Politics Theme Park Reopening Guidelines to be released 10/20/20

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

AJFireman

Maybe Theme Parks need to ask the local Pumpkin Patch / Carnival on how they operate and stay open with rides. Found this gem tonight in a major city in Southern California but not sure how long it has been operating. Crowded / No plexiglass / No floor marking 6 feet seperation / Lines with no real Social Distancing / No mask enforcement except when you walk in and couple of signs. Touching pumpkins over and over by different people without sanitation has to be some kinda safety concern.

I remember conversations here before about ride needing to be recertified when they open. I wonder if they really do need to be certified or is their annual or similar certification they stand by. This site is pretty obvious they did not have a state inspector certify them.

Walt must be rolling in his grave saying he should of just opened a Carnival to stay open. They even had a Carousel and a Roller Coaster.

20201027_202129.jpg
20201027_202554.jpg
20201027_202628.jpg
20201027_202702.jpg

el_super

Why does it matter if its a vacation or not? The park can easily enforce proximity rules if travel is a concern. Disney has parks open around the world right now and has not been linked to any outbreaks.
It doesn't matter if it's called a vacation or not, the point is that people on vacation means extra people in the same geographical area, and that is what needs to be avoided. People generally don't drive from other counties or out of state just to visit a mall. they would travel from out of state just to visit a working theme park though. The idea behind this guidance is to reduce the number of outside visitors coming in for non-essential activities.

From the rumors going around, proximity rules for admission and advertising were part of the theme park guidance that Disney rejected. I actually think I would be more comfortable with Disneyland reopening if those limits on visitors and advertising were in place, and Disney was limited to just Anaheim/Orange County residents.

As for the outbreak statement... still highly suspect. We know there are increasing counts of infection and they have to be coming from somewhere. So if no outbreaks have been traced to theme parks, where are the outbreaks coming from?

Maybe Theme Parks need to ask the local Pumpkin Patch / Carnival on how they operate and stay open with rides. Found this gem tonight in a major city in Southern California but not sure how long it has been operating. Crowded / No plexiglass / No floor marking 6 feet seperation / Lines with no real Social Distancing / No mask enforcement except when you walk in and couple of signs. Touching pumpkins over and over by different people without sanitation has to be some kinda safety concern.

Did you report them to the local health department?

We came down last week from Seattle to visit family and went to DTD. Doing it again this weekend for Knotts Fall o Ween and DTD again. People will travel for theme parks. There were other people on our flight back with Disney shopping bags, too.

One case though isn't really indicative of the general population as a whole. If there were more people willing to travel to visit Downtown Disney (and admittedly you were here for family as well), then the hotels would be open and business would be thriving.

Stevek

Original Poster

I remember conversations here before about ride needing to be recertified when they open. I wonder if they really do need to be certified or is their annual or similar certification they stand by. This site is pretty obvious they did not have a state inspector certify them.

Walt must be rolling in his grave saying he should of just opened a Carnival to stay open. They even had a Carousel and a Roller Coaster.

View attachment 508824View attachment 508830View attachment 508828View attachment 508829
Is this Corona? We have the same type of Pumpkin Patch here, packed to the gills.

Stevek

Original Poster
Not for nothing, but maybe places like that that are "packed to the gills" with no real social distancing rules could be one of the reasons why Riverside County has seen a spike in COVID cases and went backwards from Red tier to Purple.
One of many but I won't get into that :)

The reality is, I see this type of stuff all over the place. We were at our cabin in Bear and the town was absolutely packed, like 4th of July crowded. There was no way we were going to go out into the masses. We then drove out to Big Bear City where the convention center is...parking lot full with folks at Oktoberfest. My head was spinning. Folks have just given up at this point.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
One of many but I won't get into that :)

The reality is, I see this type of stuff all over the place. We were at our cabin in Bear and the town was absolutely packed, like 4th of July crowded. There was no way we were going to go out into the masses. We then drove out to Big Bear City where the convention center is...parking lot full with folks at Oktoberfest. My head was spinning. Folks have just given up at this point.
And people keep wondering why there are pockets of spikes all over the state. If people would just do the simple thing of wearing a mask and social distance while still being out and about doing activities, then we'd see a huge drop in cases.

Oh well, what can you do.... 🤷‍♂️

AJFireman

Is this Corona? We have the same type of Pumpkin Patch here, packed to the gills.
Yes. I am just surprised it hasnt been shut down since its viewable from the 15 freeway its not like they are concealing anything.

I absolutely agree at this point a majority of people have given up.

Stevek

Original Poster
Yes. I am just surprised it hasnt been shut down since its viewable from the 15 freeway its not like they are concealing anything.

My wife and I say the same thing every time we go by.

Bob Harlem

This is why lockdowns won't work--even in europe--after the initial unknown period back in March, it'll just move everything underground/off the record (aka speakeasy) and wind up being even worse than if they were open with decent protocols. People say one thing to appear "proper" and do another.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is why lockdowns won't work--even in europe--after the initial unknown period back in March, it'll just move everything underground/off the record (aka speakeasy) and wind up being even worse than if they were open with decent protocols. People say one thing to appear "proper" and do another.
That's why we should repeal all laws banning murder. It has just pushed murderers underground. Can't anything be done about it.

October82

Can anyone remind me why theme parks need to be closed if the death rate for COVID 19 is almost the same as the flu?

Or is that not true?

That is not true.

Both are serious diseases, and the flu deserves more attention than it has received in the past, but Covid 19 is more transmissible, deadlier, and has more severe and longer term health consequences.

mickEblu

That is not true.

Both are serious diseases, and the flu deserves more attention than it has received in the past, but Covid 19 is more transmissible, deadlier, and has more severe and longer term health consequences.

I can understand that it may be more transmissible and possibly have more severe long term consequences but how much deadlier is it? Considering the questionable way they have been counting COVID deaths and how flu deaths don’t have to be reported in the US? So to get a bit more specific, is it being perhaps slightly deadlier worth the negative economic impact? And the long term impact of kids not being in school? And me going crazy not only because I’m bored but because I’m truly never off as I’m either working long days or playing teacher at home with a newborn and a son we re homeschooling?

George Lucas on a Bench

I can understand that it may be more transmissible and possibly have more severe long term consequences but how much deadlier is it? Considering the questionable way they have been counting COVID deaths and how flu deaths don’t have to be reported in the US? So to get a bit more specific, is it being perhaps slightly deadlier worth the negative economic impact? And the long term impact of kids not being in school? And me going crazy not only because I’m bored but because I’m truly never off as I’m either working long days or playing teacher at home with a newborn and a son we re homeschooling?

Kids should obviously stay home because the Coronavirus is wiping them out in record numbers. They're clearly Supra Spreader Carriers, the little brats. They need to stay home and save lives. As for you? Complaining about homeschooling? What's that all about? Do you want your grandparents to die so you don't have to care for your children? Stay home! Save those lives. As for leaving to go to work? Stay home! Save lives! Give up your livelihood! Enter poverty! Then, you will have proven yourself. Thank you.

October82

I can understand that it may be more transmissible and possibly have more severe long term consequences but how much deadlier is it?

A factor of 5-10 times is a good intuitive guess.

Considering the questionable way they have been counting COVID deaths

I don't know of any reputable evidence of systematic issues in the counting of Covid deaths.

and how flu deaths don’t have to be reported in the US?

I would have to look into how flu deaths are reported and estimated more closely to comment on the specific issue, but we have both primary estimates (case fatality rates) that depend on testing and reporting, as well as secondary ways of estimating the death toll due to each cause (for example, excess death counts, SEIR modeling). Those estimates are consistent with one another.

So to get a bit more specific, is it being perhaps slightly deadlier worth the negative economic impact? And the long term impact of kids not being in school? And me going crazy not only because I’m bored but because I’m truly never off as I’m either at work putting in long hours some days or playing teacher at home with a newborn and a son we re homeschooling?
One of the basic issues that has been lost in this debate is that we do not choose whether there are consequences. When we talk about something like Covid-19, we know that the case fatality rate is as high as ~5%. When you combine that with an R0 of ~2, we are talking about millions of deaths (rather than hundreds of thousands). Losing millions of lives has severe and incalculable economic impacts before accounting for the human suffering.

The question is not whether the costs of preventing spread are worth the loss of life, the question is how do we minimize the combined loss of life, economic and social impacts. We need to consider all of the dimensions of the problem, and most of our discussions are phrasing things as either/or dilemmas, without acknowledging that we would be an economic recession and facing severe social consequences no matter what public health officials had done. There is a wide body of evidence that countries which responded effectively to the pandemic (early universal mask wearing, delayed reopening) have done better on economic and social measures than countries that didn't. So the evidence seems to indicate that the answer to "So to get a bit more specific, is it being perhaps slightly deadlier worth the negative economic impact?" is yes, it is worth the economic consequences to mitigate the pandemic.

We need to stop acting like we have an either/or dilemma before us. We need to respond to the pandemic and mitigate the social and economic consequences through stimulus and support for people like teachers and families with children.

Last edited:

ppete1975

They work in china... then again they weld doors shut and you might not be seen again if you leave your house. The only way to do it properly is make people stay in their homes... impossible, impractical and prob illegal in the US

D

Deleted member 107043

A factor of 5-10 times is a good intuitive guess.

The World Health Organization estimates that worldwide, annual influenza epidemics result in about 250,000 to 500,000 deaths.

Source: https://www.medscape.com/answers/219557-3459/what-is-the-global-incidence-of-influenza

From a quick Google search I found that there have been a mind boggling 1.17 million recorded deaths this year worldwide as a result of Covid-19. And this thing is still out there spreading and killing people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom