They don't like the English at DLP!

klacker50

Original Poster
I've been trying to convince my hubby to go to DLP for some time as we both love WDW but I'm now 7 months pregnant so we won't be going trans-atlantic for some time. I was just starting to convince him (as I've been before and really enjoyed it) when we were delt the fatal blow.....

A good friend of my husbands has just returned from visiting DLP with his kids and he had a rubbish time....because he's english! When watching a show the CM was asking who in the audience was from which country. Only the English got boo-ed (no other national from a differnt country got boo-ed)! Then when riding the newly opened tower of terror, the bell hop was asking where everyone was from. When he asked our friend (who was riding alone) where he was from he replied with "England" to which the bell hop replied.... "what's the matter with you English, are you too dumb or too lazy to learn another language?". Excuse me! Not appropriate behaviour from Disney staff.....

Needless to say, hubby not keen on going now.

Philo

:eek: Can't say I saw any of that when I was there.

I kind of get their point though, most English people (including me) only speak English but we expect other countries to learn our language.

Still, I wouldn't expect this behaviour from anyone, let alone a CM!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I`ve been twice now, third time in April, and have never encounted anything.

I wouldn`t draw conclusions from what your friend says, and wouldn`t go calling a thread They don't like the English at DLP! either - it could be considered racist.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I always thought that the French hated anyone that was not French and that Parisians pretty much hated everyone including themselves, the only exception being Jerry Lewis.:shrug:

:lol:

Tim G

I always thought that the French hated anyone that was not French and that Parisians pretty much hated everyone including themselves, the only exception being Jerry Lewis.:shrug:

:lol:

I like france, it's a wonderful country... It's only such a shame that the residents are french... :lookaroun

However... there are nice french too... they really exist... :D

They should have filed a serious complaint after this incident.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Ask them what the final score was in the Six Nations rugby last Saturday :ROFLOL:

For the benefit of our American friends England played France, in France and whooped their a**es.

TP2000

As a proud American, I want to extend an invitation for you and your English friends to come visit us here instead! Leave the French alone so they can be.... French. :zipit:

We have two Magic Kingdom's here in America, plus four other Disney parks to visit, each with their own charms and unique offerings. We owe much of our American culture and heritage to the English, and we'd be happy to have you come visit us! :wave:

And heck, if it weren't for all of those wonderful English writers in the first place, Walt Disney wouldn't have had the great material to work with that he did for his movies and Characters! Without the English, there would be no Peter Pan's Flight, no Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, no Alice In Wonderland dark ride, no Mad Tea Party, the banks of StorybookLand Canal Boats would be quite bare, etc., etc.

minnie2000

I've got to chime in here - some of us do speak French, and we spent years in University learning it! I love learning languages, and I always find that when you speak to someone in their own language, even if it is not perfect, they seem pleased that you have at least tried.

It does seem to be quite rare in the UK though, that people learn foreign languages. They are not really taken very seriously in the education system. In France and Germany they start English at the age of about 5 in school. In the UK, they start at 11 if they are lucky, and the children don't always have the opportunity to learn more than one language.

I studied French, German and Latin, and am now learning Welsh. I would also like to learn Spanish. I have needed German at work for the last 11 years, and although I am a full-time Mum now, when I worked I spoke to German people every day.

Sorry - off the language soap box now. :eek:

TheDisneyMagic

Ask them what the final score was in the Six Nations rugby last Saturday :ROFLOL:

Come on England!!!! What a game!

I have visited DLRP a good few times over the years and never experienced this, we have made a few jokes with cast members before over "the French vs the English" but it has allways just been a good laugh.

I wouldn't take what your friends have said to heart, go, go and have a great time!

cmatt

you get used to it - living in scotland now for 5 years, and you tend to block out the plebs who insist on being ignorant...

that said - i speak french....

lilclerk

It does seem to be quite rare in the UK though, that people learn foreign languages. They are not really taken very seriously in the education system. In France and Germany they start English at the age of about 5 in school. In the UK, they start at 11 if they are lucky, and the children don't always have the opportunity to learn more than one language.
That pretty much seems to be the idea here in the USA too. We could start a language in 7th grade (about 12 years old) but we didn't have to. I needed two years of a language (I took one of Spanish and one of Latin) to graduate high school, but that doesn't mean I remember any of it now :shrug: It's a shame, I wish I had the time and dedication to really learn a new language now.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If everyone spoke English there wouldn't be a language problem :shrug:

:rolleyes:
Not even that would solve the problem. I remember one night at AC I ran into 2 couples from Newcastle who "claimed" to be speaking English but it was unlike any English I have ever heard.:lol:

cmatt

I've got to chime in here - some of us do speak French, and we spent years in University learning it! I love learning languages, and I always find that when you speak to someone in their own language, even if it is not perfect, they seem pleased that you have at least tried.

I studied French, German and Latin, and am now learning Welsh. I would also like to learn Spanish. I have needed German at work for the last 11 years, and although I am a full-time Mum now, when I worked I spoke to German people every day.

Sorry - off the language soap box now. :eek:

i started french when i was 6 at school in east sussex.... love the language...
it may of changed by now though :shrug:

cmatt

Not even that would solve the problem. I remember one night at AC I ran into 2 couples from Newcastle who "claimed" to be speaking English but it was unlike any English I have ever heard.:lol:

heh...

geordies

*snigger*

crazy crazy people - they seem to be able to withstand - 10oC tempretures with just jeans and a tshirt :eek:

For the benefit of our American friends England played France, in France and whooped their a**es.

All teams of any sport must bow down to the all powerfull NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS!! Well now that I have offended two countries, all the Boston Metropolitan area, Dallas, and well everyone who doesnt like the giants... :p back to the topic at hand. Every company has bad employees and that CM sounds like one of them. At least bad disney CMs seem to be one in a million.

Plus, not that french isnt a nice sounding launguage or an important one, but if I was to choose a a second launguage there are many other launguages that have a lot more speakers. Most studies show that Chinese, English, Spanish and Hindi consistently rank within the top five of the most widely spoken lanquages. French comes in around 11th-13th depending on the list you look at. But I would assume knowing french would come in handy more over in Europe than here in the US because of the proximity of the countries to each other.... I could be wrong though.

I think that is more than i have written in my last five posts combined :lol:

disney magic 06

We watched an England football (soccer!) game at Planet Hollywood in the Disney Village in a recent European qualifier. The CMs had England flags up around the bar and were all cheering on England, it was a great atmosphere.

Shame the team blew what could have been a great night :mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom