Those dang kids with those Heelez!!!

newfanatic

The problem here is not with the shoes, but with the parents. My 8 year old has a pair, and we are very restrictive about where he can use them. He is allowed to use them in the house, but must remove the wheels when going up the stairs, and outside WITH A HELMET ON. Absolutely no wheels in stores, schools, or any public places. The wheels can be removed and replaced with plugs. Parents can physically take possession of the wheels when it is inappropriate for children to wear them. I would never think of letting my children wear them at Disney. Not only is it rude and obnoxious, but downright dangerous. For everyone. Who would think it was safe to wear skates on the rides? Come on parents, let's use our heads. A child is still working on developing common sense, but we are already suppose to have some.

tigsmom

WhyteAL said:
Ladies and Gentelmen,
Please let the kids have fun...I see no problem with them in any case if a kid runs into you trust me they will get the worst of the hit :brick:. And if they're not your kids and the parents are not paying attetion to the annoying little brat well then accidently clip the back leg they'll flop stright down...LOL J/K

Really though if I were a kid a would want some I know we all wish that it existed when we were that age group. And our parents would have behaved the same way. So take it light they're having those moments we all wish we could have. :rolleyes:

I had skates as a kid, the kind that expanded then snapped onto your shoes.
I was taught to use them properly... not in crowded places or anyone's home. I was not allowed to take them to the amusement parks and restaurants nor to the grocery store nor when we went shopping. While skates are fun they are also dangerous, not only to yourself, but to those around you. Sorry, they are just too dangerous in a crowded place and if you or one of your family were injured I'm sure you would be upset, but hey, the kid is just having fun, right?

wannab@dis

tigsmom said:
I had skates as a kid, the kind that expanded then snapped onto your shoes.
I was taught to use them properly... not in crowded places or anyone's home. I was not allowed to take them to the amusement parks and restaurants nor to the grocery store nor when we went shopping. While skates are fun they are also dangerous, not only to yourself, but to those around you. Sorry, they are just too dangerous in a crowded place and if you or one of your family were injured I'm sure you would be upset, but hey, the kid is just having fun, right?
:sohappy:

Mom has spoken!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
cowboibabyy said:
I had a run in with these shoes just last week. I was at MGM taking a brand new digital camera out of my backpack and was practically run over by a kid with these on. Knocked the camera right out of my hand. Of course the kid's parent said "You shouldn't have just been standing there" She made it all my fault. By the time I gathered my things they were gone. There was actually a cast member standing right there at the fastpass entrance to VOTLM he came over and asked if I was OK. He told me that the shoe skates were becoming a huge problem. Luckily the camera was OK.
i would have hunted him down later and given him a big ole wedgie

:D

shoppingnut

WhyteAL said:
Ladies and Gentelmen,
Please let the kids have fun...I see no problem with them in any case if a kid runs into you trust me they will get the worst of the hit :brick:.

Are you for real, they most certainly are dangerous and the kid will not always get the worst of it. What if they run into a woman who is pregnant or holding a child; someone who is older who surely would be knocked down and could break something; someone who may have sprained an arm or something; someone who had a deep cut what was healing and it gets reopened. Kids don't need them to have fun, they are in disney world for goodness sake a place that is brimming with fun.

All I know is that if one ran into me, not only would the kid get an earful, so would the parents.

kal1484

WhyteAL said:
Ladies and Gentelmen,
Please let the kids have fun...I see no problem with them in any case if a kid runs into you trust me they will get the worst of the hit :brick:. And if they're not your kids and the parents are not paying attetion to the annoying little brat well then accidently clip the back leg they'll flop stright down...LOL J/K

Really though if I were a kid a would want some I know we all wish that it existed when we were that age group. And our parents would have behaved the same way. So take it light they're having those moments we all wish we could have. :rolleyes:

And when I was that age I wished that I could go around WDW in my swimsuit with no shoes on. It's not the fact of what the kids want, its a matter of saftey! Yes, its the kid who will probably get hurt, but what about the little Make a Wish girl who gets out of her chair to go say hi to Mickey and some little brat doesn't stop right and hits her. It's not all about having fun, there are serious consiquences!

How about for us CMs?! Pushing a FULLY LOADED wagon of soda and ice. It's hard enough to stop when any idiot walks infront of you, try it when it's a 7 year old on skates! It's not easy to stop those carts! When I worked there I told EVERY parent that those are not allowed and that if a security guard sees them they are allowed to through them out/make them change shoes. And I was serious!

Let kids be kids, but don't let them kill others....

Captain Chaos

As the kid bumps into you, stick a leg out and look the other way.. then say OPPS SHOULD BE MORE CAREFUL.. then walk away... Not that I condone tripping a kid... :)

Mr Bill

cowboibabyy said:
I had a run in with these shoes just last week. I was at MGM taking a brand new digital camera out of my backpack and was practically run over by a kid with these on. Knocked the camera right out of my hand. Of course the kid's parent said "You shouldn't have just been standing there" She made it all my fault. By the time I gathered my things they were gone. There was actually a cast member standing right there at the fastpass entrance to VOTLM he came over and asked if I was OK. He told me that the shoe skates were becoming a huge problem. Luckily the camera was OK.
It's a good thing that you were okay and so was you're camera. It is pretty sad that so many people are unable to take responsibility for things when they are at fault, though.

WDWFREAK53

I just can't see how these "shoes" can be good?

Ever watch kids with them? When they're not "skating" on them, they are scuffing their feet and walking on the tips of their feet...it's not the proper way to walk and it could screw something up!

I have been noticing a lot of signs posted in the entrances of malls, stores, etc. saying that they are not allowed and people with them will be asked to leave.

shoppingnut

dxer07002 said:
As the kid bumps into you, stick a leg out and look the other way.. then say OPPS SHOULD BE MORE CAREFUL.. then walk away... Not that I condone tripping a kid... :)

Sometimes totally warranted, just like there are times when it could be justifiable homicide in killing one's family member for standing on your last nevrve ending:lol: .

PurpleDragon

LOL, as big as I am (6'2"- 240lbs), I would just stand there and let these kids run into me. Really its dangerous and a small child or an elderly person could be seriously injured if one of these bratty children hit them. I would rather they run into me and fall down than hit someone who may get hurt. :lol:

stankly182

I like those shoes when they are worn in appropriate areas. I was at WDW last week and there was a kid who had them on, on the resort bus. I mean was actually skating while he stood. His mother barely kept a grip on him and I was just waiting for him to slide when the bus braked hard. Not to mention he would "roll" into my feet (I had flip flops on). Is it wrong to hope a kid does fall down on those things:lookaroun

Kadee

tigsmom said:
I agree, I cannot stand those shoes! I'm constantly getting run into when I'm out shopping. Didn't notice them on my last trip to WDW though.

*can I say one thing...the word "prolly"...:brick: when did this come about? Its probably...its only 2 more letters to type. Sorry, but that word just gets to me :eek: *

I am SOOOOO glad you posted this! I agree completely on both accounts.

On the shoes: There were students at my school who were almost suspended because they would not stop wearing those shoes IN SCHOOL! I hate those things.

On the word "prolly": I don't know why it bothers me so much but it does.... tremendously (maybe because I'm a teacher)! It is amazing how the internet/email/forums have managed to murder the english language.

PurpleDragon

The whole premise with shortened words is to get the message across with minimal effort. Especially with messaging from a cell phone(which I think is pointless) where people are limited to a certain number of characters per message. So things like:
prolly, orly, ynot, yarly, knp, hi2u, tbh, imo, etc... more than likely stem from that. I find myself doing it as well on AIM and on other message boards. However I know when and where it is appropriate. :p

AndreainNY

I hate those stupid shoes too (which would be why my son doesn't have a pair!). I haven't been back to WDW since Oct 2005 and I didn't see too many kids on them, so it sounds like the #'s are growing. I will have to keep my eyes open when we go in November - this time we will have our two daughters (ages 3 and 18 months at the time of the trip) with us, I don't want some commando kid running either one down!

Senderella

I don't remember seeing ANY kids on them when we went last May..but this past Feb.. good grief!!! They were EVVVERYWHERE!!! I saw a few of the kids rolling along letting their parents pull them.. LOL I thought that was the silliest thing. If you're too lazy to WALK let your parents get your 12 yr old butt a stroller LOL

Patsfan28

There were 2 kids who constantly would roll down the balcony outside of our room at the All Star Sports. Sometimes i thought about dumping the ice bucket out in their path b/c it became very annoying. Where were the parents? Its unreal

wonderboyjohnny

I haven't been recently enough to say if I've noticed a trend at WDW, but I work at Toys R Us.. and let me tell ya.. those things drive me absolutely nuts. We don't carry them (well, we have one pair and they have the disney princesses on them.. go figure) but kids are constantly gliding around on the tile, just centimeters from stacks of toys and other small children and all sorts of other fragile things. elderly people are always having to jump, as best as they can, out of the way, and these kids will just barrel through with no regard to anyone else. I believe they think it's "cool" to be seen zipping around. They're only around $20.
On that note, I would have loved to have some when I was little.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom