They don't like the English at DLP!

Blink Me

A good friend of my husbands has just returned from visiting DLP with his kids and he had a rubbish time....because he's english! When watching a show the CM was asking who in the audience was from which country. Only the English got boo-ed (no other national from a differnt country got boo-ed)! Then when riding the newly opened tower of terror, the bell hop was asking where everyone was from. When he asked our friend (who was riding alone) where he was from he replied with "England" to which the bell hop replied.... "what's the matter with you English, are you too dumb or too lazy to learn another language?". Excuse me! Not appropriate behaviour from Disney staff.....

your friend should have called them cheese eating surrendering monkeys. that would have shut them up.

but seriously i've been there like 5-6 times and never had any problems. there are plenty of english/welsh people who work there.

skeeder

I cant wait to go to Disneyland Paris. I am an American. I read that it would be good to attempt to learn some basic French-that they appreciate you learning some of their language. I dont know if that is true or not. But I am willing to try and learn some French.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
skeeder, try it! Why not? Although I attempted a simple request in French (something like "I`ll take this book, thank you") and the CM replied in rapid fire French - I didn`t have a clue! :lol: After that I just stuck to Bonjour and Merci :D

Aside from that, the resort is more than easy to visit with only English as a language - from the signs to CMs to the attractions. Have fun!

KingStefan

I cant wait to go to Disneyland Paris. I am an American. I read that it would be good to attempt to learn some basic French-that they appreciate you learning some of their language. I dont know if that is true or not. But I am willing to try and learn some French.

It's not so much that they appreciate you learning some of their language, it's that they appreciate you learning a bit of their culture.

I am an American who lived there for three years. And I visited DLP. You don't need to know much if any french or french culture to get along at DLP. But you can't (or shouldn't) go to DLP and not see Paris for at least a day or two, maybe more.

So, when outside of DLP, learn a few rules. For Americans, I would advise the following: say hello and goodbye when entering or leaving a store, restaurant, etc. before anything else. Don't just barge in and start asking questions. It goes a very long way, believe me.

Don't expect everyone to just move out of your way. The "body bubble" that surrounds us to stay polite is much smaller there. It's OK to squeeze by, even making some body contact, as long as you say "excusez moi". If you just stand there and say "excusez moi" when trying to get past someone and expect them to move, they will either look at you wondering what you want (they won't understand that you just want to get by) or they will be offended because it looks like you think you should be treated royally or something.

And if you address someone out of the normal purpose of interaction, that is to say, if you enter a pastry shop to ask directions, for example, you must excuse yourself first because you are coming into their establishment to ask for something, not to buy something. For this you can use the following five words, which are invaluable to learn: "Excusez-moi de vous déranger" - "I'm sorry to disturb you". If you use this phrase first, they will be so pleased that you are a foreigner who knows not only how to behave, but knows the right phrase to use, they will be likely to bend over backwards to help you in anyway they can. This phrase also works well when you are about to read from a phrase book, or want to try to speak in English. Say, "Excusez-moi de vous déranger, mais je ne parle pas bien français", then proceed. They will really try to help you if you behave this way.

I was once out with some friends in Paris at about 2-3 AM before I spoke much french, when I first arrived, and we were looking for someplace that was open so we could use the bathroom. We came upon a restaurant/bar that looked open. It was summer, so the front was all open. Two of us walked ahead, a young lady and myself. As we approached, the bartender said "No, fermé, désolé" - "No, closed, sorry". I said "Excusez-moi de vous déranger, Monsieur, mais nous avons un problème" ("I'm sorry to disturb you, sir, but we have a problem"). He opened his arms wide and smiled and said, "Demander!" - "ask!". After that we spoke in english. Not only did he let us use the bathroom, but he re-opened the bar, and served us beer and coffee (we were about 10), and then closed again. This phrase is like magic, I'm telling ya'!

Generally follow the above guidelines, bring a phrase book, and you'll get along fine.

And in DLP, as I said, don't worry. Everything is in english as well as french - even the shows and attractions.

grandmath

Your friends must have had a poor experience, but that doesn't mean it's usually like this at DLRP.

We have no problem with english people. We have problems with rude people, whatever their origins. Being a CM on Tower of Terror, I think my colleague made a joke to your friends. It is "okay" to be sarcastic on Tower of Terror, I'm sure the other guests weren't offended when they heard that, and they just laughed. For example, when french are boarding and I tell them the safety advices, sometimes I ask if anybody speaks english. When someone says yes and he's alone, I use to play the lazy bellhop who doesn't wish to translate and say "mm it doesn't matter, good luck".

Maybe your friend was feeling offended, and I'm sorry for that. But as for you, don't worry. We usually treat you like anybody else.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Two things i've learned in my world travels:

A) The world doesn't have a particularly high opinion of USA. They just don't, sorry. That's not to say that certain American qualities aren't held in high regard, but the bad parts that people see on TV become the stereotype they expect. In particularly bitter bits of the world, say you're Canadian.

B) When in semi-friendly bits of the world, i'm from Florida. It is, for reasons unknown, 'non-part' of the USA, and avoids conflict and otherwise lets people know i'm American without ruffling feathers. If I were to answer i was American or from the US to the same group I might get a look or something, but if i say i'm from Florida i get nice comments about beaches and sunny weather and how wonderful it must be. Non political versus tropical vacation paradise I suppose.

I guess people think I live where only palm trees and coconuts grow.

Chape19714

See, I promiced I'd take my bilingual friend with me to Paris, so I'm not anticipating any problems. :lol:

I think the 1st post was just simply a disgruntled CM.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The French are fine Parisians however like to challenge Noo Yoikers and Londoners in the most ignorant locals stakes and its a pretty close run race.

Language is optional cause most of them will but in regardless of the fluidity of your French. However its always handy to know a few insults in the local language.

However at all times remember you are British just talk louder and gesticulate, Johnny Foreigner will soon get the message. Its not quite as effective if your English, but works well for us Celts.

Ilovewishes

I went to Paris about six years ago and the experience has really put me off! It was before DLP had been...expanded and they literally had about three rides and the rest were shops! We'd been to WDW the year before and that probably had a big effect on my opinion as it just didn't match up at all!

We didn't have a problem with the CMs at DLP although now I don't remember any of them going out of their way to make you welcome like they do in the US. It was the other guests that annoyed me, especially the French ones! I was fresh out of high school at that point so I remembered most of the French I had learnt (I got an A for my French GCSE) so I really made an effort to speak it whenever I could I knew I was speaking it correctly and that they knew what I was saying, but they all just looked at me like I was something they had stepped in!:mad:

And they have no concept of the queue system! We only rode PotC and Indian Jones and by the time we did those, we were so stressed out by people trying to cut in front of us all of the time that we just didn't bother with Space Mountain!

And the rest of Paris wasn't much better! We did al of the major attractions, Place de Concorde, Sacre Couer etc, and everywhere we went, we were nearly run over, mugged, jostled or completely ignored!

It was a horrible experience and I've flatly refused to go back since!

adrianuk91

I've been to DLP and it doesn't compare to WDW at all. The last time I went was last october and we queued for about 1hour for Thunder mountain and it kept braking down but we just stood patiently in the queue determined that we were gonna ride it eventually when we got on it we were about 3/4 and it got stuck on the lift hill. we were sat there for over 1/2 hour before they fixed it and by this time we were very uncomfortable due to it being on the lift hill and then when we got off there were no I'm sorry for your inconvienece or anything. We spent the whole morning on Thunder mountain and it had ruined that day of our 3 day holiday. DLP is ok but in my opinion has not got the same high standards that WDW has and the weather is not very good either lol.

CAPTAIN HOOK

I've been to DLP and it doesn't compare to WDW at all. The last time I went was last october and we queued for about 1hour for Thunder mountain and it kept braking down but we just stood patiently in the queue determined that we were gonna ride it eventually when we got on it we were about 3/4 and it got stuck on the lift hill. we were sat there for over 1/2 hour before they fixed it and by this time we were very uncomfortable due to it being on the lift hill and then when we got off there were no I'm sorry for your inconvienece or anything. We spent the whole morning on Thunder mountain and it had ruined that day of our 3 day holiday. DLP is ok but in my opinion has not got the same high standards that WDW has and the weather is not very good either lol.

Welcome aboard :wave:

Sounds like you could have had more fun on Blackpool Pleasure Beach on a wet Bank Holiday Monday :lol:

kirstenoel

Cast members often like to practice English with guests!!

I am English and I've been to DLRP 7 times... and I'm going again in 3 days ... I have never experienced anything like this - cast members have always been polite and friendly and a lot of the time, cast members who do not know the language so well say that they find it useful to have conversations with me and my family, to help them improve their English.

In fact, I remember one girl saying to me "I like to practice my contraception" and I felt rude correcting her Lol!! :lol:

And as for the bell boy on TOT - maybe he was trying to stay in character - as many of the cast members do - or maybe he was just a grump!

Also. I kinda agree with the French - we all learn French at school.. why can't we be polite and simply respond in french or say something simple like "Je suis désolé mais je ne comprends pas" which I'm sure the cast members wouldn't mind! I always try to speak French when I'm there - I feel rude if they say Bonjour and I answer in English!!!

kirstenoel

frustrating Q jump!

And they have no concept of the queue system! We only rode PotC and Indian Jones and by the time we did those, we were so stressed out by people trying to cut in front of us all of the time that we just didn't bother with Space Mountain!

It was a horrible experience and I've flatly refused to go back since!

It is true, the rest of europe seem to have no idea about queues. I went to Thorpe Park with my friend last month and they have signs saying "Queue jumping is not tolerated" followed by what counts as queue jumping. My friend thought this was hilarious until I told her what it's like when you go to places like DLRP. People there have no idea, they let their kids push to the front, then follow. but I've been to Florida a few times and find it's the same there. A lot of people there (one nationality in particular - but I'm not going to say cuz may be seen as racist!!) can't Q. It's so frustrating!!!

Blink Me

I just got back from dlp yesterday. got no abuse for being english at the tower of terror and went on it 5 times. once even with the audio in english. was great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom