The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

EPCOT-O.G.

mightynine

That stuff is ugly. Disney hasn’t created excellent anniversary merch in a while.

A send-off to quite a lackluster “celebration.”
There definitely missed a trick by not just re-releasing some of the previous anniversary merch, rather than the occasional "remixes". I would've happily jumped at a 15 Years ringer t-shirt, for example.

In fact, I did grab one of those engravable ID tags last time I was there because it had a pattern of previous anniversary logos that I thought was quite nice.

mattpeto

For anybody who cares, exactly 100 days until this thing over.

I truly want to give Disney a little bit of a pass of the 50th miscues due to Covid. The decorations/paint on the castle look good to me, but taste is subjective. The statues were a nice touch (even with some wonky character selections). The merch or lack of it, blame supply chain. The food was colorful, but I don't know what people expected there.

Obviously the Beacons was a neat idea, but the ones on Spaceship Earth became the crown jewel of it all.

I wonder if we would have gotten an 50th parade (or even a nighttime version). I often speculate that the "the Magic is Calling" song that ended up in the 50th cavalcade (and the float itself) may have had "bigger" plans for an original parade.

But the direction of Enchantment is the microcosm of what the decisions makers thought would work. Having a 50th exclusive fireworks show was a great idea, but the direction of the show had nothing to do with nostalgia. It was just a poor HEA update.

dreday3

I truly want to give Disney a little bit of a pass of the 50th miscues due to Covid. The decorations/paint on the castle look good to me, but taste is subjective. The statues were a nice touch (even with some wonky character selections). The merch or lack of it, blame supply chain. The food was colorful, but I don't know what people expected there.

Obviously the Beacons was a neat idea, but the ones on Spaceship Earth became the crown jewel of it all.

I wonder if we would have gotten an 50th parade (or even a nighttime version). I often speculate that the "the Magic is Calling" song that ended up in the 50th cavalcade (and the float itself) may have had "bigger" plans for an original parade.

But the direction of Enchantment is the microcosm of what the decisions makers thought would work. Having a 50th exclusive fireworks show was a great idea, but the direction of the show had nothing to do with nostalgia. It was just a poor HEA update.

I think the song Magic is Calling is one of the best, if not the best for me, things to come out of the 50th. We love it and I hope it stays for a while longer.

yensidtlaw1969

That stuff is ugly. Disney hasn’t created excellent anniversary merch in a while.

A send-off to quite a lackluster “celebration.”
Disneyland Paris had some stunning pieces for its 30th Anniverary this year. I only wish they'd had more.

I spent more money on merch in 2 days at Disneyland Paris this spring than I did in a week at WDW for the 50th launch last October. And I had saved up for WDW's 50th, recalling all the fabulous pieces I missed out on from Disneyland's 50th in 2005. What a letdown.

The highlight of my 2020 was finally getting my hands on that DL50 Hatbox Ghost Big Fig I'd been chasing down for 15 years. There's nothing from WDW's 50th I'll be scouring Ebay for.

Californian Elitist

Disneyland Paris had some stunning pieces for its 30th Anniverary this year. I only wish they'd had more.

I spent more money on merch in 2 days at Disneyland Paris this spring than I did in a week at WDW for the 50th launch last October. And I had saved up for WDW's 50th, recalling all the fabulous pieces I missed out on from Disneyland's 50th in 2005. What a letdown.

The highlight of my 2020 was finally getting my hands on that DL50 Hatbox Ghost Big Fig I'd been chasing down for 15 years. There's nothing from WDW's 50th I'll be scouring Ebay for.
I’ll have to check out DLP’s 30th merchandise.

I went to WDW this May hoping to come back with something, but I saw nothing worth buying, unfortunately. The stuff they’ve created for Disney 100 looks lackluster, too. I guess I can save some money, so that’s a good thing lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom