Politics Theme Park Reopening Guidelines to be released 10/20/20

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Gottalovepluto

I've seen this mentioned a few times so please help me to understand; is one of the main issues a lack of and/or willingness to be tested? Because it seems to me (-and please correct me if I'm wrong), that if enough people went and tested negative, wouldn't that sort of offset things and push them in the right direction? My assumption being folks aren't being counted at all if they don't go and therefore are making the numbers look worse in the end then they (maybe?) are?

If that be the case, I wonder what they could do to push for more testing? If it really is a possible answer. I know it doesn't seem.. erm, ethical or patriotic to force people to stick a swap into their brain if they don't want to but like, if we all did it, would we be back on track?
If you don’t have symptoms, have not knowingly been exposed, are not an essential employee or are not at high risk you are not supposed to be allowed to be tested. https://covid19.ca.gov/get-tested/#who-can-get-tested

George Lucas on a Bench

Orange County has been a cesspool of COVID denialism/anti-mask nonsense (much like this board!)

It's just not true. I live and work in the Anaheim area. I've been wearing masks since before Fauci and everyone changed their minds and told us to wear them. The only difference is I have much cooler masks since my trip to Universal Orlando. I get tested regularly for work. This is a ridiculous generalization. We've had trouble with enforcing masks like many other parts of the country, but I wouldn't say we're a cesspool of COVID denial and anti-maskers. But you're fine. I'm not upset.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've seen this mentioned a few times so please help me to understand; is one of the main issues a lack of and/or willingness to be tested? Because it seems to me (-and please correct me if I'm wrong), that if enough people went and tested negative, wouldn't that sort of offset things and push them in the right direction? My assumption being folks aren't being counted at all if they don't go and therefore are making the numbers look worse in the end then they (maybe?) are?

If that be the case, I wonder what they could do to push for more testing? If it really is a possible answer. I know it doesn't seem.. erm, ethical or patriotic to force people to stick a swap into their brain if they don't want to but like, if we all did it, would we be back on track?

Yes, your instincts are good.

As I've posted many times in the Coronavirus thread, that the way states come to their Positivity Rate has some wonkiness to it.

So, for example, if only those with symptoms get tested, the Positivity Rate will be high. But if a large number of people without symptoms get tested (they're afraid of a new spike, perhaps), then the Positivity Rate goes down.

Ideally, the state is randomly testing everyone for a true picture of positivity (you do that by offering rewards to those who agree to be tested when approached, like with a gift certificate, e.g.).

So, it's in Orange County's self-interest to encourage and make easily and freely available as many tests as possible.

And that would be more than a way to cheat the system by driving down the Positivity Rate, more testing when coupled with contact tracing for those who do test positive helps contain the virus more than a low amount of testing.

SuddenStorm

If social distancing, hand sanitizing, and masks are effective at stopping those infected with the disease from spreading it- and if Disney has proven in Florida and Downtown Disney that they're willing to enforce strict capacity and social distancing and mask requirements-

Why aren't they open?

The safety measures either work or they don't. If they work, let's get Disneyland reopened.

If they don't, let's stop with this whole charade and get back to living lives.

DavidDL

Orange County has been a cesspool of COVID denialism/anti-mask nonsense (much like this board!) so maybe that dampens testing?

And I'm sure you meant to "stick a swab into their brain" comment in jest, but there is a false conspiracy theory going around that claims the swab tests penetrate your blood-brain barrier. Which would be impossible to do with a cotton swab.

Yes, the brain bit was embellishment, for anyone out there reading whom it might scare off. I know it does not actually hit your brain, just that it goes uncomfortably deep and probably scares some folks away from even considering it. Sorry to possibly perpetuate that myth further. Just a joke!

DavidDL

If you don’t have symptoms, have not knowingly been exposed, are not an essential employee or are not at high risk you are not supposed to be allowed to be tested. https://covid19.ca.gov/get-tested/#who-can-get-tested

So this list leads me to believe anyone can get tested, just at a different priority rate. I know there are places around here in San Diego that are openly welcoming folks to come in and get tested. I think even our own TP2000 got tested on a whim? It sounds like it's possible but maybe just not enough of it is being done to twist the numbers into a better light. If they can, maybe they should work on that if it'll get the ball rolling quicker.

-and before anyone says it; I realize that the testing may or may not be free. Insurance may or may not cover it. But for the sake of our livelihoods, maybe it should be free? We're already screwed financially as it is, what's a couple extra digits? :p

TP2000

More digs on Nancy Pelosi's hair and personal attacks at me from the Peanut Gallery and still not one post explaining how diligently local officials are working with their communities to bring down Covid cases in OC so Disneyland can reopen as soon as possible. Oh wait, maybe that's because local officials aren't doing anything of note to fix the situation besides point their fingers at Sacramento.

Y'all are a trip.

Hans, that brand new Equity Metric wasn't even added until two weeks ago. It's brand new! o_O

The goalposts moved two weeks ago, to include how racist and pro-poor each county is. And as we've seen today, even from the top theme park executives in the state, no one really knows how it works or how it's scored. (Hopefully Mr. Potrock checked out this thread and the excellent explanation that @MisterPenguin provided. I had to read it twice, but it was fabulous info!).

So let's not go blaming all those naughty SoCal counties who aren't nearly as clean and tidy as San Francisco. We didn't even know what an Equity Metric was two weeks ago. And Los Angeles County's metrics are more racist and more unhealthy than Orange County, so we should start there first. Universal Studios needs help.

As for Nancy Pelosi's hairdo, that woman is a gay icon. She's 80, but looks as fresh as a 62 year old in June. The perfect hair. The artisanal silk masks. The endless supply of Manolo Blahnik's. The Apple Watch with the latest band. Perfection!

Sure, she got caught in an illegal speakeasy getting a blowout in her own district that had outlawed hair salons since March. And then threw the help under the bus and claimed it was a "setup". But she's still a gay icon and I admire her for keeping it as pulled together as she does. A lady's still got to get her hairdo did! God knows I've been going to speakeasy barber shops all summer long. :cool:

I wish Pelosi would pull Senator Feinstein into her illegal speakeasy salon in Pacific Heights so they can work on Feinstein's Betty Crocker Circa 1968 hairdo, but that's another story. :rolleyes:

The-Betty-Crocker-Portraits_04.jpg

I've wondered that too. It appears that the testing rates are based solely on the willingness to go get tested. I went and got a Covid test just for fun a few months ago up in OC. But I was negative. :(

I have absolutely no symptoms. I've actually not felt this great in years. But I can go get a free Covid test via the VA every two weeks. Or just go to CVS. Should I start going to get a Covid test just for fun to help the stats in OC?

I'm a white man that does not live in a poor zip code however, so I'm not going to do anything for the Equity Metric. But I could go get that swab shoved up my nose whenever I want. There's plenty of testing sites and endless appointments available all over the place.

Would it help for me to start getting tested every two weeks??? I'd do it for Ky'le From Tustin and all the other Disney Characters that Bob Chapek says populate Star Wars Land, if it would help them.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

And I miss him. ☺️ I’m about to go into my yearly winter hiatus, can’t keep up with 27 pages of new posts and am distracted by other things at this time of the year anyway. You all take care. I’m sure I’ll be looking in from time to time until I am lured back into the Disneyland forums regularly 😀

TP2000

And I miss him. ☺️ I’m about to go into my yearly winter hiatus, can’t keep up with 27 pages of new posts and am distracted by other things at this time of the year anyway. You all take care. I’m sure I’ll be looking in from time to time until I am lured back into the Disneyland forums regularly 😀

We'll all be here. Plus Betty Crocker.

The-Betty-Crocker-Portraits_04.jpg

TP2000

California theme parks are considering legal action and keeping “all options open” after state officials issued reopening guidelines that could keep the major tourist destinations closed until early 2021 or even next summer.

California Attractions and Parks Association executive director Erin Guerrero said during a news conference on Wednesday, Oct. 21 that California theme parks are considering legal action to gain permission to reopen or to change the state’s newly-released reopening guidelines.

“I think that all options are open at this point,” Guerrero said during the news conference. “We’re going to continue to explore our options.”

TP2000

I would love for someone who promotes that the state is being driven by "science" to explain with a straight face how the Ethical Modifier is scientific and not just obvious, random political pandering.

Considering this "crucial metric" didn't even exist two weeks ago and it doesn't exist throughout the country where I believe other scientists live, it feels oh, I don't know, completely made up and arbitrary?

Exactly. It's a brand new set of rules. And apparently, as San Francisco just showed, the fog can clear from around the Golden Gate and your 2.5 scientific score can be instantly turned into an unscientific 0.9 score.

No wonder Disneyland Prez Ken Potrock said on the Zoom call this morning that "the goalposts have moved again" in reference to the Yellow Tier suddenly being a thing for San Francisco, while all the SoCal counties stayed pat.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I would love for someone who promotes that the state is being driven by "science" to explain with a straight face how the Ethical Modifier is scientific and not just obvious, random political pandering.

Considering this "crucial metric" didn't even exist two weeks ago and it doesn't exist throughout the country where I believe other scientists live, it feels oh, I don't know, completely made up and arbitrary?

Because the state has an interest that there aren't pockets of poverty or ignored minorities that have high infection rates in the effort to fight the pandemic.

For example, let's say Orange County gets its positivity rate down to .8%. That's great, right? Let's open the theme parks up!!

But wait. While the county overall my be .8%, there are some neighborhoods still at 4%, but since it's a small minority, they don't skew the county-wide metric too much.

So what's the big deal?

Well, besides leaving the poor and marginalized with the burden of a plague that they don't have the means to deal with themselves is a humanitarian disgrace, there's a practical problem with leaving pockets of high infection rates: They don't stay in the pockets.

The minimum wage workers at Disneyland most likely live in those depressed neighborhoods and they pick up the virus there and bring it to the parks.

So, the state is saying that counties and cities need to do more than have a low positivity rate which may include small pockets of high positivity... it has to be low throughout the whole county/city.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom