The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I’ll have to check out DLP’s 30th merchandise.

I went to WDW this May hoping to come back with something, but I saw nothing worth buying, unfortunately. The stuff they’ve created for Disney 100 looks lackluster, too. I guess I can save some money, so that’s a good thing lol.

Park merchandise in the states has been, IMHO, severely lacking since DL's 50th.

The stuff from DLP's 30th, from what I've seen online, looked great.

It's truly amazing how the same company can put out horrid merchandise in the US but nail it overseas.

prberk

That stuff is ugly. Disney hasn’t created excellent anniversary merch in a while.

A send-off to quite a lackluster “celebration.”
The saddest part is that they created better 50th anniversary collectibles for Amazon than they did to sell in their own parks. showed WDW 50th anniversary commemorative Country Bear plus and other items that were exclusive to Amazon. You can’t even get them in the parks. Makes no sense.
Also made no sense that Disneyland had WDW 50th merchandise when I was there this summer.

prberk

Actually, the only reason it existed was to just push merchandise.

Sad but true….it was so painfully obvious, exspecially on the actual anniversary day.

Anyone else who was there that day at MK will know what I’m talking about.
Just depressing.

😑

-
Yep. I almost planned to be there. Thought it would have been like the 25th (which had a special parade and televised program with dignitaries including the First Lady in front of the castle).
They forgot how to do that, I think. Just put a logo on cheap merchandise and charge a fortune.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They have GOT to stop with this unisex clothing. "Woven shirt for adults" that's too small for men's sizing, too large for women's sizing, too curvy for men's bodies, and not curvy enough for women's bodies. I get that they're trying to be inclusive or whatever but making clothes that look bad on everybody is not the way to go about it.

$lappie saw it as a cheaper option. Why have 2 different shirts when you can have one?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
They have GOT to stop with this unisex clothing. "Woven shirt for adults" that's too small for men's sizing, too large for women's sizing, too curvy for men's bodies, and not curvy enough for women's bodies. I get that they're trying to be inclusive or whatever but making clothes that look bad on everybody is not the way to go about it.
I agree. Merch has really plummeted over the years.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yep. I almost planned to be there. Thought it would have been like the 25th (which had a special parade and televised program with dignitaries including the First Lady in front of the castle).
They forgot how to do that, I think. Just put a logo on cheap merchandise and charge a fortune.

This!

Somehow, some way, Disney forgot how to do big and bold things and instead of thinking big, they think of the bare minimum to get by. I think it started around ... 2006. 🤔 (Not that it wasn't slipping before then. It just went pedal-to-the-metal around that time)

gerarar

Premium Member
Disneyland Paris had some stunning pieces for its 30th Anniverary this year. I only wish they'd had more.

I spent more money on merch in 2 days at Disneyland Paris this spring than I did in a week at WDW for the 50th launch last October. And I had saved up for WDW's 50th, recalling all the fabulous pieces I missed out on from Disneyland's 50th in 2005. What a letdown.
You were lucky! When I went to DLP this past July, there were barely any apparel for guys. I really wanted to get a shirt that said DLP or something, even if it was anniversary themed, but nada. I searched every store on Main Street and asked a couple CM's and they said they were gone for a while.

All I got to walk away with was a 30th anniversary tote bag, a Mickey shaped soap dispenser, and a magnet. Even World of Disney barely had anything for men. Women's were abundant however.

I'm still bummed about it because it kinda was a once in a lifetime trip there (and France as a whole), but who knows what the future may bring me lol.

I do agree about the decorations/sets at DLP. They were absolutely gorgeous, and that castle!
20220714_103101.jpg

yensidtlaw1969

You were lucky! When I went to DLP this past July, there were barely any apparel for guys. I really wanted to get a shirt that said DLP or something, even if it was anniversary themed, but nada. I searched every store on Main Street and asked a couple CM's and they said they were gone for a while.

All I got to walk away with was a 30th anniversary tote bag, a Mickey shaped soap dispenser, and a magnet. Even World of Disney barely had anything for men. Women's were abundant however.

I'm still bummed about it because it kinda was a once in a lifetime trip there (and France as a whole), but who knows what the future may bring me lol.

I do agree about the decorations/sets at DLP. They were absolutely gorgeous, and that castle!
View attachment 686812
I was VERY lucky - my trip coincided with the release of the limited edition Phantom Manor figurine by Kevin and Jody and I was able to nab one to bring home with me:
Screenshot 2022-12-21 at 1.35.51 PM.png

About a month ago I was able to wrangle one of the recently released K&J Dragon's Lair figurines from Ebay:

Screenshot 2022-12-21 at 1.39.44 PM.png

Now I've got to scrounge up some change to add their matching DLP Castle figure to go with them: 😅

1671648121272.png

To their credit, WDW did also have a similar piece that came out I think this past summer - seems like the lesson here is to let Kevin and Jody run wild. I would have killed to see some 20,000 Leagues and Mr. Toad figurines from them. Though I'm sure my wallet would have wept.

1671648235361.png

JohnD

Everything is Spirit jersey this or Spirit jersey that. Enough already.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
$lappie saw it as a cheaper option. Why have 2 different shirts when you can have one?
Yeah but a lot of them are very clearly either a men's shirt or a women's shirt.

1671649142167.png

That's a men's shirt. Sizing it as a "shirt for adults" is just going to lead to disappointed men who wear an XL, ALWAYS wear an XL, and yet this shirt in XL is too small because it's not a men's XL. They're not going to sell any to women.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yeah but a lot of them are very clearly either a men's shirt or a women's shirt.

View attachment 686822

That's a men's shirt. Sizing it as a "shirt for adults" is just going to lead to disappointed men who wear an XL, ALWAYS wear an XL, and yet this shirt in XL is too small because it's not a men's XL. They're not going to sell any to women.

Good grief. That's bad. Really bad. :banghead:

It's utterly amazing to me that this company seems to have completely lost its way. #ThanksBeToBob

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Park merchandise in the states has been, IMHO, severely lacking since DL's 50th.

The stuff from DLP's 30th, from what I've seen online, looked great.

It's truly amazing how the same company can put out horrid merchandise in the US but nail it overseas.
I had to think about it for a minute. With the exception of a Club 33 keychain I bought in October (I actually really like it, it’s very sturdy and durable), I actually can’t remember the last time I bought anything at the parks. Any time I want new Disney clothes or merchandise in general, I will look for hand-me-downs from folks on eBay, Facebook, or Etsy. Sad.

Drdcm

While in general I agree, I got a 50th anniversary citizen watch and an orange bird button down shirt last year that have been my favorite Disney merch to date.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

ToTBellHop

Yeah, it’s awful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom