The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

Dunston

Probably true - although Genie would still seem menacing to many. You at least need to bury the undesirable in a pile of perks - a spoonful of sugar, and all that.

It also pertains to the public images of CEO. Eisner destroyed EPCOT, beginning the fall of WDW, but he also saved the company, plussed the parks immensely and built MGM and AK and I’d take him back in a minute. Iger began many of the trends that are harming Disney right now, but he won’t be known for that, he’ll be known for his massive IP acquisitions. Chapek, however, didn’t wait before Intensifying the problems with the parks (and picking fights with beloved movie stars). That’s going to be his reputation until something bigger and more dramatic occurs, and I don’t know what that could be.

Spoonful of sugar…
Most people don't know about the history of Disney's CEOs.

Vegas Disney Fan

The people that are there obviously don't care.

I think of it more as a calculated risk, we are going to WDW in a few weeks and have been to DL several times since they reopened, we are vaccinated, sanitize often, try to avoid unnecessary touching, etc… I don’t see the Disney parks as any more risky than a trip to Target or going to work.

Maybe today. But judging by availability over the next few months crowds are going to be low.

I’m curious to see what we end up with, I had to stalk myDisney for almost 2 weeks to find a hotel room under $1000, everything was sold out except some overpriced DVC rooms, thankfully someone cancelled at POFQ so we were able to get our favorite resort.

Part of me is worried it’s going to be packed based on resort availability, part of me is optimistic it’ll be quiet based on what I’m reading here. I think I’ll expect packed and hope I’m pleasantly surprised.

VJ

Agree. Someone in another thread was excusing the lameness that is the new castle projection show "Enchantment" because some kids liked it and they're Disney's "future".
“We believed in our idea: a family park where parents and children could have fun, together.” -Walt Disney

“You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway.” -Walt Disney

“We think of the family audience. Mickey Mouse would not have been the success he was were it not for the broad appeal. We are not playing just for kids. If you took your kids to the movies and left them there to be picked up later and did not go in yourself, I’d feel unhappy. After all, if you are aiming at the kids, what age would you aim at?” -Walt Disney

And finally, one I feel is more relevant now than ever given the current trajectory of The Walt Disney Company:

“Disneyland is a work of love. We didn’t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.” -Walt Disney

Vegas Disney Fan

I still prefer post Frank wells Eisner to what we have now

I’m a huge fan of early Eisner but think he was horrible post Wells, I’m a bigger fan of Iger, although I think he cheaped out on things he shouldn’t have either (seven dwarfs and Navi journey instantly jump to mind), despite his errors I think he vastly improved (or green lit plans that will improve) all the parks.

I think it’s too early to crucify Chapek although I admit he’s off to a horrible start, his cheap streak reminds me of late Eisner but he’s only been in charge during Covid and I’m cautiously (maybe naively) optimistic he’ll open the purse strings a bit once normality returns.

Squishy

For the 50th cavalcade why does it look they tried to center the 50th icon but failed? The ribbon has a hole and a dent.
1633206352559.png

techgeek

Lots of people asking “Is that it?”.

There were really only two ‘surprises’ all week... the plussing to the EWP, and the new Monorail lighting (which must have been kept pretty well under wraps, that was a total surprise).

Everything else was pretty much as advertised, which considering how thin the plan was is definitely a disappointment.

Squishy

They need to just drain the lake, install a World of Color style show and call it a day. They’ve already invested so much into the seating area it’s a waste not to use it.
I really don't understand why they don't just spend the money on draining it and leveling out the bottom to install World of Color gear... Instead they rather keep spending money that could've been spent on that for shows that most guests don't care about.

TrojanUSC

Depends on which Eisner, the Frank Wells Eisner who saved the company, brought about the Disney renaissance, and who spared no expense (Disneyland Paris) or the post Wells Eisner who gave us a cheap DCA, a cheap MGM, and a scaled down AK.

MGM opened when Wells was still at Disney in 1989?

AK may have been scaled down but it continues to be, in my opinion, the most detailed and themed park at WDW (minus Chester & Hesters which should go). It's not everyone's cup of tea, but in terms of immersion it's fantastic. DCA was the big misfire, along with the direct-to-video sequels.

Sir_Cliff

It also pertains to the public images of CEO. Eisner destroyed EPCOT, beginning the fall of WDW, but he also saved the company, plussed the parks immensely and built MGM and AK and I’d take him back in a minute. Iger began many of the trends that are harming Disney right now, but he won’t be known for that, he’ll be known for his massive IP acquisitions. Chapek, however, didn’t wait before Intensifying the problems with the parks (and picking fights with beloved movie stars). That’s going to be his reputation until something bigger and more dramatic occurs, and I don’t know what that could be.
Watching Chapek avoiding getting up and speaking in front of the guests at MK yesterday and also the fact Iger was brought out alongside him and played the dominant role in the previous night's limp rededication of the park had me pondering Chapek's particularly rocky start. Coming from the dark period that was the end of the Eisner years, Iger initially generated significant goodwill even among park fans for things like DCA 2.0 and finally rescuing DLP. The beginning of Chapek's term has so far been marked by a period of undisguised moves to rapidly raise prices and cut back on benefits for guests at the parks and resorts. The previous CEOs seemed to place quite a lot of importance on these big anniversaries and park openings, but Chapek notably kept his involvement in WDW's 50th to media interviews and the celebration itself has so far fallen flat. Kind of weird we now have a former head of the Parks division as CEO who seems so disconnected from this celebration and that has overseen the development of a WDW 50th anniversary celebration that is itself so disconnected from WDW and mostly just celebrates Disney.

I also wonder whether there will be some big move that will mark him out as anything more than someone who is good at ringing revenue out of Disney's existing resources while ing off its fans.

I’m a huge fan of early Eisner but think he was horrible post Wells, I’m a bigger fan of Iger, although I think he cheaped out on things he shouldn’t have either (seven dwarfs and Navi journey instantly jump to mind), despite his errors I think he vastly improved (or green lit plans that will improve) all the parks.

I think it’s too early to crucify Chapek although I admit he’s off to a horrible start, his cheap streak reminds me of late Eisner but he’s only been in charge during Covid and I’m cautiously (maybe naively) optimistic he’ll open the purse strings a bit once normality returns.
I also feel this period is a bit reminiscent of late Eisner and I don't think people remember quite how bad that was. The barges for harmonious are terrible, but remember that under Eisner Spaceship Earth spent years with two-dimensional images of Sorcerer Mickey's hand and a magic wand mounted on metal scaffolding towering over one side with a pink "Epcot" scrolled over the top and little stars sprinkled across the structure. There were also years of a giant metal sorcerer Mickey hat at the Studios obscuring the Chinese Theatre. Under Iger, I do think that at least the quality of new offerings at the parks mostly increased even if I don't love the IP mandate.

The thing with the early Chapek period is that we are already seeing shoddy pieces of work like that new Polynesian entrance and a big push toward trying to find the minimum Disney can offer park guests for the maximum price.

Last edited:

doctornick

Not trying to be argumentative but it is not a "little more" availability at 7 months right now. It is significantly more. My family typically booked 7 months out and never before have we basically had our pick up places to stay like we did recently.

It's not even just 7 months out It's 5 and 6 months out as well. This is the current availability for a standard one bedroom villa at Boardwalk 5 months out.

View attachment 590611

Again I've never seen availability like this or even remotely close to this. Want to stay at Poly? Half of March is available and almost all of April for a standard regular view studio.

Now what I think might be happening is that people are simply planning their vacations less in advance because they're worried about new restrictions and stuff like that. I would imagine this availability will disappear about 4 months out.

That or Disney has a massive problem and this 50th is going to be a total bust when there's still celebrating in 2023 and hardly anyone is showing up.
1 bedrooms always have the best availability of different unit types though. Studio availability usually is the best indicator of demand, no?

Disney Analyst

I also feel this period is a bit reminiscent of late Eisner and I don't think people remember quite how bad that was. The barges for harmonious are terrible, but remember that under Eisner Spaceship Earth spent years with two-dimensional images of Sorcerer Mickey's hand and a magic wand mounted on metal scaffolding towering over one side with a pink "Epcot" scrolled over the top and little stars sprinkled across the structure. There were also years of a giant metal sorcerer Mickey hat at the Studios obscuring the Chinese Theatre. Under Iger, I do think that at least the quality of new offerings at the parks mostly increased even if I don't love the IP mandate.

Yeah I find the sudden… warped history of the Eisner era being described on these boards as a bit… delusional. And I don’t mean that to be rude, but you sort of hit the nail.

I think people are allowing their memory of what happened back then be clouded.

Save Disney happened for a reason. The 50th at Disneyland itself was only saved by Matt Ouimet and the transition from Eisner to Iger. The renaissance of Disneyland happened during that time.

Lest we forget Marcelo Torres and his untimely death all as a direct result of the mismanagement and cost cutting under the Eisner era. Disneyland was decaying. Disney’s image was dying. Save Disney and then end of the Eisner era is what brought the parks back to shining standards: as good as the shining standards from long ago? Probably not. But significantly better then they were.

I don’t think the Disney we are complaining about today even comes close to what was happening back then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom