There is no attendance problem at WDW

jt04

Seemed like almost EVERYONE had "I'm Celebrating!" buttons on. Most were generic and didn't say what the celebration was but some people had things written on them. This was in addition to the specialty birthday buttons.

Were they giving the buttons away?

Brian_WDW74

Were they giving the buttons away?

They've set up one of the carts from the Family Fun Day Parade next to City Hall and loaded it with the different celebration buttons. You just walk up and take the ones you want. There's a CM there who makes sure you don't get too greedy.

jt04

They've set up one of the carts from the Family Fun Day Parade next to City Hall and loaded it with the different celebration buttons. You just walk up and take the ones you want. There's a CM there who makes sure you don't get too greedy.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I hate promotions, but hey, if they are going to do one this seems like a good way to get guests involved.

Goofnut1980

I will say the one thing that hasn't dropped is the price for a nights stay at the resorts. Last I checked it was $119 for a night at Pop Century....in February? I got a room for $40 in Sept for the last night of PI.

How is $119 a value resort.. we pay less for a hilton somewhere... :ROFLOL:
They used to only charge $79... We went the week of Dec 5th 2008 and the lady at the counter of POP said they were fully booked... everyone said previous years they were never this busy...

Kristamouse

I hope this is a good sign for the rest of the economy in 09.
Is it bad to hope that attendence is very very low the last week of May? :p

WDW1974

Figure in all the capacity reductions Disney has made and its no wonder the parks feel busy at times.

Just one simple example: Fantasmic only runs two nights per week. On five nights there is easily 5-8k worth of guests that have been displaced from MGM that are now hanging out at MK and Epcot. To further the example look at a Friday night with EMH at Epcot. The place has a healthy crowd. The day before? Not so much...

Very good point ... and take it even further ... look at MK, Splash Mountain (and all that capacity) was closed for two weeks ... right across the way Pecos Bill Cafe (the second largest quick serve facility ... actually it may be the largest now with all the seating it added) has been closed as well ... labor cuts at the parks have reduced capacity at attractions as well ... and even things like HoP being closed means more people in the walkways ... it absolutely doesn't equate with actual attendance.

You can very easily make a day where 25,000 people are in the MK feel like there's over 40,000 by all of the above ... plus FastPass.

Go to Epcot ... on a recent day you have Energy closed, TT down, half of Mission Space's more popular orange side closed and, let's not forget, WoL rotting away ... do you know how much capacity that is? How easy it is to make even a relatively slow day appear far more crowded.

Disney has done well (relatively speaking) on weekends thus far in 2009 ... one weekend was the end of the Christmas holiday season ... the next weekend was the Disney marathon ... the next a three-day holiday MLK weekend ... the crowds during the week haven't been there, no matter how it has felt to anyone.

jt04

Very good point ... and take it even further ... look at MK, Splash Mountain (and all that capacity) was closed for two weeks ... right across the way Pecos Bill Cafe (the second largest quick serve facility ... actually it may be the largest now with all the seating it added) has been closed as well ... labor cuts at the parks have reduced capacity at attractions as well ... and even things like HoP being closed means more people in the walkways ... it absolutely doesn't equate with actual attendance.

You can very easily make a day where 25,000 people are in the MK feel like there's over 40,000 by all of the above ... plus FastPass.

Go to Epcot ... on a recent day you have Energy closed, TT down, half of Mission Space's more popular orange side closed and, let's not forget, WoL rotting away ... do you know how much capacity that is? How easy it is to make even a relatively slow day appear far more crowded.

Disney has done well (relatively speaking) on weekends thus far in 2009 ... one weekend was the end of the Christmas holiday season ... the next weekend was the Disney marathon ... the next a three-day holiday MLK weekend ... the crowds during the week haven't been there, no matter how it has felt to anyone.

Instead of writing a dissertation why not just admit your wrongness.:p:ROFLOL::p:wave:

goodtimes5286

From my visits recently I have seen good-sized crowds too. Let's all hope this is true since it would be good news - more people = more money for mickey = more investment in then future :)

I wish that was the case but sadly it isnt :(

Disney goes by the motto, if it aint broke, dont fix it, LITERALLY!

If attendance is up they figure, oh what the heck, we have the peoples money, why do we need to add anything? BUT if sales dwindle, OMG OMG OMG, we gotta bring back the people!!! They go into hurry up mode and add something. ADK's lost continent turning into camp mickey minney, DHS's influx of attractions, etc

My wife and I are on our honeymoon here in WDW, staying at Coranado, and I must say Disney seems quite busy. I understand the theories about how some things are closed so it 'feels' busy and blah blah blah... but Im not buying it... the entrance lines are healthy, the shops are busy, and in places like MK... from Buzz to Snow White, to HM to Pooh... the lines have been long both on Saturday and today (Monday). It did thin out tonight during extra magic hours in MK at maybe 9:30 or so... which was nice for us.

I can't really compare it to our last trip a year ago because that was during Feb vacation... but things seem a lot healthier than I was expecting... and quite frankly after watching all the crying about how Disney is going downhill and the quality isnt there and there's nothing new.... I just laugh now that we're here for 2 weeks... so far we've had a blast, weve seen a few things that we were disappointed with, but many that were better than I had expected too. All in all... the reason we come here every year has so far been yet again vindicated... show me a place I can have more fun and be more relaxed for 2 weeks... I havent found one yet.

disneytopdog

They used to only charge $79... We went the week of Dec 5th 2008 and the lady at the counter of POP said they were fully booked... everyone said previous years they were never this busy...

December 5 was the start of the beloved invasion of the "OH SO WELL BEHAVED-MY CHILD WOULD NEVER DO THAT" Pop Warner football/cheerleading thing...that would explain the crowds at the Values

stainofmind

I have noticed less plastic bags with souvenirs, but attendance is very strong right now, and has been all January.

Don't underestimate how important those souvenirs are to the bottom line. I just got back, sure, but I spent a lot less on toys and souvenirs this time around. Saved me a bundle, hurt them a bunch.

Dayma

I think it's hard sometimes to visually tell how "busy" the parks are. Unless you have one overall view of every attraction in the parks it's pretty superficial. That's not to say you cant tell between December and April but seeing a difference in 5% may be impossible to do by eye.

ryguy

See you need to set some perimeters so you can have a basis throughout the seasons. Just pick one or two rides, lets say Buzz Light year and Nemo at Epcot. Both rides are similar as they never really stop to let people on or off, unless they need too. In my mind if I am waiting stand-by for either one and the wait times are more than 30 minutes long, the place is to crowded for my cup of tea. I don't have the patience to wait for a ride I've been on a hundred times. So I just skip it. Thats just my standards but I think those of us who have been to Disney a lot can tell when its a light day or a Busy one.

We have to give credit to Disney for pretty much eliminating a slow season. When I was a kid there was no denying that Jan, May, Sept, October, Nov, and Early Dec. were dead and Disney marketed those times as a great time to see the world because it was slow. Thats just not the case anymore. With constant promotions and more international guests things have definitely changed. Hey and maybe many people are deciding to stay closer to home for vacations this year, skipping Hawaii, Europe, and the slopes for a Disney vacation. Price wise Disney has the edge on most of those places. Just my thoughts.

DisneyJoe

In 2009, for a standard room at the Value resorts the cost is $82/ weekday night plus tax in value season to a high of $125/ weekday night plus tax in Peak season, if you want to go in Holiday season you will pay $135/$145/night. Simple supply and demand economics.

Weekends and holidays may cost more.

Current AP and FL Res rates can bring this down to $49 or $69.

AAA can bring this down to around $69....

NMBC1993

Well I think they need to change their value season prices a bit. Now I know why its buy 4 get 3 free...you spend 3 times as much for the 4 nights you pay for. I was going to take an early no work/no school weekend 1 day vacation at Poly Concierge but at those prices...I'll just have a beer at my house:dazzle:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom