The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

jrhwdw

I can absolutely believe that satisfaction ratings are higher than before covid. The people willing to go to a themepark during a pandemic are vastly different from the people going during normal times.

It could also be a complete fabrication, but I don't think it is an immedietly disqualifying factor.
How many People do you think are holding out because of Health, no FOF/HEA, etc? I will admit that I'm in the health factor, but will have my 2nd shot on April 7th. Health issues aside, the thing I can't put my foot on is do I go anyway or do I wait till WDW gets back to March 14th 2020 or better?? I will say that last night(on here)didn't look apealing for a trip......

WhatTheDisney94

California has just as hot weather if not hotter...Disney used fabric for their decor!!!! IF it were MY company I would treat every park the same with the same decor and love for attention!
It's not heat. Southern California does not have the intense 100% humidity that Florida does. Nor does it have the constant daily guarantee of thunderstorms and rain during 6-8 months of the year. Nor does it have a hurricane season.

Brer Oswald

I can absolutely believe that satisfaction ratings are higher than before covid. The people willing to go to a themepark during a pandemic are vastly different from the people going during normal times.

It could also be a complete fabrication, but I don't think it is an immedietly disqualifying factor.
I think it’s more bending the truth. One of their best ways to measure guest satisfaction is attendance over the course of a period of time. They’re likely filling up every day because there is a greater attendance cap than pre COVID.

You also have to factor in types of guests visiting now. I’d imagine very few first timers are going. These are the ones most likely to be upset by the complicated and non-user friendly aspects of the parks as of late. Rather, most of the guests have likely adjusted to how WDW “works” in the modern age. Add “alleged” shorter lines, and the comment makes more sense.

Not exactly a good metric to judge how they handle things when tourists are supposed to come back. But you know very well how much they twist information and data to fit their needs.

UNCgolf

It's this plus the fact most of the people there are likely very happy to just be on vacation at all/doing something other than being at home the vast majority of the time.

It makes sense to me that guest satisfaction would be higher right now. That has absolutely no bearing on what the guest satisfaction scores would be (even from the exact same guests) if COVID was no longer an issue and they had many other options for vacation/recreation.

M:SpilotISTC12

After reading this, someone needs to give Chapek a drug test.
For argument's sake let's say it is true. This statement alone has given Disney all the reason they need to start cutting.

No fireworks? Guests are happier without them. Boom, gone.
Big fancy parades that only run twice a day for small rinky cavalcades. Guests are happier without them. Boom, gone.
Parks closing at 7 pm and no need to pay staff for longer days. Guests are happier without them. Boom, gone.
Some of the less popular attractions closed due to staff budget cuts. Guests are happier without them. Boom, gone.
Big broadway style theatre shows that require show techs and highly talented actors. Guests are happier without them. Boom, gone.

You guys seeing a trend here? If we are actually happier with less, what is to stop them from making all of these cuts and further devaluing the price of admission which is only going to go up again soon anyway? Pandora's box of Cheap-ek has been opened. Strap in because people are still going to go. If they are willing to risk their lives for half the experience like they are right now then they are for sure going to go when things go back to "normal" and still be satisfied with half the experience.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is it so hard to believe that guests like a park not packed to the gills? It's why I pay extra for the after hours events.

For all that people have groused about intricate spreadsheets to plan a WDW vacation, is it so hard to believe that a manageable crowd without FP and other scheduling issues (other than park reservations) is more pleasing to guests?

Iger and Chapek have mentioned that situation over the years to shareholders who were asking about increasing yield through volume. The Bobs have said that at some point guest satisfaction goes down when parks are packed. That hurts the brand. And the brand is what brings in premium prices.

All the carrots and sticks of prices increases in traditional peak times and discounts in off peak times was to move people from peak to trough to even out attendance.

What people should be focused on is Chapek's musings that the pandemic shut-down and new protocols is giving them a chance to re-set how ticketing is done. Perhaps FP to Maxpass. Perhaps reservations system never going away. Perhaps new limitations on APs.

Also, it helps that people willing to go to WDW during a world wide pandemic and endure the COVID protocols to do so must be hard core fans.

ToTBellHop

There’s room for nuance here. Guest satisfaction can be up due to lower crowds and wait times while guests also say, “but I can’t wait for daytime and nighttime entertainment to return.”

And guests are saying that. That is why, despite nonsense here, they are bringing FotLK (their top-rated show) back and actively spending many millions on a new fireworks spectacular at Epcot that most guests will love. Suggesting they are trying to get rid of fireworks indefinitely is laughable as they erect a giant stargate. C’mon. They could have EASILY canceled this project last March and chose not to.

There are two factors at play over fireworks: optics as the pandemic continues (Universal gets to ignore this issue since they aren‘t watched so publicly) and cost savings for the company.

Lets hope Black Widow can open in theaters. I’m fully-vaccinated Tuesday and would love to see a movie.

Brer Oswald

Is it so hard to believe that guests like a park not packed to the gills? It's why I pay extra for the after hours events.

For all that people have groused about intricate spreadsheets to plan a WDW vacation, is it so hard to believe that a manageable crowd without FP and other scheduling issues (other than park reservations) is more pleasing to guests?

Iger and Chapek have mentioned that situation over the years to shareholders who were asking about increasing yield through volume. The Bobs have said that at some point guest satisfaction goes down when parks are packed. That hurts the brand. And the brand is what brings in premium prices.

All the carrots and sticks of prices increases in traditional peak times and discounts in off peak times was to move people from peak to trough to even out attendance.

What people should be focused on is Chapek's musings that the pandemic shut-down and new protocols is giving them a chance to re-set how ticketing is done. Perhaps FP to Maxpass. Perhaps reservations system never going away. Perhaps new limitations on APs.

Also, it helps that people willing to go to WDW during a world wide pandemic and endure the COVID protocols to do so must be hard core fans.
It’s not hard to believe. The “why” isn’t the problem. It’s how they’re going to use it when they’re at 100% capacity. This is a company that has decades of experience twisting feedback and statistics to justify their decisions (yes, before even Iger). The concerns about entertainment, park hours, and overall maintenance/budget spending are all valid. Nothing short of losing significant attendance to Universal will cause them to reverse course from whatever they’ve “calculated and analyzed” from this data.

M:SpilotISTC12

It’s not hard to believe. The “why” isn’t the problem. It’s how they’re going to use it when they’re at 100% capacity. This is a company that has decades of experience twisting feedback and statistics to justify their decisions (yes, before even Iger). The concerns about entertainment, park hours, and overall maintenance/budget spending are all valid. Nothing short of losing significant attendance to Universal will cause them to reverse course from whatever they’ve “calculated and analyzed” from this data.
Bingo! That's the point I was trying to make just a little more sensationalized.

jrhwdw

There’s room for nuance here. Guest satisfaction can be up due to lower crowds and wait times while guests also say, “but I can’t wait for daytime and nighttime entertainment to return.”

And guests are saying that. That is why, despite nonsense here, they are bringing FotLK (their top-rated show) back and actively spending many millions on a new fireworks spectacular at Epcot that most guests will love. Suggesting they are trying to get rid of fireworks indefinitely is laughable as they erect a giant stargate. C’mon. They could have EASILY canceled this project last March and chose not to.

There are two factors at play over fireworks: optics as the pandemic continues (Universal gets to ignore this issue since they aren‘t watched so publicly) and cost savings for the company.

Lets hope Black Widow can open in theaters. I’m fully-vaccinated Tuesday and would love to see a movie.
Thank you for this!! We need common sense right now! I am looking forward to Harm. no matter what this site says!!!!!! As far as Harm getting canceled March 2020, we all thought/prayed it would only be 2 weeks(I knew better with my luck last March.....SIGH!)Hardly a reason to cann ROE's successor if the "only 2 weeks:" turned out to be true. Now, I do wonder if Harm. was being second guessed right before WDW repopened in July 2020? That would be after 3-4-5 months of Resort closure.... It's a moot point now since we have a Stargate in WSL.

I am concern in the sense that How much longer do we have to live with the park closing super early/no Night Headliners. Yes, FOTLK returns this summer and that's fantastic news! But we haven't heard any other offerings. Unless the News Flood Gates opens(in a good way) when FOTLK returns? The optics should be a little better every day correct? I'm sure WDW has Guidelines and an ideal date.....Please don't make us wait till Oct 1(except Harm since it's new) or later if Martin's right! Esp if the right optics are there well before!

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Thank you for this!! We need common sense right now! I am looking forward to Harm. no matter what this site says!!!!!! As far as Harm getting canceled March 2020, we all thought/prayed it would only be 2 weeks(I knew better with my luck last March.....SIGH!)Hardly a reason to cann ROE's successor if the "only 2 weeks:" turned out to be true.

I am concern in the sense that How much longer do we have to live with the park closing super early/no Night Headliners. Yes, FOTLK returns this summer and that's fantastic news! But we haven't heard any other offerings. Unless the News Flood Gates opens(in a good way) when FOTLK returns? The optics should be a little better every day correct? I'm sure WDW has Guidelines and an ideal date.....Please don't make us wait till Oct 1(except Harm since it's new) or later if Martin's right! Esp if the right optics are there well before!
Of course. We are all tired of this. But people need to be realistic—1500 Americans died of COVID yesterday. Is this a good time to talk about fireworks? We aren’t out of the woods yet, but we can see a clearing in the distance.

jrhwdw

Of course. We are all tired of this. But people need to be realistic—1500 Americans died of COVID yesterday. Is this a good time to talk about fireworks? We aren’t out of the woods yet, but we can see a clearing in the distance.
No, you're right, Sorry.

However I do hope some clearings are closer than others..... And I don't mean Theme Parks..

drew81

For argument's sake let's say it is true. This statement alone has given Disney all the reason they need to start cutting.

No fireworks? Guests are happier without them. Boom, gone.
Big fancy parades that only run twice a day for small rinky **** cavalcades. Guests are happier without them. Boom, gone.
Parks closing at 7 pm and no need to pay staff for longer days. Guests are happier without them. Boom, gone.
Some of the less popular attractions closed due to staff budget cuts. Guests are happier without them. Boom, gone.
Big broadway style theatre shows that require show techs and highly talented actors. Guests are happier without them. Boom, gone.

You guys seeing a trend here? If we are actually happier with less, what is to stop them from making all of these cuts and further devaluing the price of admission which is only going to go up again soon anyway? Pandora's box of Cheap-ek has been opened. Strap in because people are still going to go. If they are willing to risk their lives for half the experience like they are right now then they are for sure going to go when things go back to "normal" and still be satisfied with half the experience.
I agree wholeheartedly.

ToTBellHop

No, you're right, Sorry.

However I do hope some clearings are closer than others..... And I don't mean Theme Parks..
I did not mean to say WE can’t talk about fireworks. Of course, we can. I meant that we can’t really expect commitments from Disney yet. And, unfortunately, there’s not much time left to make a decision in time for October.

TTA94

I did not mean to say WE can’t talk about fireworks. Of course, we can. I meant that we can’t really expect commitments from Disney yet. And, unfortunately, there’s not much time left to make a decision in time for October.

Could they make a decision by June? Or will that be to late? By then they should have the numbers in from Spring Break and vaccines might be open to the majority by then, maybe.

If they were not planning on having Harm debut by October, would they really be actively working on it daily? Then again I guess there’s more to it than getting it “show ready”. It’s getting it daytime fountain ready lol.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Taken earlier today at Epcot, a little before 5pm (HT to @ParentsOf4 for the photo spot):

95C0D5C9-2CF3-4B49-A0E8-0F4F61518B94.jpeg

This past week has been pretty crowded at all the parks, with lengthy waits for rides. Social distancing is non-existent while walking. Many people crowd you in the queues. Only a very small number of CM’s were enforcing mask wearing or distancing, in stark contrast to late last year or even earlier this year. Guests who took their masks off on rides (with photographic proof), in violation of the STATED policy that failure to wear a mask correctly would result in a guest being asked to leave, simply walked away, no consequences.

Yes, it’s spring break week for area schools, so we knew it was going to be busy. But I have zero desire to repeat this experience unless there are more shows and more things open (food, specifically) and much better enforcement by Disney.

SoFloMagic

Taken earlier today at Epcot, a little before 5pm (HT to @ParentsOf4 for the photo spot):

View attachment 541370

This past week has been pretty crowded at all the parks, with lengthy waits for rides. Social distancing is non-existent while walking. Many people crowd you in the queues. Only a very small number of CM’s were enforcing mask wearing or distancing, in stark contrast to late last year or even earlier this year. Guests who took their masks off on rides (with photographic proof), in violation of the STATED policy that failure to wear a mask correctly would result in a guest being asked to leave, simply walked away, no consequences.

Yes, it’s spring break week for area schools, so we knew it was going to be busy. But I have zero desire to repeat this experience unless there are more shows and more things open (food, specifically) and much better enforcement by Disney.
Yeah, Disney has somewhat given up on enforcement. There was so much hype about the mask squad, but I think that was a pretty easy spend to cut. It's a shame

castlecake2.0

Agreed. The reservation system is almost certainly never going away. And as you said, the Bobs have said before that theres a sweet spot that they want of less guests with higher average spend per guest per day. What you might lose in less ticket sales will more likely be made up with the happy guests willing to spend more.

saying that, I think they’ll really need to increase recreation offerings at the resort hotels for gusts that might not be able to get a reservation for days of their trip, they could look to DCL for some ideas ie beverage seminars, site tours etc, to round out the resort experience

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom