Thoughts on Avatar after experiencing Cars Land

RSoxNo1

I totally agree. Not sure where the room for a dark ride between pandora and Africa- have a map to show?
Dinorama being leveled would be totally fine with me. Triceratops spin would need to stay or be repurposed/re themed somehow because that is the only child friendly ride (under 40") in all of AK outside of KS. I think a solid retheming of the area with some decent shops, a dark ride, and a rethemed triceratops would be ideal. Move primeval whirl to another park- maybe HS- and retheme to something else.
As for Kali- that's always been a sore subject for me. It had to opportunity to be a legitimate jungle cruise replacement in that it could have had animals spread throughout. A tiger habitat, birds galore, etc. it could have been breathtaking. Instead it's a ride that gets you wet and is over quickly. That's it. Of everything on your list, this would be the best thing to fix/create. It would be completely unique.

Now the old yeti- he's the least of my problem. Id rather have the 3 above than that. I'm all for fixing the yeti, but if it's one or the other- give me the other.

DAK is great though- love it- my favorite park. But like anything, it could always be better :)
Moving Primeval Whirl doesn't solve the problem it moves it. The problem is it's a horrible attraction and an eyesore. I really think the over-written carney story would have worked if they had an original concept C-ticket dark ride in place of Primeval Whirl. The area would have looked tacky, but far less so than it does with the chunk of real estate devoted to a mass of steel.

The idea behind Primeval Whirl is for it to be a cheap ripoff of DINOSAUR. That could be accomplished with a C-ticket dark ride or better yet an LPS ride with cartoonized dinosaurs instead of realistic dinosaurs.

Regarding the room between Pandora and Africa, there's plenty of room on the new pathway that's connecting the two lands.
http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=28.357190&lon=-81.592278&z=18&m=b

RSoxNo1

Whether they can squeeze in a ride between Pandora and Africa will really depend on exactly how far Pandora extends towards Africa. I still to early to tell how much of the land area will actually become part of Pandora.
Unless Pandora starts right where the Lion King walls are right now, I would think you'd have room for something the size of Splash Mountain.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Unless Pandora starts right where the Lion King walls are right now, I would think you'd have room for something the size of Splash Mountain.

There really isn't that much room there unless they move the perimeter road and get rid of some backstage buildings.

Capture.JPG

RSoxNo1

There really isn't that much room there unless they move the perimeter road and get rid of some backstage buildings.

View attachment 91053
They're going to have to go over that road regardless, right? The road behind all that can certainly be moved as well.
I agree- and I disagree.

I agree that it's a horrible attraction and an eyesore. And really, the bottom line for me is that a mouse coaster has no place at any Disney park- goofys sky school is the only other one. The retheming of goofys made it blend in much better at DCA though- but ultimately Mouse coasters are band aids.

Here is where I disagree. A proper retheming- particularly enclosing the track would be much be a much better alternative for that ride- and not themed there at animal kingdom.
Outside of the box thinking is they go all out and have enclosed new ride vehicles with screens to give more of a 4D type experience. That would be impressive.

Keep in mind- the spinning car is just the car- it doesn't have to spin. Everything about that ride I dislike. The neck breaking twists to the obnoxious music to the theming is just terrible. But enclose the tracks from the public and do a 300 degree screen on the vehicles- whoa...

The scrap heap isn't always the only option. Of course, this is Disney, so we'll likely just get a new paint job and rats instead of meteors and they'll turn it into a ratatouille ride somehow.
Enclosing the track would be an improvement, but the ride itself is still lousy. If you want to keep the track, fine but I'd want to see new cars, better theming and an enclosed track. Whenever Disney re-purposes something they rarely improve on the original. Building something from scratch is typically a better experience every time. I think the only argument against this is Horizons to Mission: SPACE.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They're going to have to go over that road regardless, right? The road behind all that can certainly be moved as well.

No, there is no reason to move the perimeter road for Avatar and the path to Avatar is going to go under the access road that goes into the park.

ctxak98

No doubt- it's Disney- so it'd be a paint job at best.

The best re imagineering I've seen of the area takes dinosaur back to its extinction name, and adds a few giant dinosaur animatronics in a viewing area/attraction behind where Dino-sue is. You're able to see them move, walk, eat, etc. It'd be dinosaurs that the team brought back with them. And for the diorama area, they put in the original excavator coaster/dark ride. I'd love to see something like that. Make the dinosaur area serious instead of carni-like. Tell me boys wouldn't eat that up. "Buy me a t-Rex plush"
These ideas seem a lot like mine I posted a few years ago?! If so thanks!

And I agree!! That area needs a more serious approach! Dinosaurs are awesome!

rioriz

Crush Coaster is a greatly themed mouse coaster....I would love if they enclosed the ride but that will never happen

MarkTwain

That's still a long path without anything on it. Perhaps an animal exhibit?

I think if DLR ever decides to replace their A Bug's Land at DCA, those attractions (and the overgrown-natural theming complete with giant shamrocks) would be a great fit for Animal Kingdom. Scatter some of the A-tickets along that path and create a mini-Bug's Land, with maybe a bug house or a butterfly garden along the way.

That would give the park some more desperately-needed kid-friendly rides, especially useful if they ever decide to replace Chester & Hester's.

Those rides are so basic, I imagine they would easily ship across the country in a couple of trucks.

RSoxNo1

I think if DLR ever decides to replace their A Bug's Land at DCA, those attractions (and the overgrown-natural theming complete with giant shamrocks) would be a great fit for Animal Kingdom. Scatter some of the A-tickets along that path and create a mini-Bug's Land, with maybe a bug house or a butterfly garden along the way.

That would give the park some more desperately-needed kid-friendly rides, especially useful if they ever decide to replace Chester & Hester's.

Those rides are so basic, I imagine they would easily ship across the country in a couple of trucks.
I initially thought that as well. I do think the land in DCA is well done, but the reality is those rides are 100% for children. They're a step below Dumbo in terms of adult appeal. I would much prefer attractions a little more involved with a bug's life theme if they're going to be added to the Animal Kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom