Those dang kids with those Heelez!!!

Pongo

Connor002 said:
Do they or do they not have wheels?
Think about that...

Yes, they do have wheels, but that does not automatically make it a roller skate. I can't wear then on a roller skating rink. They are neither shoes not skates. They are really their own category.

Connor said:
We need to put labels on cups, warning:"Caution, Contents May Be Hot," and you think that people will "exercise caution?" People are idiots. There will/are undoubtedly going to be those who make fools of themselves, and will endanger others in the process. "Those who claim something is foolproof have severely underestimated the power of a fool."

I know that people are idiots. And children can be especially idiotic when supplied with rolling shoes. I don't really take a side on this situation because I I don't really agree with having kids roll around the parks, but making sweeping generalizations and saying that all kids are idiots on wheels isn't fair either. There are going to be kids out there who are responsible.

I'm sure you can attest to that ;)

Connor002

Pongo said:
Yes, they do have wheels, but that does not automatically make it a roller skate. I can't wear then on a roller skating rink. They are neither shoes not skates. They are really their own category.
They have wheels on the bottom. You roll on them! :lookaroun :hammer: Would you rather I said "Rolling Shoes?" It doesn't matter what the name is, the idea is the same.

Luke said:
I know that people are idiots. And children can be especially idiotic when supplied with rolling shoes. I don't really take a side on this situation because I I don't really agree with having kids roll around the parks, but making sweeping generalizations and saying that all kids are idiots on wheels isn't fair either. There are going to be kids out there who are responsible.
Would a responsible child be wearing roller skates into a theme park in the first place? Roller skates are not proper attire for a visit to a theme park, and to add to that, they are (according to what someone said earlier), banned from the park.

Luke said:
I'm sure you can attest to that ;)
You know that's a diffrent matter...

Pongo

Connor002 said:
They have wheels on the bottom. You roll on them! :lookaroun :hammer: Would you rather I said "Rolling Shoes?" It doesn't matter what the name is, the idea is the same.

:lol: I can see us going back and forth about this until the world ends. I guess you just have to have them to understand that they really aren't skates.

Connor said:
Would a responsible child be wearing roller skates into a theme park in the first place? Roller skates are not proper attire for a visit to a theme park, and to add to that, they are (according to what someone said earlier), banned from the park.

However, Heelys are shoes first. A responsible child can wear Heelys wherever they want because they are shoes. I have worn my pair to the mall (long ago) and was responsible and didn't roll around. They were the shoes I wore everywhere, whether I utilized the wheels or not.

And if they are banned from the park, they shouldn't be worn in the park. That's why the wheels can be removed.

Connor002

Pongo said:
:lol: I can see us going back and forth about this until the world ends. I guess you just have to have them to understand that they really aren't skates.
Well, 6/6/06 is almost here... :lookaroun
I just don't understand how you can say that there aren't a form of skates. They have wheels on them! There skates, is some way, shape, or form.
Luke said:
However, Heelys are shoes first.
I remember the days when shoes were just shoes. :lookaroun
Luke said:
A responsible child can wear Heelys wherever they want because they are shoes. I have worn my pair to the mall (long ago) and was responsible and didn't roll around. They were the shoes I wore everywhere, whether I utilized the wheels or not.
You're a good kid; the people mentioned in this thread were careless imbeciles. There's a serious difference.
Luke said:
And if they are banned from the park, they shouldn't be worn in the park. That's why the wheels can be removed.
Really... how many people do you think would remove the wheels, defeating the purpose of the... uh... things (Shoes, Skates, Shates, whatever :lookaroun ).

Pongo

Connor002 said:
Well, 6/6/06 is almost here... :lookaroun
I just don't understand how you can say that there aren't a form of skates. They have wheels on them! There skates, is some way, shape, or form.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one :lol: Case closed.

Connor said:
I remember the days when shoes were just shoes. :lookaroun

Yes, but times are changing... :lookaroun

Connor said:
You're a good kid; the people mentioned in this thread were careless imbeciles. There's a serious difference.

Can you really be so sure that I'm a good kid? :lookaroun :drevil:

Connor said:
Really... how many people do you think would remove the wheels, defeating the purpose of the... uh... things (Shoes, Skates, Shates, whatever :lookaroun ).

It does defeat the purpose, and makes it much easier to walk. I did it a few times when I wanted to make sure I wouldn't fall or anything embarassing like that.

And I prefer the term Skoes :lookaroun

Connor002

Pongo said:
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one :lol: Case closed.
Okay... but I'm still right. :lookaroun
Luke said:
Yes, but times are changing... :lookaroun
Back in my day... :lookaroun
Luke said:
Can you really be so sure that I'm a good kid? :lookaroun :drevil:
Sorry, you just can't pull off the bad guy persona. It's a shame. :( :lookaroun
Luke said:
It does defeat the purpose, and makes it much easier to walk. I did it a few times when I wanted to make sure I wouldn't fall or anything embarassing like that.
Which brings us back to the "People are idiots" idea... buying Shates/Skoes then proceeding to remove wheels is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. :lookaroun

Pongo

Connor002 said:
Okay... but I'm still right. :lookaroun

Of course :rolleyes:

Connor said:
Sorry, you just can't pull off the bad guy persona. It's a shame. :( :lookaroun

Crap.

Connor said:
Which brings us back to the "People are idiots" idea... buying Shates/Skoes then proceeding to remove wheels is one of the stupidest things I've every heard. :lookaroun

:lol: Touché, my good man. Touché.

DisneyMarg

DisneyPhD said:
I must be the minority because while I have seen them all over the parks, for the most part most of the kids were using them what I think is appropriately. Normally just to give them a little boost while walking, Believe it or not as much time as I have been in the parks, no major witnessing of kids out of control with them. (then again that isn't what I am looking for.)

They look like fun. I think if the kids use them right it isn't a problem. I might like my kids have them, if I felt they could use them right. Now my nephew for example can't even walk with out bumping into people and running cycles around them. It would be a big no for him. By the time my kids are old enough, it will be outlawed.

You've expressed my sentiments well. My son (now 19) had some years ago, and on our trip to WDW in April I was surprised to see them back again. I think they are a fad that will come and go. I see them all the time now, but haven't seen any kids mis-using them - certainly not mowing people down. I'm not saying it doesn't happen - just that I haven't personally seen it.

In my family this would have fallen into the category of "unpicked battles" (as in "pick your battles"). As long as the kids aren't being rude or dangerous with them, I'd let them have them.

diddy_mouse

Count in me in on the "against-those-annoying skate/shoes" argument.

I have seen too many kids in the mall running into people with those things. I couldn't imagine how they would fair in the theme parks. :brick: I had one kid doing laps around my cash registers one day...I had the urge to "accidentally" drop something for his skate wheel to get caught on, but realized that wouldn't be professional :lookaroun

EpcoTim

When I was at Disneyland earlier this year they threw a group of about 3 or 4 kids out who were wearing them. They were wearing them in the watch shop on main street. One of them obviouslty didnt know what he was doing and took a header into the bottom of one of the display cabinets. He tried to run but one of the woman who worked the store had him beat. And if she didn't there was about 12 other people in the store who were more than ready to either A) teach this kid english (he claimed he didnt speak it) or B) knock some sense into him.

As for me, I won't tolerate that at all. I had a kid lose control coming up a curb and slam into my dog. Now this kids lucky my dog is a sweetheart. But I didnt feel the same way she did. When he took a swing at her, I helped him find the ground again. And as superdad told me what he thought of me, his genius son took another spill and split his mouth wide open on the curb.

Senderella

EpcoTim said:
I had a kid lose control coming up a curb and slam into my dog. Now this kids lucky my dog is a sweetheart. But I didnt feel the same way she did. When he took a swing at her, I helped him find the ground again. And as superdad told me what he thought of me, his genius son took another spill and split his mouth wide open on the curb.

I would've done the same thing dude... this kid TOOK AN ACTUAL SWING at your dog??? Screw that!! That kid obviously got his with that last spill.

EpcoTim

Senderella said:
I would've done the same thing dude... this kid TOOK AN ACTUAL SWING at your dog??? Screw that!! That kid obviously got his with that last spill.

He sure did, a full blown open hand swing at her head. He missed, because he had no balance, but that was enough for me.

Woody13

Do they make these shoes in adult sizes (9D)? I'd like to get a pair! I've seen lots of kids floating around on these things and it looks pretty cool to me. I could put one of my cats (Rex) on a leash and he could drag me around.

WDW would be more fun on these things. :wave:

Senderella

EpcoTim said:
I love Karma. Although it gets me every time.

And be careful with that pixie dust.

:lookaroun Why you got any??? :lookaroun

I'm in BAD need of a pixie dust hit dude! I'm drivin our friends nuts w/ the live365 Disney stations, boxes of frozen pretzels and YES.. even wearing my many ears around the house. My dog doesn't know what a great big beautiful tomorrow is.. nor does he care...as long as mama doesn't sing anymore he's FINE. :lol:

:cry: And exactly a year ago (as I'm typing this) we were just waking up and getting ready to go for our early flight out there!! :cry:

WhyteAL

After going to sleep last night waking up (sort of) coming to work :veryconfu . I finally had the time to read through all the posts this morning and guess what? All the instances that someone is complaining or telling a story in relation to kids and these heelys things the parents of these children were not being attentive of their children and that is the problem. So why are we punishing all the kids, when the parents are to blame.

On another note I have made post 100 :)

Raven66

WhyteAL said:
After going to sleep last night waking up (sort of) coming to work :veryconfu . I finally had the time to read through all the posts this morning and guess what? All the instances that someone is complaining or telling a story in relation to kids and these heelys things the parents of these children were not being attentive of their children and that is the problem. So why are we punishing all the kids, when the parents are to blame.

On another note I have made post 100 :)

I do think the parents have some sort of responsibility but if the kid isn't old enough to be responsible on them then they shouldn't be wearing them and that is where the parent tells them no. And if they are old enough then they should know better then to wear them in the park. I'm only against them in crowded public places. There are just too many children(and others) at WDW to be skating around. It isn't safe. I'm pretty easy going, but I pity the person who skates into my DD and knocks her down. And if they try to blame it on her for being in their way...........:fork:

WhyteAL

Raven66 said:
I do think the parents have some sort of responsibility but if the kid isn't old enough to be responsible on them then they shouldn't be wearing them and that is where the parent tells them no. And if they are old enough then they should know better then to wear them in the park. I'm only against them in crowded public places. There are just too many children(and others) at WDW to be skating around. It isn't safe. I'm pretty easy going, but I pity the person who skates into my DD and knocks her down. And if they try to blame it on her for being in their way...........:fork:

I completely agree with you, you know your kids and understand how and when they pay attention...But like I said if I tell my kids don't do it they better not or else. So they would be able to wear it as long as they are conscience of the people around them. Just like you said in crowded places, stores, etc its a no-no. And if they run into someone then I'll take the diciplinary action I would need to with my kids. But my beef is that like you its up to us the parents to let the kids know when and when not to use it. Take for instace walking from one side of DTD to the other on a hot June day when its not crowed. The minute they act up or use them unappropriately then I would let them know they will be walking the rest of the way. Just like everyone else. Think about it the speed limit in the state of florida on the turnpike is 75MPH... I think :)lookaroun ) but yet your car can do over that. And in some cases some cars can go almost twice that speed. Yet your not allowed to drive that fast. So we have to dicipline ourselves to use our powerful vehicles with care. And when we don't what happens? An accident...! So should all cars now be made to only go a certain speed limit. It's not paracticle it's illogical.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom