The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Seems like Disney stole a 3D model of the tiki drummer from an artist for their 50th anniversary limited edition figurines.

The artist goes into detail in the following video and explains how another freelancer contracted by Disney may have simply stole his work and passed it off as their own:

The tiktok has been making rounds, gathering about 3m views already; regardless a bad look for the Mouse..

Whose work?

There's a reason this guy didn't sell "his work" nor claim copyright, nor is seeking to sue Disney...

1645511162990.png

1645511286467.png

That being said... it's the 3D model work that is 'stolen' by Disney. The guy gave it up to public domain on wiki commons. Which theoretically means Disney can't use it for commercial purposes, but, it is Disney's IP to begin with. And the guy was technically breaking Disney's copyright of the IP by reproducing it in a 3D model.

TikibirdLand

Whose work?

There's a reason this guy didn't sell "his work" nor claim copyright, nor is seeking to sue Disney...

View attachment 623126

View attachment 623127

That being said... it's the 3D model work that is 'stolen' by Disney. The guy gave it up to public domain on wiki commons. Which theoretically means Disney can't use it for commercial purposes, but, it is Disney's IP to begin with. And the guy was technically breaking Disney's copyright of the IP by reproducing it in a 3D model.
Might be an interesting discussion with Rolly Crump on who actually designed this. He's given credit for it. But, I believe he also worked closely with LeRoy Schmaltz and Bob Van Oosting over at Oceanic Arts. Now that they're all retired and Oceanic Arts has closed, maybe some of those stories can be told. That being said, it's obvious a Disney contractor grabbed the guy's 3d models and passed them off without giving credit. Pretty sad. I can't blame Disney for not searching the interwebs for this since it wouldn't have popped up easily. I do love that the author shared the models. Now, I've got to convince my DW that I NEED a 3D printer!

denyuntilcaught

Looks like MCO is removing the 50th Decor. Anyone know why? Seems really early for me.....
My guess was that its either:
  1. Budgets. The wall placement probably cost a pretty penny given its visibility and the costs to extend the media beyond the allocated time exceeded the budget.
  2. Another brand booked the space for the forward time period, and whoever was in charge of media buying or partnerships swooped in too late to book the spot for the full duration of the promotion.

Sir_Cliff

I rest my case.

I was just coming in here to post this!

Amazing how the opening celebration for an AP party at DLP is more impressive than anything WDW could manage for the resort's 50th anniversary! Through the evening, they also had fun nostalgic features like projecting the decorations from past anniversaries onto the castle and replaying pre-announcements and the dedication by Eisner as the castle's construction was being projected.

Blows my mind that WDW did nothing like that for the half-century of what is supposedly their flagship resort and speaks to how poor management of the resort if not the parks in the US more generally is at the moment.

Here's a short clip of the projection show they did of the pre-opening announcements before the live show in front of the castle:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom