Then and Now - WDW Comparison Photos

Goofyernmost

I second that. Thank you, @WDWtraveler for sharing your comparison shots. They're quite thought-provoking, and I always look forward to seeing them. :)
Me too, but when I see them the first thing that comes to my mind is... where are all those trees and foliage that everyone talks about that used to be there? It seems to me, that in spite of some removal of trees it is still way more lush then it was early on.

blueboxdoctor

Twenty-sixth photo pair. Then: October 1973. The Magic Kingdom hub from the castle gate. Finally, the hub construction is complete and this photo pair can be posted. There wasn't a castle stage to speak of back then. The ground level forecourt was much larger. Of course, the trees and planter beds in the hub were much larger. The four huge planter beds were each surrounded by concrete benches. In the center of the hub was a small circular planter with concrete benches; and no statue.

View attachment 146301

Now: June 2016. Almost 43 years later....the buildings of Main Street are clearly visible. The gray platform in the foreground is the edge of the castle stage.

View attachment 146302

I actually like both of them, so no complaints from me. Though, looking at how many more people are there in the second picture, they really did have to do some redesign to figure out how to accommodate the growing crowds. It's kind of strange at first, but this is something that's not so hard to get used to (kind of like how New Fantasyland didn't instantly wow me, but after a while I started to really like what they did).

Raineman

Me too, but when I see them the first thing that comes to my mind is... where are all those trees and foliage that everyone talks about that used to be there? It seems to me, that in spite of some removal of trees it is still way more lush then it was early on.
Absolutely. Alot of the pictures in this thread that were taken in the early 70s in areas around the castle other than the middle of the hub look alot more stark and barren than they are now. I love the fact that the trees and foliage in MK are as lush as they are-it makes a large property like MK feel a bit more cozy and inviting.

brb1006

(Then)
The Magic Kingdom at night circa mid 1990's.
3.jpg

The Magic Kingdom back in the 90's looked alot more lively since it used to have trees which would sparkle and twinkle at night. The Cinderella Castle also used to look more pretty with the old lighting.

(Now)
IMG_8953-Edit-1-2-1400x933.jpg

The Empress Lilly

(Then)
3.jpg

The Magic Kingdom back in the 90's looked alot more lively since it used to have trees which would sparkle and twinkle at night. The Cinderella Castle also used to look more pretty with the old lighting.

(Now)
A park, water, trees, with twinkling lights....
vs Garden Center AstroTurf Land.

We shan't speak of the travesty that is modern Main Mall Street.

The lighting might be a matter of preference, both have something going for them. I think the classic lighting is more mysterious, more grand and dignified. The new light looks like it caught Flora and Merryweather battling over pink or blue.

blueboxdoctor

(Then)
3.jpg

(Now)
I like both. I mean, the new changes were needed to accommodate growing crowds. While I somewhat prefer the older setup, I still like the new one. Still conflicted on which lights on the castle I prefer, both look nice, so either way I like it. Really, it would take a lot to ruin the Main Street area of the Magic Kingdom for me (though, getting rid of the bakery for a Starbucks was very disappointing).

Simba's Mom

This thread is SOO interesting! How come I never saw it before. Now I know is that at least I'm not the only one who's changed over the years! Does anyone have any pictures of the area where the Grand Floridian is from before and after it was added?

ChristianG

(Then)
3.jpg

(Now)
The old lighting looks a mess! Almost looks like they used fluorescent lighting on the top spire. I wish there were more twinkle lights today but I prefer the current view - especially at night.

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Twenty-seventh photo pair. Then: October 1973. The view of Fantasyland from behind the castle.

007 Oct 1973.jpg

Now: July 2016. Almost 43 years later, aside from differences in paint colors, the most obvious difference is the missing cables and gondolas for the sky ride in the background. But wait, there's more! The shop on the right has added a seating wall with a flower planter behind it, including two new lights. There is a hanging sign at the corner of the store now. And the gray stone-patterned concrete pavement in the foreground of yesteryear is now just tinted smooth concrete.

IMG_8186 July 2016.JPG

Goofyernmost

Stop, you are obviously photo-shopping those pictures, because anyone that is anyone at all knows full well that WDW has gone to garbage over the years, so none of the can be true.

Mike S

Twenty-seventh photo pair. Then: October 1973. The view of Fantasyland from behind the castle.

View attachment 157335

Now: July 2016. Almost 43 years later, aside from differences in paint colors, the most obvious difference is the missing cables and gondolas for the sky ride in the background. But wait, there's more! The shop on the right has added a seating wall with a flower planter behind it, including two new lights. There is a hanging sign at the corner of the store now. And the gray stone-patterned concrete pavement in the foreground of yesteryear is now just tinted smooth concrete.

View attachment 157336
Why did they ever get rid of that stone pavement anyway?

brb1006

"People" ruin everything it seems. Animal Kingdom is fairly uneven as well and I hope it never changes. Adds a lot to the theming.
Animal Kingdom appears to be the only park at WDW that remains unchanged with its looks and design since 1998.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom