The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

Casper Gutman

The pandemic has been a massive disruption in travel habits. For a significant number of people, that kind of break presents an opportunity to reevaluate patterns and priorities. It would have been in WDWs best interest to pull out all the stops to get people to resume old Disney-centered travel habits - a really spectacular 50th and a bunch of new rides would have helped here. What they did instead was push heavily in the OPPOSITE direction, with massively inflated prices, unappealing new rules, and confusing and potentially off-putting new crowd-management systems, all right when folks were reevaluating the value and appeal of WDW travel habits.

Disney saw the pandemic as an opportunity to do a bunch of things they’d been planning for a while, and the result may have been deeply counterproductive. They should have waited for at least a year, probably two, for a full return to normalcy.

mikejs78

Premium Member
The pandemic has been a massive disruption in travel habits. For a significant number of people, that kind of break presents an opportunity to reevaluate patterns and priorities. It would have been in WDWs best interest to pull out all the stops to get people to resume old Disney-centered travel habits - a really spectacular 50th and a bunch of new rides would have helped here. What they did instead was push heavily in the OPPOSITE direction, with massively inflated prices, unappealing new rules, and confusing and potentially off-putting new crowd-management systems, all right when folks were reevaluating the value and appeal of WDW travel habits.

Disney saw the pandemic as an opportunity to do a bunch of things they’d been planning for a while, and the result may have been deeply counterproductive. They should have waited for at least a year, probably two, for a full return to normalcy.
I think there's some truth in what you say, although I do think that if they had gone all out for the 50th, added a couple more attractions, plussed A bunch of classic attractions, returned a night parade, had The redo of Epcot complete (regardless of what you think of it), They probably could have slipped in and gotten The changes that they've wanted to make in place with much less attention. The problem is that because of a lack of intention on actual stuff for the 50th, all the attention is going to the new changes like genie, the park pass system, etc

Dan Deesnee

This is extremely well said and it's funny because I just had this conversation with my wife last night.

It is amazing to me that Disney has literally done the exact opposite of what they should have done. They should have enhanced things and added perks instead of stripping things away. When people are already hesitant to travel and possibly concerned about budgets instead Disney cuts features, cuts amenities and raises prices.

You don't have to be an economic mastermind to realize that that is a recipe for disaster. I think the incredible high availability of DVC 4, 5, 6, 7 months out is a testament and that Disney might have pushed it too far.

Figments Friend

I was at the Magic Kingdom earlier today.
Must say that 30 minutes early entry for Resort Guests is pretty sweet right now.
I don't think a lot of folks staying on Property know about this 'new' benefit.
Either that, or there are not a lot of people staying on Property right now.

MK areas beyond the Resort Guest checkpoint were sparse.
Like, scary empty in Fantasyland this morning until about 10am.
Surreal.

Guests are still lined up for the Emporium ....and the Cinema.
Did they ever leave the Park last night.....?
😆
Seriously, I was surprised to still see lines for this today.
The main Pin Trading shop over at Frontierland also has a long line...I beleive its for AP Limited Editions pins or perhaps the card swap ( to a 50th design ).
Nothing happening over at Big Top.
You can walk in, but there isn't anything on display.
Must have been wiped out yesterday....or whatever was left sent back over to the Main Street Cinema or Creations Shop.

Speaking of Resort stays .....and merchandise for the 50th -

Wanted to mention that yesterday Disney released TWO new Resort Refillable Mug designs for the 50th.
Just had them in my hands as of ten minutes ago, just to get a good look at the artwork used for the two designs.
Sorry I can't post photos....no can do with my tablet remotely.
Both are nicely done though, so these will be popular.
One is themed to Magic Kingdom with some retro throwback Attraction icons, and the other is a colorful stylistic collage of the various WDW Resort hotels.

-

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

I think there's some truth in what you say, although I do think that if they had gone all out for the 50th, added a couple more attractions, plussed A bunch of classic attractions, returned a night parade, had The redo of Epcot complete (regardless of what you think of it), They probably could have slipped in and gotten The changes that they've wanted to make in place with much less attention. The problem is that because of a lack of intention on actual stuff for the 50th, all the attention is going to the new changes like genie, the park pass system, etc
Probably true - although Genie would still seem menacing to many. You at least need to bury the undesirable in a pile of perks - a spoonful of sugar, and all that.

It also pertains to the public images of CEO. Eisner destroyed EPCOT, beginning the fall of WDW, but he also saved the company, plussed the parks immensely and built MGM and AK and I’d take him back in a minute. Iger began many of the trends that are harming Disney right now, but he won’t be known for that, he’ll be known for his massive IP acquisitions. Chapek, however, didn’t wait before Intensifying the problems with the parks (and picking fights with beloved movie stars). That’s going to be his reputation until something bigger and more dramatic occurs, and I don’t know what that could be.

Spoonful of sugar…

Dunston

Probably true - although Genie would still seem menacing to many. You at least need to bury the undesirable in a pile of perks - a spoonful of sugar, and all that.

It also pertains to the public images of CEO. Eisner destroyed EPCOT, beginning the fall of WDW, but he also saved the company, plussed the parks immensely and built MGM and AK and I’d take him back in a minute. Iger began many of the trends that are harming Disney right now, but he won’t be known for that, he’ll be known for his massive IP acquisitions. Chapek, however, didn’t wait before Intensifying the problems with the parks (and picking fights with beloved movie stars). That’s going to be his reputation until something bigger and more dramatic occurs, and I don’t know what that could be.

Spoonful of sugar…
Most people don't know about the history of Disney's CEOs.

Vegas Disney Fan

The people that are there obviously don't care.

I think of it more as a calculated risk, we are going to WDW in a few weeks and have been to DL several times since they reopened, we are vaccinated, sanitize often, try to avoid unnecessary touching, etc… I don’t see the Disney parks as any more risky than a trip to Target or going to work.

Maybe today. But judging by availability over the next few months crowds are going to be low.

I’m curious to see what we end up with, I had to stalk myDisney for almost 2 weeks to find a hotel room under $1000, everything was sold out except some overpriced DVC rooms, thankfully someone cancelled at POFQ so we were able to get our favorite resort.

Part of me is worried it’s going to be packed based on resort availability, part of me is optimistic it’ll be quiet based on what I’m reading here. I think I’ll expect packed and hope I’m pleasantly surprised.

VJ

Agree. Someone in another thread was excusing the lameness that is the new castle projection show "Enchantment" because some kids liked it and they're Disney's "future".
“We believed in our idea: a family park where parents and children could have fun, together.” -Walt Disney

“You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway.” -Walt Disney

“We think of the family audience. Mickey Mouse would not have been the success he was were it not for the broad appeal. We are not playing just for kids. If you took your kids to the movies and left them there to be picked up later and did not go in yourself, I’d feel unhappy. After all, if you are aiming at the kids, what age would you aim at?” -Walt Disney

And finally, one I feel is more relevant now than ever given the current trajectory of The Walt Disney Company:

“Disneyland is a work of love. We didn’t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.” -Walt Disney

Vegas Disney Fan

I still prefer post Frank wells Eisner to what we have now

I’m a huge fan of early Eisner but think he was horrible post Wells, I’m a bigger fan of Iger, although I think he cheaped out on things he shouldn’t have either (seven dwarfs and Navi journey instantly jump to mind), despite his errors I think he vastly improved (or green lit plans that will improve) all the parks.

I think it’s too early to crucify Chapek although I admit he’s off to a horrible start, his cheap streak reminds me of late Eisner but he’s only been in charge during Covid and I’m cautiously (maybe naively) optimistic he’ll open the purse strings a bit once normality returns.

Squishy

For the 50th cavalcade why does it look they tried to center the 50th icon but failed? The ribbon has a hole and a dent.
1633206352559.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom