The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

LittleMerman

We’ll never know now...but I think people would have been very disappointed “for the 50th”

They just don’t do those long exclusive park promos now. Not in Florida.

Guardians, rat, tron...those were to address them falling behind after near 20 years of abandoning the proven plan to reinvest. So were avatar and abramsland and toy story. A theme park should receive a significant rehab or addition every 3 years on average (meaning on average one a year in Orlando)...the Iger record is not even close. They did well the last 8 years or so...but that was catch up for that and the previous 12.
Yeah, we'll never know, but it's safe to say that it was probably more than what we're getting. My comments about the new rides was to say that the 50th celebration might be small and disappointing but at least we do have additional attractions coming. They could have cancelled a lot more than they did because of Covid. It gives us something to look forward to which helps.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
If there are physical lights going into the outer shell of SSE, I don’t imagine it would require any sort of significant closure. The outer layer we see is actually a few feet outside the structure of the sphere itself, and there are catwalks along various points that allow maintenance teams to walk along between the layers. That would allow this to be installed without any major disruption to SSE Operations.

shut up and take my money. I want this tour/view :p

Chi84

Premium Member
Lol I’m not sure why somebody saying they don’t like masks triggers people so much. It’s ok to scroll past my comment without saying how much you love masks.

The point is the current policies undoubtedly take away from a lot of the magic of the parks and will take away from the “magic” of such a big celebration so I would assume everyone would want them gone as soon as possible.
Cue gratuitous scolding 🤣

donsullivan

Premium Member
shut up and take my money. I want this tour/view :p
Do a YouTube search for “backstage tour of Spaceship Earth” and you’ll find a video of a CM walking tour of major portions of the structure including a brief look at this outer layer gap area and many of the show scenes. I have no clue whether they still do this as the one I’ve watched was from the late 90’s.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It hadn't occured to me till you said that that they also changed the flood lighting from the traditional orange hint to a more night sky purple to match the rest of the icons. Really smart and subtle.
I've always hated orange floodlights. They just look awful to me. So, happy for the new color scheme.

Also glad they didn't try to make the leaves of the Tree of Life iridescent pink, purple, and blue pastels.

trainplane3

SSE is not a prefect sphere. That’s the widest part. Other parts have only inches of room between the panels and the membrane.

Let me know if they mention “polishing” and “fortifying the park” and “celebrating the site”. Those were the interesting proposals.
Aren't the panels on SSE needed to be replaced? I thought the panels lost their protective coating a while ago which would explain the griminess of them lately.

The new SSE lighting looks really great at least.

jrhwdw

Mickey is on box float today
Indeed he is. Looks kike the same box he was on days after the Super Bowl.

Saw it on this YT Stream today:

Also, the Stage set pieces are all gone! Saw it about a hour back in the Stream. Should be interesting if we get something different or if the same ones come back untouched or with 50th decor....

Are we using MK's 50th Thread anymore???? That's where the other Stage Updates were.....
Does anyone think that the pattern on the bodice of Minnie's dress looks like fireworks? Or is that just me hoping / reaching? 😀
Nope you're not crazy! The outfits do have the Castle and Fireworks!

I'm glad I saw that! At least they're not afraid to say 50th and Fireworks in the same conservation! Rollseyes!

The Rocketeer

4. I would rather see the Chinese Theatre light up in Instagram Purple Wall than Tower. It just really feels incongruent with the derelict, several-people-turned-into-ghosts-here theme of the attraction.

I’m curious how the gold on the castle will look compared to the happiest celebration on earth overlay. I just hope that they do at least something to Chinese Theatre.

Well I guess this confirms that the Tower is the Icon for DHS.
Obviously they have the projection systems in place for the Chinese Theatre and could easily project something special onto it or add subtle golden decoration and have the side banners return. I find the lack of marquees on either side strange, I assume its for projections. If added, they could be changed out frequently similar to the sign to Walt Disney Presents and easily provide for Star Wars references.

I don't understand the hesitancy to use the theatre for an icon. A stylized version of it in MDE will not take away any business from the actual Grauman's/Mann's/TCL theatre in Hollywood. The three Disney studio style parks always have had weird places for icons or had identity crises, but using Tower of Terror feels especially odd to me. It's not only NOT on the main entrance path, it is in a different land than the one you enter and you have to take a sharp right almost in same direction you came to view it the way it was intended. I'm not opposed to projections on ToT, like another poster said in this thread it could be used very well to enhance the theme of the attraction. Something needs to be done about the icon problem, but they're content with Tower for now and you can't get rid of the Chinese Theatre now for the foreseeable future with the theming in MMRR queue. I love Hollywood Boulevard as it is, though a refresh with a big hub overhaul with trees and an actual trolley route could be great if done right and could give them an opportunity to continue to tone down (or at least hide) the soundstage look which isn't present anywhere anymore but the hub and animation courtyard, which should go too. It kinda feels like the park's overhaul just stopped 3/4 of a way through. There's a lot I would do to enhance MGM, but I digress.

wbostic12

In the Parks
No
Obviously they have the projection systems in place for the Chinese Theatre and could easily project something special onto it or add subtle golden decoration and have the side banners return. I find the lack of marquees on either side strange, I assume its for projections. If added, they could be changed out frequently similar to the sign to Walt Disney Presents and easily provide for Star Wars references.
I don't understand the hesitancy to use the theatre for an icon. A stylized version of it in MDE will not take away any business from the actual Grauman's/Mann's/TCL theatre in Hollywood. The three Disney studio style parks always have had weird places for icons or had identity crises, but using Tower of Terror feels especially odd to me. It's not only NOT on the main entrance path, it is in a different land than the one you enter and you have to take a sharp right almost in same direction you came to view it the way it was intended. I'm not opposed to projections on ToT, like another poster said in this thread it could be used very well to enhance the theme of the attraction. Something needs to be done about the icon problem, but they're content with Tower for now and you can't get rid of the Chinese Theatre now for the foreseeable future with the theming in MMRR queue. I love Hollywood Boulevard as it is, though a refresh with a big hub overhaul with trees and an actual trolley route could be great if done right and could give them an opportunity to continue to tone down (or at least hide) the soundstage look which isn't present anywhere anymore but the hub and animation courtyard, which should go too. It kinda feels like the park's overhaul just stopped 3/4 of a way through. There's a lot I would do to enhance MGM, but I digress.
Absolutely! There is so much potential for the classic areas of DHS. A Buena Vista Street style trolley down Hollywood and Sunset would be fantastic. And for the theatre, they already have the infrastructure for the mapping, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

The Rocketeer

Castle looks better with the decorations. I like it, but the concept art will probably prove to be different than the end product. I love what they're doing to SSE and I like the continuation of the Tree of Life show. We got about what I expected, hopefully more news comes later and, let's hope and pray, a nighttime parade. At this point I'd take one that's a limited run. SpectroMagic 2.0... just do it, Bob.

wbostic12

In the Parks
No
Castle looks better with the decorations. I like it, but the concept art will probably prove to be different than the end product. I love what they're doing to SSE and I like the continuation of the Tree of Life show. We got about what I expected, hopefully more news comes later and, let's hope and pray, a nighttime parade. At this point I'd take one that's a limited run. SpectroMagic 2.0, just do it, Bob.
That’s for the 60th anniversary, I guess.

wbostic12

In the Parks
No
Does anyone have any idea when 50th Merch will come out? I feel like it would be before 10/1/21, but the celebration is 18 months so I could see them waiting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom