Politics Theme Park Reopening Guidelines to be released 10/20/20

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Disstevefan1

Orange County not being proactive in getting the virus under control. THAT'S BAD.
Well it’s clear that Disneyland remaining closed, all the hotels and businesses surrounding DLR, that are closed or nearly closed, due to DLR being closed, is not helping in any way to control the virus.

el_super

Well it’s clear that Disneyland remaining closed, all the hotels and businesses surrounding DLR, that are closed or nearly closed, due to DLR being closed, is not helping in any way to control the virus.

How is that clear? Since Anaheim has always been one of the most hardest hit areas in Orange County, why doesn't it seem equally likely that the reliance on tourism is what allowed the virus to get a foothold here to begin with?

ToTBellHop

You realize the county is larger than the area around DL, and also larger than Anaheim?
F919C3EF-DB4A-4DA3-BA64-918C6DCFD842.jpeg

LukaLand

Could Disney, in theory, allow 500 guests in each park per day to comply with California's regulations for smaller parks? And just charge a heck of a lot more money per ticket? And maybe include a meal at a designated restaurant so that they don't have to worry about opening too many food locations. There's got to be a number per ticket that would make it worth it.

ToTBellHop

Could Disney, in theory, allow 500 guests in each park per day to comply with California's regulations for smaller parks? And just charge a heck of a lot more money per ticket? And maybe include a meal at a designated restaurant so that they don't have to worry about opening too many food locations. There's got to be a number per ticket that would make it worth it.
$50,000

PostScott

You know Disney would just be called greedy and "only for the rich". People on here bash prices at Disney already, dont need to give them another reason to lol

DavidDL

So, I know this idea sounds silly but I wonder how feasible it would be if Disney really tried to implement something like it. Someone on these forums jokingly suggested treating each land as it's own kind of "mini-park" that holds 500 people at a time but let me take it a step further:

Step 1) Announce Main Street USA and all it's shops/dining as an "extension of Downtown Disney".
Step 2) Sell tickets to the various lands ("parks within a park") and create dedicated access paths to and from them in advance/through reservation and have Guests access them when it's their time to from the Hub (or in this case, the end of "Downtown Disney").

The lands could be adjusted to work within the new capacity limits and provide experiences so that the 500 people limit doesn't end up costing more than it makes. Not everything would need to be open in certain areas to save on operation costs. All of this in addition to the standard COVID procedures being demanded of parks across the country already (distancing, masks, disinfecting, etc.).

I know that sounds rough but maybe there's a workable idea in there somewhere that Disney would be able to pitch at Sacramento? Their park offers a unique design with it's lands and spoke hub that other parks like Universal, Legoland, etc. wouldn't be able to take advantage of. With only 500 people in a "park" at a time, folks would probably not need long in the area (thus cutting down on time spent in the park with others), so maybe it could be done like the Galaxy's Edge reservation system where you're given X amount of time in the land with 500 other people, then crews come in and disinfect it heavily in preparation of the next 500 that were lucky enough to secure a ticket?

If it ended up going well, perhaps they'd even be able to convince the Governor that things are being run fine in the parks and assuage his fears a bit. I dunno, it's just a thought. Worst they can do is say no, right?

PostScott

So, I know this idea sounds silly but I wonder how feasible it would be if Disney really tried to implement something like it. Someone on these forums jokingly suggested treating each land as it's own kind of "mini-park" that holds 500 people at a time but let me take it a step further:

Step 1) Announce Main Street USA and all it's shops/dining as an "extension of Downtown Disney".
Step 2) Sell tickets to the various lands ("parks within a park") and create dedicated access paths to and from them in advance/through reservation and have Guests access them when it's their time to from the Hub (or in this case, the end of "Downtown Disney").

The lands could be adjusted to work within the new capacity limits and provide experiences so that the 500 people limit doesn't end up costing more than it makes. Not everything would need to be open in certain areas to save on operation costs. All of this in addition to the standard COVID procedures being demanded of parks across the country already (distancing, masks, disinfecting, etc.).

I know that sounds rough but maybe there's a workable idea in there somewhere that Disney would be able to pitch at Sacramento? Their park offers a unique design with it's lands and spoke hub that other parks like Universal, Legoland, etc. wouldn't be able to take advantage of. With only 500 people in a "park" at a time, folks would probably not need long in the area (thus cutting down on time spent in the park with others), so maybe it could be done like the Galaxy's Edge reservation system where you're given X amount of time in the land with 500 other people, then crews come in and disinfect it heavily in preparation of the next 500 that were lucky enough to secure a ticket?

If it ended up going well, perhaps they'd even be able to convince the Governor that things are being run fine in the parks and assuage his fears a bit. I dunno, it's just a thought. Worst they can do is say no, right?
Hmm, kinda going back to the ticket based attractions but with land tickets? So that means that park would be able to hold 3,500 in DL and 2,500 in DCA (not counting pacific wharf).

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Its an interesting idea, and definitely thinking outside the box, but I would say its a no go. I know some around here like to assert that those in Sacramento are clueless, but I assure you they aren't. Some may not agree with their current strategy and other politics but they clearly know what a theme park is and how its run. As evident by the recent breakdown of how Knott's was able to get their "taste" events approved.

So I doubt they are going to approve an entire theme park like Disneyland being broken up into a bunch of smaller theme parks. But kudos for thinking outside the box.

DavidDL

Its an interesting idea, and definitely thinking outside the box, but I would say its a no go. I know some around here like to assert that those in Sacramento are clueless, but I assure you they aren't. Some may not agree with their current strategy and other politics but they clearly know what a theme park is and how its run. As evident by the recent breakdown of how Knott's was able to get their "taste" events approved.

So I doubt they are going to approve an entire theme park like Disneyland being broken up into a bunch of smaller theme parks. But kudos for thinking outside the box.

Not "an entire theme park". ;) Smaller, land "experiences", haha. I imagine they might be able to get around this by denying folks who have a ticket to the "New Orleans Square experience" access to the "Tomorrowland experience". If amount of time spent in the resort and mixing with others is something they're worried about and the main reason for not allowing the park to open in any capacity, this at least kind of addresses those concerns. Folks don't have access to "Disneyland" they have access to one "experience" of their choice for a shortened amount of time which would also be subject to the same COVID rules as open parks.

I know the answer would still be a no-go. But that's just my head space. Happy to help think creatively! Maybe someone in the company can take that idea and push it to the next level. Work out the kinks I'm obviously blind to.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not "an entire theme park". ;) Smaller, land "experiences", haha. I imagine they might be able to get around this by denying folks who have a ticket to the "New Orleans Square experience" access to the "Tomorrowland experience". If amount of time spent in the resort and mixing with others is something they're worried about and the main reason for not allowing the park to open in any capacity, this at least kind of addresses those concerns. Folks don't have access to "Disneyland" they have access to one "experience" of their choice for a shortened amount of time which would also be subject to the same COVID rules as open parks.

I know the answer would still be a no-go. But that's just my head space. Happy to help think creatively! Maybe someone in the company can take that idea and push it to the next level. Work out the kinks I'm obviously blind to.
It comes down to the following:

1. Amount of time spent in location.
2. Mixing with those outside local region which can result in COVID traveling and spreading outside local region.

So unless you're going to limit time spent to the "land experience" to a total of 2-4 hours, no per "land" but total time. And limit it to only locals from same county, meaning just OC. Then its probably a no-go.

Disstevefan1

How is that clear? Since Anaheim has always been one of the most hardest hit areas in Orange County, why doesn't it seem equally likely that the reliance on tourism is what allowed the virus to get a foothold here to begin with?

Its clear to me because DLR being closed all this time (and will be closed into 2021) has done nothing to improve the numbers.

Whatever has made the numbers so bad today has nothing to do with DLR.

Perhaps if the was a safe place to spend leisure time (like DLR with all the precautions like all the other Disneyparks) maybe that may even help :)

Anjin

Some fun outside the box thinking on here, but the guidelines on what counts as a smaller park are spelled out pretty clearly.
Smaller parks are defined as parks with overall capacity fewer than 15,000 based on the design/operating capacity or fire department occupant limit.

TP2000

After how many times it has been explained, I am going to guess here that Sacramento has a better understanding of what needs to be done, than you do.

Just in case you are actually honest in your desire to understand this:

Theme parks being open = tourists from out of state. That's bad.
Expanded Capacity at a shopping center = far fewer out of state tourists. That's good.

Theme parks being open = people staying for upwards of 8 to 10 hours a day. That's bad.
Downtown Disney being open = people staying for 2 to 3 hours. That's good.
Starbucks on Buena Vista Street being open = maybe an extra 30 minutes of waiting. That's fine.

It is, as it has always been, about the number of people and the number of interactions over time. More people with more opportunities to interact is what is being avoided.

I totally get that. And yet...

Disneyland is a big draw, even if it's just a themed shopping mall and a food festival that is not a festival. Buzz Price was a brilliant man. Disneyland sits smack dab in the middle of over 20 Million people within a 90 minute freeway drive.

Three of those five counties are in the most racist and unhealthy Purple Tier (LA 10.1 Million, Riverside 2.5 Million, San Bernardino 2.2 Million) and two of those counties are in the less racist and healthier Red Tier (OC 3.2 Million, San Diego 3.3 Million).

People are bored and have money to spend. They will go to Disneyland for a festival that's not a festival if it is offered. That seems like a whole lot of integrated mixing of various counties with over 20 million potential customers.

The post from @Darkbeer was extremely enlightening, and also a peek into how Sacramento Sausage is made. But as Disneyland tries to pry more and more of the park open, let's not pretend it's only going to draw in some AP's from Fullerton and Irvine. It will be a draw for all of SoCal, just as it's always been.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom