed out that a lot of the rides in DCA are smaller scale. Indeed that is the case. I don't think WDW needs these rides in quite the density that they are present at in DL, but a few more small scale things would really help.

As usual, you dazzle with your post.

Where I will disagree with most people, though, is the cost for DAK. Many people simply do not appreciate the cost of the numerous animal exhibits in this park. I bet the cost to build and maintain habitats that are healthy for the animals, along with food and the medical upkeep for the animals, is in totality astronomical. Does it equate to a less overall number of rides, most probably. However, I have always held that at the very least, both walking trails in Africa and Asia are at least D/D+ ride equivalents due to the beautiful theming and the animals themselves. If you take those out, I bet this park has at least 2 to 3 more actual rides.

Also, something else that I feel is worth mentioning here, and this is for those diehard Epcot fans out there (here's looking at you @sshindel!:)). The amount of animal and natural edutainment that is available in this park is very high. My daughter loves reading all of the journals along the animal walking paths. There is a ton of info in them related to animals and their habitats. To me, it is very much a nod to the high ideals that WDW had for Epcot.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
As usual, you dazzle with your post.

Where I will disagree with most people, though, is the cost for DAK. Many people simply do not appreciate the cost of the numerous animal exhibits in this park. I bet the cost to build and maintain habitats that are healthy for the animals, along with food and the medical upkeep for the animals, is in totality astronomical. Does it equate to a less overall number of rides, most probably. However, I have always held that at the very least, both walking trails in Africa and Asia are at least D/D+ ride equivalents due to the beautiful theming and the animals themselves. If you take those out, I bet this park has at least 2 to 3 more actual rides.

Also, something else that I feel is worth mentioning here, and this is for those diehard Epcot fans out there (here's looking at you @sshindel!:)). The amount of animal and natural edutainment that is available in this park is very high. My daughter loves reading all of the journals along the animal walking paths. There is a ton of info in them related to animals and their habitats. To me, it is very much a nod to the high ideals that WDW had for Epcot.
And, I would rather them continue those ideas and build out a new section, or further expand the sections they have (Asia, in particular, could be improved upon immensely).

Or, build out the "beastly kingdom" with unique IP that was originally planned.

Instead, they are installing 8 foot tall smurfs from Fern Gully. (I kid, I kid)

That said, as long as they do Avatar well (and it looks like they are if the models and sketches even come close to what the final product is), I'm sure it will be a great experience. One that I think "fits" better thematically at HS, but a great experience nonetheless.

MKCP 1985

On the point of merchandise, in the same way Star Wars fans can get a carbonite replica of their own likeness and storm trooper, and tie fighter pilot, perhaps Disney will use that technology to allow park guests to purchase their likeness in a blue tiger-like "avatar" figure. The profit margin on those sales would be impressive.

I am looking forward to seeing the final product as it will be an improvement over Camp Minnie Mickey no matter what it turns out to be.

I just hope once open there is no catastrophic failure of the show elements. Disney Animal Kingdom park has proven it will not shut down an attraction to make a costly and time consuming major repair as long as people are queuing up to ride "as-is."

englanddg

One Little Spark...
On the point of merchandise, in the same way Star Wars fans can get a carbonite replica of their own likeness and storm trooper, and tie fighter pilot, perhaps Disney will use that technology to allow park guests to purchase their likeness in a blue tiger-like "avatar" figure. The profit margin on those sales would be impressive.

I am looking forward to seeing the final product as it will be an improvement over Camp Minnie Mickey no matter what it turns out to be.

I just hope once open there is no catastrophic failure of the show elements. Disney Animal Kingdom park has proven it will not shut down an attraction to make a costly and time consuming major repair as long as people are queuing up to ride "as-is."
Sorry, can't help myself. Your concept brings this to mind...

Mr-Bean-ou-apenas-mais-um-Avatar-O-o.jpg

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

Great point. I think (and hope) that EE is a special case. It is the only "big" roller coaster in a park with a small attraction line up. So, I've always thought they were loathe to shut it down until more actual ride type attractions (i.e. the two new rides in Avland) were open. I know that Dinosaur and KS have both operated with things broke for quite a while (in the case of Dinosaur there have been several cases where it was quite ridiculous), but they don't seem too out of line with the maintenance of rides in other parks. I'd have to have a spiral bound notebook every time I boarded Pirates if I wanted to note all the thing that weren't working. EE is really the big outlier since the Yeti taking the swipe at you is the climatic scene to the story of the attraction. Anyway, if we don't see some Yeti work within a year of Pandora opening, I think we'll have to admit that ship has sailed (in this case for the worse).

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Oh, and when my daughter was younger, there was a day where I rode Triceratops Spin with her about 6 times in a row. I was actively trying to break "show" elements.

George Lucas on a Bench

Apparently I'm the only one who thinks RSR is vastly over-rated. Yes, the land is cool, and the rockwork is great. But the ride itself? Meeeeeh.

It has lots of detail, but no depth. You can see everything worth seeing in a single ride-through (the track-split barely counts), unlike say Splash Mountain where I'm still discovering new details after dozens of ride-throughs. And the "climax" is anything but--I found it slow and unexciting, and it feels 'dead' next to the comparatively lively dark ride portion. Yeah, it's a kids ride--shame they had to hitch the concept to the Cars wagon.

No, you're not. It never wowed me like it did apparently everyone else. The outside looks great, the ride itself is fairly fun I guess (my favorite part is the outside portion), but I found the interior dark ride stuff pretty lackluster. There's nothing really to take in (I was absolutely never floored by anything once I boarded the ride--all the effort seemed to have gone into the facade), no memorable scenes or characters, and inevitably I just felt kinda duped by the whole thing. People constantly point out that the car AAs inside are amazing. So why am I not really amazed by them? It's a dumb thrill ride with an amazing facade. I rarely go on it.

doctornick

I think the two rides in Avland (along with the extra atmosphere of the land itself which looks awesome) and a couple of smaller rides in Dinoland would flesh the park out in a very complete way (coupled with the new nighttime show which looks quite nice to me).

Yes, I really think that on top of what we know about (2 Pandora rides, night safaris, RoL) that DAK only needs some smaller additions to truly get "rounded off" and be a complete experience for virtually every parkgoer. Say, 2-3 B- or C-ticket rides (like some dark rides or even flat rides) plus a day time spectacular like a new parade or a day water show like Mythica. I really think that in 2017, the park will finally be close to realizing its full potential but will really be missing only some smaller additions to flesh it out.

The park is great as is and I personally can spend a lot of time there, but I think it needs a bit more rides to truly have the mass appeal that a Disney park needs to avoid the "half day park" stigma.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I totally agree. Not sure where the room for a dark ride between pandora and Africa- have a map to show?
Dinorama being leveled would be totally fine with me. Triceratops spin would need to stay or be repurposed/re themed somehow because that is the only child friendly ride (under 40") in all of AK outside of KS. I think a solid retheming of the area with some decent shops, a dark ride, and a rethemed triceratops would be ideal. Move primeval whirl to another park- maybe HS- and retheme to something else.
As for Kali- that's always been a sore subject for me. It had to opportunity to be a legitimate jungle cruise replacement in that it could have had animals spread throughout. A tiger habitat, birds galore, etc. it could have been breathtaking. Instead it's a ride that gets you wet and is over quickly. That's it. Of everything on your list, this would be the best thing to fix/create. It would be completely unique.

Now the old yeti- he's the least of my problem. Id rather have the 3 above than that. I'm all for fixing the yeti, but if it's one or the other- give me the other.

DAK is great though- love it- my favorite park. But like anything, it could always be better :)

Whether they can squeeze in a ride between Pandora and Africa will really depend on exactly how far Pandora extends towards Africa. I still to early to tell how much of the land area will actually become part of Pandora.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom