The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

hopemax

When did all of this craziness for merchandise begin because I seem to remember it not always being this way? Or maybe I am just misremembering?
Among a certain group it’s always been like this. We waited in a 7 hour merchandise line for Disneyland’s 50th. We waited several hours for Epcot’s 30th.

What has changed is the volume of Ebay and Facebook sellers. On another group, someone ran into a couple of guys who were “buyers” for a collectibles store located in Europe. They said they were shopping 17 hrs a day, and had spent $200,000 so far. Getting anywhere between 25-200 copies of items. So there are far more examples of people whose livelihood depends on reselling Disney merchandise, and when you need inventory, you do what you need to. When in the past resellers were just doing things on the side.

JohnD

Random AK observations:

1. Celebration of FOTLK is still a good show. I can understand the edits for the pandemic. Looking forward to the return of the full show.

2. Kite Tails is a fun and quirky show. I saw it while having lunch at a Flame Tree pavilion. Don’t expect high production value. It’s just guys on jet skis pulling funny kites across the water to catchy music. It’s a good thing to do on a break. I don’t expect it to last a long time so catch while you can.

3. For those who say this is a half day park, it’s now 2pm and the last attraction I did was KS around 9:30. Since then, I’ve walked Gorilla Falls Expedition Trail, visited Rafikis Planet Watch, saw Flights of Wonder, saw Celebration of FOLTK, had lunch at Flame Tree and have now started Maharaja Jungle Trek. I’ll finally do another attraction afterward — either Kali or Everest.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
I just felt like pointing out to anyone still on this thread that during Iger's speech during this celebration he said something along the lines of "Walt passed away before he could see Disney World come to fruition, but his brother Roy made sure to fulfill his dream for Walt Disney World."

So we're just flat out lying to the guests now?
How is that lying?

mikejs78

Premium Member
Right, but the plans always had the resort with MK. Roy saw to it that WDW got developed (which was unclear would happen after Walt died), which it did. Epcot was punted on, and the decision to take Epcot in the direction it ultimately did happened after Roy's death.

Roy effectively brought phase 1 of Walt's vision to fruition, even if what came later wasn't exactly what Walt envisioned.

ToTBellHop

Right, but the plans always had the resort with MK. Roy saw to it that WDW got developed (which was unclear would happen after Walt died), which it did. Epcot was punted on, and the decision to take Epcot in the direction it ultimately did happened after Roy's death.

Roy effectively brought phase 1 of Walt's vision to fruition, even if what came later wasn't exactly what Walt envisioned.
They were unable to bring Walt’s dreams to life until The Zach joined WDW. He as a directly line to Walt. Went to grad school with Leota.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I had to read it several times before I figured out his point: “fulfilled Walt’s dream.”

I mean that's getting kind of pedantic, don't you think?

"After Walt's death in 1966, my dad spend the next five years - as it turned out, the last five years of his life, devoting himself to the realization of his little brother Walt's greatest dream." -- Roy E. Disney, 25th Anniversary Ceremony, October 1, 1996

I guess Roy Disney was "flat-out lying" too...

mikejs78

Premium Member
Uhhh…?
Walt died believing Progress City would be built, he had no intention of building Disney World the way it turned out.

in Roy’s defense he did try to convince the board but they didn’t see it as a smart decision financially
So Roy E was lying too? I just look at it as part of the mythology of WDW as it has *always* been billed as the fulfillment of Walt's dream, from opening day. This isn't new to Iger.

It's also fairly harmless unless you want to advance the narrative "Iger Bad man."

91JLovesDisney

So Roy E was lying too? I just look at it as part of the mythology of WDW as it has *always* been billed as the fulfillment of Walt's dream, from opening day. This isn't new to Iger.
It just feels disrespectful to me, I love WDW, but Progress City was so much more than WDW will ever be, to not even mention it irritates me.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It just feels disrespectful to me, I love WDW, but Progress City was so much more than WDW will ever be, to not even mention it irritates me.
Pretty much every WDW special, documentary, etc. (including those done by Disney) mentions it. It is even included in a particular attraction we all love. It isn't like they hide from the fact that it was never built.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Stuck on Splash before drop into Laughin’ Place. Nuthin! Happn. Could be an evac situation. We’ll see…. You think hearing IASW over and over is bad? Try Laughing Place.
Xpv_mJ27ieF-VyMx70mh_vlW6EC_gavI9rPSJnhPWWA.jpg

If you mean this scene you have my pity. Been stuck here before.

Disstevefan1

Uhhh…?
Walt died believing Progress City would be built, he had no intention of building Disney World the way it turned out.

in Roy’s defense he did try to convince the board but they didn’t see it as a smart decision financially
I do not think anyone was intentionally lying.

Folks were just doing the best they could after Walt died.

I think Walt himself knew he was the only person who could have made Progress City happen, and if he died, it would not happen.

I also think Walt lost true control of his company when TWDC IPOed in 1957.

As we all know, today, it's the shareholder that runs this company and they don't even try to hide it.

Every move they make is to benefit their shareholders.

Folks can argue if that is right or wrong but I am just saying that's the way it is now.

91JLovesDisney

Roy O said the same thing around the opening of WDW - that this was the fulfillment of Walt's dream.. Why criticize Iger for it? It's been repeated for the last 50 years...
Are you really gonna start an argument about this?

to be honest Iger probably doesn’t even know lol

Rich Brownn

Uhhh…?

Progress City could never have been built the way Walt described it. Once people lived there it could no long be experimental, or use prototypes. Very little (read: none) in depth planning had been done when Walt passed away. As one Imagineer said about it "You simply cannot experiment with people's lives." Meaning everything had to be practical, not a prototype. (And I learned quickly not to mention the EPCOT painting to John Hench. Trust me, you do not want to know his reply).

pdude81

Progress City could never have been built the way Walt described it. Once people lived there it could no long be experimental, or use prototypes. Very little (read: none) in depth planning had been done when Walt passed away. As one Imagineer said about it "You simply cannot experiment with people's lives." Meaning everything had to be practical, not a prototype. (And I learned quickly not to mention the EPCOT painting to John Hench. Trust me, you do not want to know his reply).
Imagine Disney having to take people to court to evict them for non-payment in their experimental city. Or that the people who lived there would be able to vote on the members of the planning and zoning boards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom