The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

UNCgolf

Not when the sheep continue throwing money at them. There is literally zero incentive for them to change course when they are raking in money hand over fist.

Edited to add this prime example:

Ok this one is WAY worse. What the hell is wrong with people???

To be fair, that's not really different than most other collections. There have always been people who spend a bunch of money collecting random items of little value; these just happen to be Disney ones.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
To be fair, that's not really different than most other collections. There have always been people who spend a bunch of money collecting random items of little value; these just happen to be Disney ones.

Do those people pay $20-30 a pop for those random items of little value? These two examples are just the tip of the proverbial iceberg that goes well beyond pairs of Mickey ears.

ToTBellHop

Do those people pay $20-30 a pop for those random items of little value? These two examples are just the tip of the proverbial iceberg that goes well beyond pairs of Mickey ears.
I know people with dozens of loungefly backpacks. Some people have lots of expendable money. Seems silly to me but then I waste money to ride Haunted Mansion for the 436th time, so…

Whatever makes you happy.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I know people with dozens of loungefly backpacks. Some people have lots of expendable money. Seems silly to me but then I waste money to ride Haunted Mansion for the 436th time, so…

I've seen a few pictures of collections. 😵 My daughter has one bag, my wife has two. I don't see the need to get any more, but what do I know...

Going to the parks, though, actually provides an experience. But I guess if someone can get that same experience looking at Loungefly bags sitting on a shelf, more power to them. Both, sadly, feed the current monster.

Vegas Disney Fan

I know people with dozens people of loungefly backpacks. Some people have lots of expendable money. Seems silly to me but then I waste money to ride Haunted Mansion for the 436th time, so…

I don’t even know how many Funko Pops I have, over 100 though. I also collect the Harry Potter and Disney Lego sets and have a couple dozen, $50+ for most sets and I have a few that were over $300. Between those 2 collections and all my Disney stuff I’ve spent a small fortune, it was all ”fun money” (after bills and saving) though and it all makes me smile so I see it as money well spent.

UNCgolf

Oh definitely. There are people who pay a lot more than that for Funko Pop figures, as well as stuff like Beanie Babies back in the day. Action figures, comic books, sports cards, logo shot glasses, etc. -- and those are the more normal, mainstream ones. Some people collect really odd stuff. Admittedly some people collect those things because they think they can eventually make money off of them, but that's certainly not why everyone collects them.

It's just not something unique to Disney. I personally don't see the point in any of it, but who am I to judge what makes them happy, you know?

Last edited:

IMDREW

If they’re gonna reuse the existing infrastructure for a completely new show, just PLEASE for the love of god cut that center barge with the sky high stargate. I can live with the bathing tacos, but that off-centered, fabric covered, uninteresting and unsuited ““screen”” has got to go.

Bocabear

The problem with using precise projections and lasers is that everything has to stay in an exact location...Moving the larges nightly would change their location daily and being off a few feet would cause havoc with the show...
I get why they are anchored... They should have figured out a way to have them drop into vaults during the day, then rise at night after dusk... but I know that would have cost more than they were willing to spend sadly...
The show packs a lot of WOW, but I think the pacing and programming tends to make it feel redundant...and off-brand for EPCOT park...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The 50th Anniversary celebration ISN'T OVER!!!

There's more stuff to sell!!!

ToTBellHop

Finally, they are listening to us. I’ve been demanding magical soda bottles since 10/1/21.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

The ship must have finally been unloaded out in LA. And made it through the gangs of thieves. 😉

culturenthrills

I don't see them pivoting, but who knows, I could see another sort of pivot though...

One where they announce that Disney Enchantment and Harmonious are exclusive 50th anniversary shows and will be retired next year. I honestly think the barges won't make it 2024.

What comes next?

Either a new nighttime show or Happily Ever After v2 returns (+Encanto music and recent Disney+ library animation effects). In EPCOT, maybe an updated version of Epcot Forever comes until they can figure out what to do at EPCOT long-term.

It kind of went mostly unnoticed, but the recent update to MDE not showing the daytime fountains was a clear indication that they are throwing in the towel with the barges. I really don't think they will put more money into the show at this point.

Note: If Encanto shows up in Harmonious as some have predicted, I'd say my prediction was incorrect.
Harmonious isn't going anywhere. However, I could see Enchantment leaving and an updated HEA return based on the bad feedback they have been getting from guests on the show.

James Alucobond

Harmonious isn't going anywhere. However, I could see Enchantment leaving and an updated HEA return based on the bad feedback they have been getting from guests on the show.
Happily Ever After returning would be inherently problematic for Harmonious given that they have four major overlapping music selections. Harmonious would at the very least need to be modified somewhat.

KrazyKat

So far, to me, this whole 50th has been pretty blah/zzzzz. I don’t personally care about cupcakes and merch. I was hoping for ride enhancements like Disneyland got for their 60th and Paris has gotten for their 30th(drone show). About the only great thing to come out so far has been Spaceship Earth‘s lighting enhancements. WDW deserves better!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom