Third Theme Park in Anaheim?

CalDisney

Originally posted by Merlin
PssstNevermind that on Larry King Live recently, Michael Eisner (whom many have credited with being a "great salesman") couldn't come up with anything intriguing to say about DCA.
Also consider this: In another post in this section, most fans have expressed joy over the fact that Superstar Limo is making a return. When you're excited about an attraction like that coming back, what does that truly say about this park?

I saw that Big Commercial Eisner did on Larry King!!
Yes He was using it as Free Advertising!
He was asked... What Ride was his Favorite?
He said Maybe Dumbo..then said NO Definately Tower of Terror!!
in Anaheim.
He also said Snow White was opening up in Anaheim.

He had also mention something about Mickey`s Phillharmagic How it was in Disneyland hurl: :lookaroun :brick:
What a (*&(^(&%(@@$ Idiot!!!
Everyone knows thats in Florida...

What kind of Person is he??? He dosent even know the Parks or where certain attractions are..

Ok enough Bagging on Eisner:)

I think DCA will do fine... It took DL a little time to get things right.
And Now look Almost 50 years later It`s still going strong:)

Yes some things have changed at DCA like Wolfgang Pucks has been changed to Ariel`s Grotto
and the Winery left But DCA has taken it over.
I happen to like the Free sample of Sourdough Bread the free Tortilla`s
I enjoy walking thru a park that I`snt crowded.
Where I can sit and watch the Rollercoaster zoom by and look out over the water and watch the waves crash without getting sand in between my toes LOL:p

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by CalDisney
I saw that Big Commercial Eisner did on Larry King!!
Yes He was using it as Free Advertising!
He was asked... What Ride was his Favorite?
He said Maybe Dumbo..then said NO Definately Tower of Terror!!
in Anaheim.
He also said Snow White was opening up in Anaheim.

He had also mention something about Mickey`s Phillharmagic How it was in Disneyland hurl: :lookaroun :brick:
What a (*&(^(&%(@@$ Idiot!!!
Everyone knows thats in Florida...

What kind of Person is he??? He dosent even know the Parks or where certain attractions are..

Yeah, after watching the King interview, I think Eisner seems to be losing it even more than I had realized. He also mentioned that they "redecorate Pirates for the holidays" (They do? Since when??), that they closed the parks on 9/11 "for PART of the day" (Huh??), and my personal favorite, that Walt Disney is buried in an "unmarked grave", the location of which Eisner was proud of himself for convincing them to reveal to him. Okay, number one, Walt's grave is discreet, but it is definitely NOT unmarked (I've been to it a number of times). Second, they'll tell pretty much anyone where the grave is located if you ask them nicely (even though they're technically still not supposed to). I'm guessing someone in Michael Eisner's position would have many ways of finding out the information without having to ask at the front gate.

What was the original topic of this thread again? I forgot.

Pat X

Nevermind the fact that article after article after article has been written about what a loser this park is.

OH really? A lot of the press on the opening of the park gave it very favorable reviews. It was the so-called Disney fans that continually trashed it and spread bad word of mouth.

"Nevermind that on Larry King Live recently, Michael Eisner (whom many have credited with being a "great salesman") couldn't come up with anything intriguing to say about DCA."

Have you ever been on a live interview? Its not as easy as you'd think. I've done media interviews and it can be intimidating and people misseak and you don't always have the best thing to say at the moment. Granted, Eisner could've said that DCA had the largest increase in attendance this year, even before adding the parks FOURTH e-ticket, TOT.

"Nevermind that Roy Disney (a man whom most Disney fans seem to agree still understands the true Disney spirit) has criticized DCA as having been "built on the cheap" and poorly planned."

Yea...and Roy also repeatedly praised the park prior to its official opening saying how Walt would've loved the place. SO, was he lying now or then? The complaint that DCA doesn't have enough e-tickets is simply ignoring the history of how disney builds its parks. DCA had more E-tickets on opening day then MGM, WDW's Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom.

"Also consider this: In another post in this section, most fans have expressed joy over the fact that Superstar Limo is making a return. When you're excited about an attraction like that coming back, what does that truly say about this park?"

GOD forbid people enjoy attractions that you don't. DCA isn't perfect, but its not the disaster some of you claim it to be.

DisneyFan 2000

Originally posted by Pat X
Yea...and Roy also repeatedly praised the park prior to its official opening saying how Walt would've loved the place. SO, was he lying now or then? The complaint that DCA doesn't have enough e-tickets is simply ignoring the history of how disney builds its parks. DCA had more E-tickets on opening day then MGM, WDW's Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom.

They worked at the company! What did you want them to say?

IMO if you're comparing parks by counting E-tickets then you're probably an amusement park type person!

When I visit Disney I come to see detail, music and something SPECIAL something that DCA lacks of! Even ToT isn't special, there is already one at WDW! But I respect your opinion and I can understand why you love DCA! It has some great things (SOC, CS, GRR)

Pat X

"They worked at the company! What did you want them to say?"

So, in other words, they say what is expedient for them at the time? Roy wasn't forced to say he likes the park. He could've kept his mouth shut. The Disney mafia didn't show up at his house and say, "you must publicy approve of DCA or we'll break your legs!" (joke)

"IMO if you're comparing parks by counting E-tickets then you're probably an amusement park type person!"

The reason I bring up the e-tickets is that it is/was a common complaint that DCA didn't have enough e-tickets or their wasn't alot to do. Again, look at when WDW's Magic Kindom opened....it didn't have Space Mtn, Splash Mtn, Big Thunder, Pirates, etc. MGM had two rides, (Great Movie Ride, Backlot tour) and a couple shows. So were they built on the cheap too? If the Magic Kingdom opened today as it did in 1971, I am sure everyone would be saying how it was built on the cheap too.

"When I visit Disney I come to see detail, music and something SPECIAL something that DCA lacks of! Even ToT isn't special, there is already one at WDW! But I respect your opinion and I can understand why you love DCA! It has some great things (SOC, CS, GRR)"

That's fine, I appreciate the discussion. But I do think DCA has detail, even in Paradise Pier (which I love). For example, how the "seeds" on the bun on Burger Invasion lite up at night. The way the lights around Mickey's head follow the coaster around the loop on CA screamin'. The waves and the music throughout the area. You forget, Disney didn't have to add all that extra steel and sun bursts to CA Screamin, most steal coasters are very bare. You may not like the theme, but you can't say its not highly themed. Also, I do think the Pier has a "wow" factor to it. I always watch how everyone takes pictures of it on the bridge over to Ariel's Grotto....in addition, think of people who are from the middle of the country...when was the last time they have seen a Pier like that!

Other little touches I enjoy are how the imagineers added a bird chirping soundtrack to increase the outdoorsy atmosphere in the Grizzly peak area, the landing lights in Condor Flats. Another example of great, detailed theming can be found in the restaurant in Condor Flats. There's an old Juke box towards the back and someone took the time to list all the songs that play over the speakers...and of course, they all have to do with avaition, flight, etc. In my mind, there is plenty of detail in DCA. It may have some sightline issues, but that will be taken care of over time.

xfkirsten

I agree, I think DCA is very well-themed! I think a lot of California resident visitors just don't realize how it's themed, is the problem. Think about it: if you live in California, you see theminig similar to DCA's in everyday life. You live in Santa Monica, you see a pier with amusement rides on it. You live in Northern CA, you see a lot of woodsy areas like in Golden State, and so on. So If you see it every day, it doesn't really come across as theming to you, even if it is really well done, ya know?

-Kirsten

Disneyland1970

It just seems to me that for someone who grew up in CA, the park is just a combo of Knotts( Roaring 20's area if they still have it), Santa Cruz boardwalk and a little Disney magic on top so they could build it next to DL.

Yes DL was lacking in 1955....But what was its competition, local merry go rounds in parks and the local county fair. It was so far ahead of it's time you can't compare it to todays expectations.

The Bird chirping at Grizzly peak... Remember the Snoring bear in in the cave entering Bear Country (Circa 1976) nothing new there! Also Superstar limo was not working on my visit, glads its open I guess..

Like I said earlier, I have not been there in a couple of years, but It does not sound like much change has taken place.

P.S. I refused to go to Burger Invasion because of the Mc Donalds food being served. I don't spend money to get into a theme park to eat that crap! Another reason I was unhappy with the park!! Thanks for reminding me!

Pat X

I avoid Burger Invasion too....it doesn't make sense to pay that much for McDonald's??? I am surpised people actually eat there.

But, you forget, they also serve McDonald's fries in DL too...does that stop you from going to DL park?

imagineer99

Glad I am not the only one on this board who enjoys DCA! :sohappy: I also find myself spending more time there...I just love the mix of attractions, the atmosphere, the music, etc.

You're from Fairfax, eh!

*looks across the potomac from DC and waves*:wave: :D

I can't commet on DCA...I've never been to Disneyland Resort:hammer:

FireFly725

Originally posted by Disneyland1970

The Bird chirping at Grizzly peak... Remember the Snoring bear in in the cave entering Bear Country (Circa 1976) nothing new there!

I think he was just saying it was a nice detail, not some new groundbreaking technology.

Pat X

Originally posted by imagineer99
You're from Fairfax, eh!

*looks across the potomac from DC and waves*:wave: :D

I can't commet on DCA...I've never been to Disneyland Resort:hammer:

Hey, a fellow Disney nut in my area! WAHOO. :D

You HAVE to go to Disneyland Resort sometime...its really wonderful to see where everything started (as far as the parks concerned). Its something you should do at least once!

I am lucky because I go out on business to CA at least twice a year and try to make a stop by the resort whenever I go.

Merlin

Account Suspended
OH really? A lot of the press on the opening of the park gave it very favorable reviews. It was the so-called Disney fans that continually trashed it and spread bad word of mouth.

On what are you basing this claim? I personally don't recall any favorable reviews of DCA when it opened. That's not to say there weren't any. I mean I don't read every single newspaper. But I seriously doubt that "a lot" of the press gave favorable reviews. And I'd be willing to bet you can't back up that claim.

Have you ever been on a live interview? Its not as easy as you'd think. I've done media interviews and it can be intimidating and people misseak and you don't always have the best thing to say at the moment. Granted, Eisner could've said that DCA had the largest increase in attendance this year, even before adding the parks FOURTH e-ticket, TOT.

As a matter of fact, yes, I've been interviewed many times. As a public speaker, I've been put on the spot more times than I can count in front of very large groups of people, and I've been expected to answer what some would consider very difficult questions at times. I've also been interviewed on television and on the radio. But all that aside, I would expect the 20-year Chairman and CEO of the world's second largest entertainment organization to be very used to live interviews. And Eisner even said himself (during this very interview in question), that he is used to being criticized for his decisions. I don't think it should have come as any surprise to him that someone would call into the show and be critical of DCA. As I've stated before, DCA is pretty widely known as a lousy park. That's my whole point I was trying to make. I think it's silly that supporters of DCA want to make it seem like so many others agree with them. If you love DCA, I think that's great. But at least admit that you're largely in the minority. And frankly, I'm still puzzled by those who say it's so great. And whenever I pose the question, I always hear the same excuses made (i.e. "Look at how DL was when it opened." or "Look at how many e-ticket attractions compared to other parks"). To me, those reasons don't convince me that the person really believes it. If you're passionate about something, I think you ought to be able to come up with some better reasons as to why. So consequently, I'm left believing that people who defend DCA truly know, deep down, that it really isn't that great of a park. But they'll never admit it because they don't want to criticize a park with the name "Disney" on it.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by xfkirsten
I agree, I think DCA is very well-themed! I think a lot of California resident visitors just don't realize how it's themed, is the problem. Think about it: if you live in California, you see theminig similar to DCA's in everyday life. You live in Santa Monica, you see a pier with amusement rides on it. You live in Northern CA, you see a lot of woodsy areas like in Golden State, and so on. So If you see it every day, it doesn't really come across as theming to you, even if it is really well done, ya know?

-Kirsten

I see where you're coming from on this. The only problem with this logic, though, is then it should stand to reason that if I'm so used to these places, but I don't recognize the DCA version as "themeing" then it should at least seem realistic to me. And it actually seems like neither of those. It simply seems cheap and fake. In another park, I would consider it a poor ATTEMPT at themeing, but I've come to expect more from Disney.

xfkirsten

Honestly, there's a crapload of stuff out there with Disney's name on it that I'll criticize all night long. DCA is not one of them. It's just a fun, relaxing park. It's hard for me to explain beyond that. The atmosphere makes me feel upbeat. I walk in and hear that area music in Sunshine Plaza, and it just perks me up.

I love the Main Street Electrical Parade. Doesn't matter which park it's at, it's a fun show.

I love Aladdin over at the Hyperion, watch it at least twice every time I'm at Disneyland. The Genie keeps me laughing, and he's got some novel joke every time I go.

I love Soarin' Over California (although the wait time leaves much to be desired, at least as far as DCA attractions go).

I love California Screamin' - it's a nice, fast coaster to compliment the classic coasters over at DL Park.

I love sitting in Sunshine Plaza and kicking back with an ice cream cone while I watch Road Trip perform. It's relaxing!

I love the view of Paradise Pier when it's all lit up at night.

I love the Animation Building. I can't pass up lending my voice to a Disney character, then sitting back and laughing at the results.

I love kicking back with a margarita at Pacific Wharf and watching whoever's performing there.

I love going up in the Sun Wheel at night, and marvelling at the bird's eye view of the resort all lit up.

There's a few of my reasons.

-Kirsten

xfkirsten

I see where you're coming from on this. The only problem with this logic, though, is then it should stand to reason that if I'm so used to these places, but I don't recognize the DCA version as "themeing" then it should at least seem realistic to me. And it actually seems like neither of those. It simply seems cheap and fake. In another park, I would consider it a poor ATTEMPT at themeing, but I've come to expect more from Disney.

That may be true. It was just a thought.

But if Disney were to make it very realistic... why would people go? They could just go to Santa Monica or Northern California or San Francisco instead. So Disney has to give it a different feel, a more theme park feel that come across to you as cheap and fake. Theming certainly does not mean being realistic to me.

I recall one of my roommates freshman year... she was from San Francisco... the reason she hated the park? It wasn't the "true" California. She hated that they made it seem like California was really all fun and happy, I guess is one way of putting it. I seem to remember her bashing one part of Eureka (which I never got a chance to see, so I won't make a judgement on that) because it portrayed some San Francisco landmark as being a great thing, when in reality it was a gang hangout. I guess my point here is that some people might not like it because it makes CA look too idealized. But if it weren't... wouldn't everyone be bashing Disney for not making it as "magical" as possible?

-Kirsten

Woody13

When I first visited DL in 1968, I was most impressed with the huge parking lot. I had never seen a parking lot that big in my life. Was John Hench right when he was asked about DCA and said, "I liked it better as a parking lot"? I don't think so.

I agree with Pat X. DCA is a great addition to DL! Of course, DL and DCA do not rank with the crown jewel (WDW), but it's a good place nevertheless.

I have noticed that many of these nattering nabobs of negativity concerning DCA seem to be people that are up in years. People that are young (or young at heart) enjoy and endorse DCA. It's a shame but old age tends to cause crankiness.

I guess as some people get older they tend to be less willing to accept new ideas and trends. 23 Skidoo!

JLW11Hi

I really like how DCA cleans up the place a bit. I mean, it adds taht whole "courtyard" in front of the parks. It reminds me of Universal Orlando, sort of. It is so convenient!

DCA really needs some work, though. I think it has a lot of possibitities, but in its current form, it doesnt have enough "uniqueness" to concider it for a great theme park, especially one to live up to its neighbor!

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Woody13
When I first visited DL in 1968, I was most impressed with the huge parking lot. I had never seen a parking lot that big in my life. Was John Hench right when he was asked about DCA and said, "I liked it better as a parking lot"? I don't think so.

I agree with Pat X. DCA is a great addition to DL! Of course, DL and DCA do not rank with the crown jewel (WDW), but it's a good place nevertheless.

I have noticed that many of these nattering nabobs of negativity concerning DCA seem to be people that are up in years. People that are young (or young at heart) enjoy and endorse DCA. It's a shame but old age tends to cause crankiness.

I guess as some people get older they tend to be less willing to accept new ideas and trends. 23 Skidoo!

Well if you remember your visit to DL in 1968, then guess what? You're older than me. By the way, out of curiosity, how exactly do you know the ages of the members on this thread?

Merlin

Account Suspended
xfkirsten, I have to give you and CalDisney credit for at least coming up with some concrete stuff. Here are my responses:

I love the Main Street Electrical Parade. Doesn't matter which park it's at, it's a fun show.

Agreed! Although bringing it to DCA kind of reinforces that the company was aware that DCA needed some help...badly! When it left DL, they said it was the end of the show forever. I wonder how many people made trips to DL specifically so they could see the show before it was gone, and then later felt duped because they brought it back...just to another park a couple hundred yards away.

I love Aladdin over at the Hyperion, watch it at least twice every time I'm at Disneyland. The Genie keeps me laughing, and he's got some novel joke every time I go.

Agreed! Though, like MANY things at DCA, can anyone explain what Aladdin has to do with California??

I love Soarin' Over California (although the wait time leaves much to be desired, at least as far as DCA attractions go).

I enjoy this attraction too, however I personally consider it to be absolutely the most overrated Disney attraction. And for clarification, keep in mind that "overrated" doesn't equal "bad". It simply means that I'm baffled as to why this attraction gets the kind of hype that it does. The only explanation I can come up with is this: It SEEMS like a superior attraction by comparison to the rest of DCA.

I love California Screamin' - it's a nice, fast coaster to compliment the classic coasters over at DL Park.

In addition to being a Disney fan, I'm also a hardcore roller coaster buff. As roller coasters go, I think California Screamin' is actually pretty boring. It's amazing what a difference great themeing makes. Space Mountain, for example, is really nothing more than your basic wild mouse coaster. Yet, with the excellent themeing, it is one of the best coasters in existence.

I love sitting in Sunshine Plaza and kicking back with an ice cream cone while I watch Road Trip perform. It's relaxing!

The "relaxing" element of DCA is one thing I'll definitely give you. DL has lost that to a large degree and that is sad.

I love the view of Paradise Pier when it's all lit up at night.

You're right. It is very pretty.

I love the Animation Building. I can't pass up lending my voice to a Disney character, then sitting back and laughing at the results.

Once again, I have to give you this one. The Animation Building at DCA is vastly superior to the one at WDW.

I love kicking back with a margarita at Pacific Wharf and watching whoever's performing there.

This is another good example of the "relaxing" element that I have to admit DCA has over DL. Okay, you're starting to convince me that I should pay DCA another visit (but I'm not saying that I'm going to come away LOVING it).

I love going up in the Sun Wheel at night, and marvelling at the bird's eye view of the resort all lit up.

It IS always cool seeing DL from the air. But why did they have to make the buckets on the Sun Wheel encased in that mesh screening??? It makes it nearly impossible to get a decent photo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom