They don't need to gut the Great Movie Ride

RedBaron

I also love the GMR. I have been lucky in that I have never had a bad CM there. I think the attention to detail is fantastic. I will agree that maybe the movie at the end could be updated to show some newer films, but that is about it. It amazes me that people find it boring. I remember one time in the alien section (after having been on the ride many times knowing that the alien jumps out of the ceiling) still jumping when it popped out at me. :lol:

In late 2003, I had CM George as the gangster. To put it mildly, he was a more convincing mobster than Brando, Pacino, De Niro and Pesci combined. I immediatly went to guest services speaking his praise. Hopefully word got back to his managers and George himself. I really was taken aback, he really has acting talent. He is probably in his late 40s/early 50s. I always love this ride, with or without outstanding CMs, but this really made a huge difference. Anyone going in the near future, I highly suggest asking if he is around and if you can possibly get on his car.

midnightstar17

My story about the Great Movie Ride is in the Trip Report Section. To make a long story short we accidently took flash pictures on the ride and the cm had a talk with us afterward. It ruined the end to a good ride, i loved it. Our guide had lots of energy but kind of unfairly singled out me and my friends. O well, i can't wait to see this ride again when I go back in July, hopefully with a different ending.
Jenny

retroeric

Original Poster
objr said:
GMR has outlived its purpose...they need something new...and something innovative that revolves around Disney animated and live-action movies

You don't think WDW already has enough of this?

Epcot82Guy

speck76 said:
personal preference:

Women do not make good gangsters.

Speck, I'm gonna have to disagree with the blanket statement. While I will admit that the majority of female gangsters I've seen have not been that good, the best GMR CM I have seen was a female gangster. She was outstanding. It was in about 1997, and she nailed the character. She had a nice mix of playing the "dumb broad" then busting right back into the tough gangster role. Kudos to her!

speck76

Epcot82Guy said:
Speck, I'm gonna have to disagree with the blanket statement. While I will admit that the majority of female gangsters I've seen have not been that good, the best GMR CM I have seen was a female gangster. She was outstanding. It was in about 1997, and she nailed the character. She had a nice mix of playing the "dumb broad" then busting right back into the tough gangster role. Kudos to her!

I have yet to have a good one.....they are either too pretty (in this case, pretty is not good), they force the accent, or they just don't act well........one, a larger female, was wearing a long skirt.....it did not look right.

imagineersrock

Quick question--- Do people have to go through any type of audition to get a job as a GMR, KS, BLT, JC, etc. CM?

It just baffles me sometimes, that on these attractions where your host pretty much makes or breaks the attraction, that you can have a guy who barely projects his monotone voice and you are left asking your friend "was that even english?"

How do people like that get jobs like these?

I just don't get it...

---on a lighter note, though I've had several terrible GMR CM's over the past few months, just last week when we rode, -not only- was our tour guide fantastic and incredibly enthusiastic... but i'm fairly sure our "gangster" was the man adamthegetupkid described in his post. This guy was great!

I believe that the GMR could get some update and some scenes could be changed, but all in all I love this ride. I wish that they could change the Fantasia scene and put the wicked witch in with special effects added with objects flying above our heads and the clinging of the bicycle bell. This really would be the best way to enter into OZ. I wonder why they decided not to do this? Mickey could go into one of the scenes that could be replaced. This ride really could have some amazing additions. The thoughts running through my mind now are great. I love when reading threads unleash the creativity inside me. The creativity and imagination are the greatest things that attract me to Disney.

You want to talk about a bad CM at Jungle Cruise? I took my parents on the ride and our CM spent the whole cruise singing 'I know the witch doctor' and then at the canibal scene screamed 'We're under attack, duck!' Then resumed singing again. I saw her a few months later in the locker room, she complimented my costume, I just gave her a look. lol

It's kind of nice though that these rides depend on the CM. It makes the experience more interesting. Is this going to be a good ride or a bad one? It keeps me going back, and believe me I don't ride the Jungle Cruise for the 'Two heads for one of yours.' jokes lol.

I do think that GMR would be a lot better if they just updated the films at the end as well. Give regulars a little something else to keep going back for. I don't want a total rehab but changing a few scenes wouldn't disappoint me.

jhastings74

The Great Movie Ride is certainly no 'thrill-a-minute', white-knuckle ride, but I wouldn't want to see it go for any reason. It is the MGM equivalent of the MK TTA...a slow-paced, air-conditioned way to relax for a bit. The only bad experience we've ever had was when we got the cowboy on our car and he ran up the steps to steal the jewel...the skeleton was wearing shreds of the gangster suit...not exactly good story continuity there...

Other than that, I think some tweaks here and there couldn't hurt...seems like they could have done something a bit more dramatic for Fantasia, and perhaps get rid of one of the older scenes for a Gone With the Wind scene, or something to that effect.

Woody13

SpaceRangrQueen said:
You want to talk about a bad CM at Jungle Cruise? I took my parents on the ride and our CM spent the whole cruise singing 'I know the witch doctor' and then at the canibal scene screamed 'We're under attack, duck!' Then resumed singing again.
Did she sing this?

I told the witch doctor I was in love with you
I told the witch doctor you didn't love me too
And then the witch doctor, he told me what to do
He said that ....

Ooo eee, ooo ah ah ting tang
Walla walla, bing bang
Walla walla, bing bang...
Walla walla, bing bang
Walla walla, bing bang

I told the witch doctor you didn't love me true
I told the witch doctor you didn't love me nice
And then the witch doctor, he game me this advice
He said to ...

Walla walla, bing bang
Walla walla, bing bang
Walla walla, bing bang

Now, you've been keeping love from me
Just like you were a miser
And I'll admit I wasn't very smart
So I went out and found myself
A guy that's so much wiser
And he taught me the way to win your heart

My friend the witch doctor, he taught me what to say
My friend the witch doctor, he taught me what to do
I know that you'll be mine when I say this to you
Oh, Baby ....

Walla walla, bing bang
Walla walla, bing bang
Walla walla, bing bang

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Since ToT has the random drop sequence, could they not have 2-3 different endings for GMR? Perhaps a couple of other random things in other parts of the ride? I have no idea if it's feasible, but it would inject some fun into it, I think.

d'Isigny

jhastings74 said:
The Great Movie Ride is certainly no 'thrill-a-minute', white-knuckle ride, but I wouldn't want to see it go for any reason. It is the MGM equivalent of the MK TTA...a slow-paced, air-conditioned way to relax for a bit. The only bad experience we've ever had was when we got the cowboy on our car and he ran up the steps to steal the jewel...the skeleton was wearing shreds of the gangster suit...not exactly good story continuity there...

Other than that, I think some tweaks here and there couldn't hurt...seems like they could have done something a bit more dramatic for Fantasia, and perhaps get rid of one of the older scenes for a Gone With the Wind scene, or something to that effect.

I'm with you...

DDuckFan130

It's funny how people are complaining about the film at the end. I probably consider that my favorite part of the attraction. I love recognizing the movies, stars, and seeing how many movies I have seen of the ones shown. I really get a kick out of seeing Amadeus, 10 commandments, Shirley Temple, and so forth. Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

speck76

DDuckFan130 said:
It's funny how people are complaining about the film at the end. I probably consider that my favorite part of the attraction. I love recognizing the movies, stars, and seeing how many movies I have seen of the ones shown. I really get a kick out of seeing Amadeus, 10 commandments, Shirley Temple, and so forth. Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

that is my favorite part too

maybe sometime we can watch it together......(I will hold the popcorn, and remember, they best popcorn is at the bottom)

:drevil:

:lol:

DDuckFan130

speck76 said:

maybe sometime we can watch it together......(I will hold the popcorn, and remember, they best popcorn is at the bottom)

:eek:

LMAO!

Next time I go, we'll watch it together :lookaroun

retroeric

Original Poster
DDuckFan130 said:

I wasn't complaining about the content as much as I was the quality. The film is starting to turn pinkish, is out of focus, and the sound quality is absolutely putrid. A digital version is loooong overdue.

waltdisny

speck76 said:

Isn't that a movie reference? Something about a date and a bet, but I can't place the film.:confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom