The Worst Thing to Happen to Walt Disney World

dxwwf3

wannab@dis said:
The show I would least want to see changed would be FotLK.

Now that Tarzan Rocks is gone, this is probably my least favorite of the major shows at WDW.

We can't get anything straight :lol:

speck76

wannab@dis said:
As for the shows in all parks, they are great and I love to catch them. I would, however, like to see them updated more often. The show I would least want to see changed would be FotLK. I loved the Lion King show in MK, but Philharmagic is just as good or better.

I agree.....I think the lifespan of a show is not what it is for a ride. They are also quite easy and cheaper to change. I think part of the problem currently is the "lack of available material" The recent shows have been based on classic films (Cinderellabration, Snow White at DL, TLK and HKDL and DLP) as the current films are not "musicals"....and I doubt anyone wants to see a "play". Nemo gives me hope....it is a grand experiment....I think they were smart getting proven people to write the music and design the show....I am looking forward to it, and (if it works) to see how that changes the shows of the future.

wannab@dis said:
I know people have their favorites. I do to. However, my favorites may not line up with the general guests nor should I think my views should take precedence. The continual complaining about Horizons, WoM, AE (sorry), and other replaced attractions is a little narrow minded in my view. Like I said, I understand it, but it seems misinformed at best, and, more than likely, just selfish.

That's why I think the 'armchair imagineers' need to think outside the box. Not outside the design box, but outside their narrow viewpoint. They need to figure out that WDW is about business and it's about entertainment of millions of people... not one.

One of my biggest (and most documented) issue with a former "loud complainer" was not that he was complaining, but that he was only seeing his own side of the story....and that (much like a politician) he was only stating what he wanted people to hear, which made even more people misinformed.

I personally do not like every change WDW makes......I am sure not many people do.....but I do try to see it from the park's POV, the other segments of guest's POV, and not just from my own.

Another issue is that many people seem to be against any attraction that is not built "for them"...I sitll see comments about Pooh's Playful Spot.....yet these comments never seem to be from people with small children....they are always from those without kids, or with grown kids.....the attitude is "how dare they spend money and not think of me first"

wannab@dis

dxwwf3 said:
Yes, sir. I want them to take risks as well, but I don't mind clones either. It all goes back to balance.
Balance is the key and it's sometimes hard to find without a little trial and error. The problem comes about when the 1 error seems to be talked about more than the 4 successes. ;)

Plus, there's one thing left out of Speck's equation and that's to leave things status quo. At what point does it cause more harm to leave an unpopular attraction open and maintained rather than doing the seasonal/empty direction. I don't like to see things seasonal or empty, but I would rather them save the costs with a future blockbuster in mind or spend that money on R&D. That's just one more example of where we DO NOT know what the future plans hold and complaining about a seasonal attraction is narrow minded. They may have been working on the new technology rumored for Monsters Inc for a while and the savings realized by TK seasonal runs pushed it forward quicker. In essance, leaving TK running continually could have caused us to wait longer to see a replacement. Now, I know budgets are usually set up for R&D separate from capital/maintenence, but overall the money is all from one source.

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
I personally do not like every change WDW makes......I am sure not many people do.....but I do try to see it from the park's POV, the other segments of guest's POV, and not just from my own.

I'm trying to get better at that. I'm still young ;)

speck76 said:
Another issue is that many people seem to be against any attraction that is not built "for them"...I sitll see comments about Pooh's Playful Spot.....yet these comments never seem to be from people with small children....they are always from those without kids, or with grown kids.....the attitude is "how dare they spend money and not think of me first"

I'm also trying to get better at this too, but I hope you see how an AE fan, specifically, can have trouble with this one. Try to be understading of the "not built for them" POV, when others couldn't do the same for you (and your favorite attraction). But it's a work in progress.

speck76

dxwwf3 said:
Yes, sir. I want them to take risks as well, but I don't mind clones either. It all goes back to balance.

I don't see what the issue is with clones.....for starters, they are not about to clone a bad attraction.....Rocket Rods is not about to replace the TTA.

Secondly, I don't have the opportunity right now to go to DLP, or TDL/TDS.....I will be visiting DL this fall, but probably not again after that for a long time....so WDW (being 5 minutes away) is my best chance to see the best of what WDI can build.....and if it is a clone of "the most popular ride at TDL", I am even more excited to ride it.

dxwwf3

Hey, I would LOVE to see Rocket Rods replace the TTA :lol: (I've always been obsessed with that attraction ever since I saw videos of it on the internet. It looked like a blast to me).

speck76

wannab@dis said:
Balance is the key and it's sometimes hard to find without a little trial and error. The problem comes about when the 1 error seems to be talked about more than the 4 successes. ;)

Plus, there's one thing left out of Speck's equation and that's to leave things status quo. At what point does it cause more harm to leave an unpopular attraction open and maintained rather than doing the seasonal/empty direction. I don't like to see things seasonal or empty, but I would rather them save the costs with a future blockbuster in mind or spend that money on R&D. That's just one more example of where we DO NOT know what the future plans hold and complaining about a seasonal attraction is narrow minded. They may have been working on the new technology rumored for Monsters Inc for a while and the savings realized by TK seasonal runs pushed it forward quicker. In essance, leaving TK running continually could have caused us to wait longer to see a replacement. Now, I know budgets are usually set up for R&D separate from capital/maintenence, but overall the money is all from one source.

I agree....I don't like to see seasonal attractions, but I understand it. I have been to WoL the last few dates it has been opened....keep in mind these are the busiest days of the year, and the attraction has been empty. If WDW can save a few million in operations by closing an empty building, and spend that on maintenance or research....that works for me.

Capital is its own segment (it has to be by law...as capital improvements increase the value of the park, and therefore its taxes)

wannab@dis

speck76 said:
I agree.....I think the lifespan of a show is not what it is for a ride. They are also quite easy and cheaper to change. I think part of the problem currently is the "lack of available material" The recent shows have been based on classic films (Cinderellabration, Snow White at DL, TLK and HKDL and DLP) as the current films are not "musicals"....and I doubt anyone wants to see a "play". Nemo gives me hope....it is a grand experiment....I think they were smart getting proven people to write the music and design the show....I am looking forward to it, and (if it works) to see how that changes the shows of the future.
I agree Speck. The WDFA department's lack of success has hampered the park's capabilities of creating new shows. That is one thing that the Pixar purchase will hopefully change and Iger pushing for creative output of WDFA will be seen at the box office AND at the parks. I hope that it's more than just empty promises and we'll have to watch to see how it progresses.

By the way, dxfww3... as to one of our recent discussions... the lack of creative ingenuity of WDFA is one of those things that I have complained about publically. ;)

dxwwf3

wannab@dis said:
By the way, dxwwf3... as to one of our recent discussions... the lack of creative ingenuity of WDFA is one of those things that I have complained about publically. ;)

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Let it out!

speck76

dxwwf3 said:
I'm trying to get better at that. I'm still young ;)

I'm also trying to get better at this too, but I hope you see how an AE fan, specifically, can have trouble with this one. Try to be understading of the "not built for them" POV, when others couldn't do the same for you (and your favorite attraction). But it's a work in progress.
My favorite attraction is not going anywhere.....:)

But if they did get rid of it, I would be upset.....but at the same time, I don't always feel the need to go on my favorite attraction.....I would hope the replacement would be better, or another attraction would open soon that was meant for my demographic.

wannab@dis

dxwwf3 said:
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Let it out!
Don't get your hopes up quite yet! :D

While a lot of people complain about sequels, I understand their motives for putting them out. It's a quick and easy way to maximize profits with little costs. If the consumer didn't grab every "whatever 2 1/2" off the shelf, then they wouldn't supply that demand.

However, it shouldn't be done to the detriment of NEW projects and I do believe that has happened.

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
My favorite attraction is not going anywhere.....:)

Don't rub it in :lol:

speck76 said:
But if they did get rid of it, I would be upset.....but at the same time, I don't always feel the need to go on my favorite attraction.....I would hope the replacement would be better, or another attraction would open soon that was meant for my demographic.

And I'm still waiting........................

(I'm talking Magic Kingdom only here ;) )

speck76

wannab@dis said:
Don't get your hopes up quite yet! :D

While a lot of people complain about sequels, I understand their motives for putting them out. It's a quick and easy way to maximize profits with little costs. If the consumer didn't grab every "whatever 2 1/2" off the shelf, then they wouldn't supply that demand.

However, it shouldn't be done to the detriment of NEW projects and I do believe that has happened.
much like people that complain of the pin stores that popped up a few years back.....Disney makes what people want to buy....if everybody suddenly stopped buying sequels and pins, they would be gone tomorrow.

wannab@dis

dxwwf3 said:
Don't rub it in :lol:

And I'm still waiting........................

(I'm talking Magic Kingdom only here ;) )
:lol:

You can't just think in terms of MK. It's the most visited park and the one that least needs a new e-ticket. :)

I don't think ToT is going anywhere soon so I guess I'm safe for a while. Now, I have to wonder if EE will take its place. :lookaroun

dxwwf3

wannab@dis said:
You can't just think in terms of MK. It's the most visited park and the one that least needs a new e-ticket. :)

Yeah I can, that's where the loss was. :)

I never said it had to be an e-ticket, just something for my demographic.

wannab@dis

dxwwf3 said:
I'm just happy to see it once ;)
:lol:

It seems that we're the polar opposites for the parks... yet we live within 15 minutes of each other and 10 hours from the parks. Also, we can debate without anyone getting upset. Scary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom