They Like What More???

erasure fan1

As far as what park is better, I think they are about equal. They both have some very good attractions but at the same time they both need a lot of work. In the AK everest was a great addition but they need to get something into camp minnie mickey. As for MGM, toy story mania sounds cool but they need at least 1 major e-ticket and a few updates to things like the indy stunt show and star tours. (both are rumored so we will see.)

wdwmomof3

I love both of the parks for different reasons and I think that both of them could use some new rides and attractions. Unlike Epcot & Magic Kingdom, to me these parks can be visited for a day and you can see most everything that they have. I can't wait to see the changes to these two parks over the next few years. :)

hcswingfield

I love the atmosphere and theming at the studios. But I always seem to run out of things to do before the end of the day. I guess if I was interested in the stunt car show it would be better. And I've seen Indiana Jones enough - don't need to do that again. Once I've ridden ToT and RnRR a few times, done the movie ride, eaten lunch at 50s Prime Time, watched some streetmosphere, seen Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid shows, I'm ready to move on to another park - usually Epcot for a good counter service dinner at the World Showcase. Then if I want to see Fantasmic, I go back to the resort for my stadium seat and head back to the studios.

At AK, on the other hand, I never seem to get to do everything I want to do in one day. It's even harder now that I have to block out time for standing in line at Finding Nemo the musical and for watching the show. The hardest thing about AK is getting stuck on one side of the park during the parade. I would love to take a day just walking the trails at AK - not just the main ones, but also all the "hidden" ones around the tree of life and up towards the entrance. There's so much to see there! And I could watch Festival of the Lion King all day. The down side is that all the eateries close before the park closes. If I want to stay till park closing, then I have to go to another park for dinner - usually Epcot for a good counter service dinner at the World Showcase. Are you seeing a pattern here?

Pete C

MGM can barely fill a half-day at this point. Star Tours, Muppets, Backlot, Great Movie Ride, and Indy are so out of date it isn't even funny. It does have the best thrill ride on the entire property in Tower of Terror, however overall the park is tired. Toy Story will help, but they really need to get to refurbing Star Tours and bringing in a new Indy experience.

AK is BEAUTIFUL and I totally and completely disagree that it isn't a good zoo. It is the BEST zoo I have ever seen from a habitat perspective. What other zoo has such lush and amazing habitats like this? Busch Gardens pales in comparison, as do most normal city zoos. And there are more of the larger and amazing animals here than at any other zoo save perhaps for San Diego and a select few top zoos in the nation. AK is lacking in E-tickets. I really can't believe they opened a park with so few, but it is getting better. It still needs more, but as it stands I'd rather go to AK than MGM. The themeing is fantastic and the park is just beautiful to walk around and enjoy.

miles1

As I've read some of your previous posts and don't find your communication style appealing (although I guess that you are a pre-teen/young teen so I can somewhat excuse it), I can't believe I'm responding to you.....however.....
dave

Dave, I'm sure you probably won't find my "communication style" appealing either, but I think that you and serveral folks here need to get off this young gentleman's back and drop the mightier-than-thou insults.

He makes no pretense of being a Rhodes Scholar and admits that he is relatively young and just here to have some fun. He's complied with everyone's requests to change his style, simply so he can communicate with others who share his interest in WDW. We should be welcoming folks like him instead of picking on them. I'd rather read their posts here where they're safe than see them show up as another Myspace statistic.

Just my two cents. Have a nice afternoon.

Kadee

Dave, I'm sure you probably won't find my "communication style" appealing either, but I think that you and serveral folks here need to get off this young gentleman's back and drop the mightier-than-thou insults.

He makes no pretense of being a Rhodes Scholar and admits that he is relatively young and just here to have some fun. He's complied with everyone's requests to change his style, simply so he can communicate with others who share his interest in WDW. We should be welcoming folks like him instead of picking on them. I'd rather read their posts here where they're safe than see them show up as another Myspace statistic.

Just my two cents. Have a nice afternoon.

Not trying to be mean or rude or anything like that, (just letting you know)but a moderator has asked us to drop this topic and move on to the OP's original topic of AK vs MGM.
Thanks....:wave:

miles1

Not trying to be mean or rude or anything like that, (just letting you know)but a moderator has asked us to drop this topic and move on to the OP's original topic of AK vs MGM.
Thanks....:wave:

woops. Sorry. Guess I should have read further. Thanks.

lilclerk

After riding DCA's version of Tower of Terror, MGM's version is now one of my favorite rides in WDW haha. I liked it, but I wasn't all that impressed with it before (I know, I apologize,) but California's version was horrible in comparison. Still a fun ride, but not themed as well, and the ride itself didn't seem as good. You never actually enter the Twilight Zone. And I love The Twilight Zone -pout-

Anyway, of the two, I enjoy MGM more for ToT and the Muppets. RnRC is fun, Star Tours is cute yet oh-so outdated, Voyage is always great, and I absolutely LOVE 50s Prime Time and the Sci-Fi Dine In. I'm a dork, but those are probably my two favorite WDW restaurants (not so much for the food, but goshdarn they're fun.) Plus it's fun to just walk around, watching with the Streetmosphere characters.

DAK is gorgeous, has some great counter service meals, Everest is amazing, and I'm sure the safari is awesome when it's not a cloudy, drizzly day (the only sort of day I've had the pleasure of riding.) It's just not a park I can really see myself spending a whole day at. :shrug:

Erika

MGM is a weird park for me because of the 4, it's the one I am most likely to skip. But when I sit down and start to list the things I like, there are always some that come up and surprise me. The park as a whole is very forgettable to me somehow, until I stop and pick it apart. Then I realize that it has some of my favorite attractions in all of WDW, particularly The Muppets :king:

Is it just me, or can at least 50% of a typical vacation be judged solely on the standard of its food? :slurp:

My pet peeve is going away with someone who insists on finding the nearest Mc Donalds/ Pizza Hut/ anything we have at home :lol:

Or maybe I just eat too much :lookaroun :eek:

I would say about 75% of my vacation is judged on the food!

Three words.

Flame Tree Barbecue

Where is the Flame Tree, and what do they serve? Is it really that good? Might be some where I might want to try!

Sirenia

We enjoy all the parks. Our 2 favorites are Epcot and AK. WE really enjoy the animals and the themeing at AK. Especially in the Asia area. The temple walkthroughs in KRR and EE are beautiful!

As far as cutting down a bunch of trees to add a Brother Bear ride goes...it sounds like a waste. I would hope that if they start cutting trees down they would put something worthwhile in there and replace the trees. Of courseI'm still hoping they do the Beast Kingdom section.

As far as the park being hotter....I would disagree.....There was far more shade in AK than in any of the other parks and I personally like the trees and vegetation. Also, it's FL.....when is it not hot? Even in winter it can be hot!
:ROFLOL:

Oh at least! My family usually plans our vacations around food...:shrug:

When planning my calendar for my trip in September, it was based around where I was dining at night! Its crazy how the awesome food at WDW commands a trip!

As far as the park being hotter....I would disagree.....There was far more shade in AK than in any of the other parks and I personally like the trees and vegetation. Also, it's FL.....when is it not hot? Even in winter it can be hot!
:ROFLOL:

Its not the heat that's really the problem. Its the humidity, which with all the vegetation is twice as worse.

drdoom1001

I prefer the theme of MGM,I'm not big into animals but there are attractions I enjoy at both AK and MGM, but still feel that they both need new attractions.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Ok...

Funny how my wife and I were just discussing how we wanted to spend MORE time in Animal Kingdom on our next trip. We spent 3 half days there last trip, which 2 more than we usually do.

I think this is for a few reasons:

1) The quality of the attractions is improving constantly. I think that WDW-I took note of the fact that just animal exhibits wasn't going to cause people to flock to the gates of the park. However, they way they overcame this was in spectacular fashion. Shows like Legend of the Lion King and Finding Nemo, along with the major attractions of Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, Kilamanjaro Safaris, and Kali River Rapids makes this park much more of an experience. They added the thrill while still staying in the overall theme of the park, telling a story, or teaching a lesson or two.

2) We're older -- What I mean by this is that when we were in our sophomore year of college, we didn't much care about animal exhibits or nature walks. Now we relish in that kind of thing. As you get older, you appreciate the subtle things around you. This ties into the fact that animal kingdom is "dirty" as you described it. It's supposed to be that way. Either untouched by man or in the process of being reclaimed by nature. Get the new imagineering of Animal Kingdom book, which explains a lot of this. With time, the park is designed to hide a lot of the structures in the park, furthering this harmony with nature. It's all give and take.

That's my piece...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
kadees_ostrich.jpg

OMG that is hysterical! :ROFLOL:

It should be entered into one of our photo contests. :wave:

EPCOT.nut

I really like AK until you get to the Express Train. It is a contradiction in terms! I think AK is the more "romantic" park...where you can go with a partner and walk around and talk. Also the shade is brilliant. Even though it is still HOT in the summer there is plenty of shade at AK - a welcome reprieve.

MGM is one big hot city. All that pavement reflects the heat right back at you. I'm also not so glad to be on tours everywhere. Being in line for Muppet Vision was deadly 2 summers ago. They need a canopy there! All the children were wilting from the heat.

So I really like AK - more for the park layout than the rides, although there are better rides at AK. I'd like to see another coaster there, tho.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom