The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

runnsally

Anyone interested in a WDW 50th Anniversary Box? Available for the low low price of $500 - no fights with other humans required!

ETA: They probably missed a trick making a shirt out of that license plate design. Put it on a heather green t-shirt and I'd be giving you some of my green, Mr. TWDC sir!
The Tomorrowland cabana of merchandise

Musical Mermaid

What a strange day it was, some good, some bad. First, I was very excited I got to park for free. Woohoo, $25 saved! I was very disappointed that the trams still aren’t running. It would’ve been great to have those back for the big day.

I had no idea about the free photopass. I would have gotten some pictures if I had known. It’s harder to get nice pictures when you’re there by yourself. I just looked at the one photo I did scan from Splash Mountain and it doesn’t even have me in it, even though the one I scanned did. 😕

Wifi signal was down for most of the day. That stunk. How can you use My Disney Experience when you have no access to the internet? I don’t have the latest phone and the greatest data service either, so wifi would’ve helped a whole lot.

I barely waited for any rides. Splash Mountain, BTMR, and Space Mountain were walk ons. I thought the wait time for Space was great at 20 minutes, but when I got inside, there was only a handful of people loading into the vehicles. This was a day for people who don’t long waits for attractions.

I didn’t buy any merchandise. Most of it doesn’t appeal to me. I got into Big Top around 10 am, but everything was overpriced, even by usual Disney prices. When I picked up one of the ladies shirts to look at it, the sleeves were stuck to the back. I’m not spending that much on a shirt when the design is sticky. The one thing I did want from the Cinema wasn’t in stock, so I guess I’ll head to Disney Springs for that.

Food was terrible and I’ve eaten at Columbia Harbour House and Pecos Bills in the past. I don’t remember them being this awful. I could pay a lot less for fast food and have a better meal. I thought about trying some of the new snacks, but will probably do that in a few weeks when I have family coming, so I can share them with somebody.

I met @Figments Friend who was very nice and gave me a couple postcards and a sticker. 🙂 I’m glad there wasn’t a line for that, but there should’ve been more people to come and meet you, because your postcards are so cute.

Main Street filled up quickly for fireworks and why, I’ll never know. Enchantment wasn’t worth it. I think in the future, I’ll use that time to do other things in the park or maybe leave early. I wish I could have stayed until 11, but my whole body was tired and it was a long day. It was a decent day for rides, but as a 50th birthday celebration, it was a letdown.

dreday3

To my merch buying friends, remember, only get stuff you personally like, not things you think are "exclusive" or will "go up in value".

2 years from now merch with "50th Anniversary" on it will be about as cool as wearing a Disney World Shirt with "2018" on it now.

That's funny because we just said this might be the first year we buy a t-shirt! :D

We aren't big souvenir people. All I want actually has nothing to do with the 50th. I saw some cute food/wine merch and some Spaceship Earth stuff. And I'd like to find a Pooh plush, but i keep hearing there are none. :(

JohnD

What a strange day it was, some good, some bad. First, I was very excited I got to park for free. Woohoo, $25 saved! I was very disappointed that the trams still aren’t running. It would’ve been great to have those back for the big day.

I had no idea about the free photopass. I would have gotten some pictures if I had known. It’s harder to get nice pictures when you’re there by yourself. I just looked at the one photo I did scan from Splash Mountain and it doesn’t even have me in it, even though the one I scanned did. 😕

Wifi signal was down for most of the day. That stunk. How can you use My Disney Experience when you have no access to the internet? I don’t have the latest phone and the greatest data service either, so wifi would’ve helped a whole lot.

I barely waited for any rides. Splash Mountain, BTMR, and Space Mountain were walk ons. I thought the wait time for Space was great at 20 minutes, but when I got inside, there was only a handful of people loading into the vehicles. This was a day for people who don’t long waits for attractions.

I didn’t buy any merchandise. Most of it doesn’t appeal to me. I got into Big Top around 10 am, but everything was overpriced, even by usual Disney prices. When I picked up one of the ladies shirts to look at it, the sleeves were stuck to the back. I’m not spending that much on a shirt when the design is sticky. The one thing I did want from the Cinema wasn’t in stock, so I guess I’ll head to Disney Springs for that.

Food was terrible and I’ve eaten at Columbia Harbour House and Pecos Bills in the past. I don’t remember them being this awful. I could pay a lot less for fast food and have a better meal. I thought about trying some of the new snacks, but will probably do that in a few weeks when I have family coming, so I can share them with somebody.

I met @Figments Friend who was very nice and gave me a couple postcards and a sticker. 🙂 I’m glad there wasn’t a line for that, but there should’ve been more people to come and meet you, because your postcards are so cute.

Main Street filled up quickly for fireworks and why, I’ll never know. Enchantment wasn’t worth it. I think in the future, I’ll use that time to do other things in the park or maybe leave early. I wish I could have stayed until 11, but my whole body was tired and it was a long day. It was a decent day for rides, but as a 50th birthday celebration, it was a letdown.
I waited on MS. Had to see it in person. It’s not as bad as everyone makes it out to be when seen in person. HEA was still better but I thought this was a pretty good show. One nit is don’t stand in the middle of MS. You’ll be distracted by the projections looking one way toward the castle then to both sides of the street. Stand either closer to the castle beyond MS or near the train station so that you’re looking straight ahead.

Musical Mermaid

Anyone interested in a WDW 50th Anniversary Box? Available for the low low price of $500 - no fights with other humans required!

ETA: They probably missed a trick making a shirt out of that license plate design. Put it on a heather green t-shirt and I'd be giving you some of my green, Mr. TWDC sir!
I like parts of it, but not the whole thing, and definitely not the price. I liked the Disneyland one for the 60th much better and it was $100.

Dan Deesnee

Disney doesn't instantly book up. People book several months out.

That's there point.

I just booked Polynesian for 8 days in May next year. ENTIRE month was available. Not only at Poly but at many, many other dvc resorts. I've been a DVC member for years and I've never seen it like this...ever.

Also it was not just for May. February March and April had insane amounts of availability too.

Disney has a major problem on their hands. There is no way anyone senior that handles WDW is not aware of this.

Question is, how will they react?

mikejs78

Premium Member
That's there point.

I just booked Polynesian for 8 days in May next year. ENTIRE month was available. Not only at Poly but at many, many other dvc resorts. I've been a DVC member for years and I've never seen it like this...ever.

Also it was not just for May. February March and April had insane amounts of availability too.

Disney has a major problem on their hands. There is no way anyone senior that handles WDW is not aware of this.

It's not just Disney it's the whole industry. And it's trending upwards. Disney is also releasing more room capacity as things fill up.

You can't judge 2022 until we are in December or so.... But I can tell you from a travel standpoint that things are picking up. People are still antsy about Covid, and that's just starting to abate.

Magenta Panther

Just saw Adam the Woo's video report of WDW's 50th celebration day. Big crowd. But nothing special was offered to the park guests. Adam made it to the castle hub and waited for something special to happen. What happened is that a few of the costumed characters stood in front of the castle, raised their arms, and the pyro that shoots out of the castle happened. Ta dah! Then the characters walked off the stage.

It looked like a lot of people were there to buy 50th merchandise. Suckers.

What happened to the "celebration"? Was there more than I saw in the Woo's video?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think we should expect a lot more creativity out of WDW - can enhance the 50th offerings while keeping the pandemic in mind. Not mutually exclusive.
I’m trying to behave…but you got me triggered here.

I don’t understand why holding Disney accountable is considered a bad thing?

the world has been locked in…economics are changing…people are reevaluating everything. And during that time Disney has increased prices, required more hoops and reduced offerings

this is basic economics. A consumer is required To question the supplier. The model collapses if they don’t. It’s not really optional.

requiring that no one be critical of the mouse because they can’t cope with idea of traveling there and still being somewhat critical…is immature.
1. Grow up
2. If you need the “D” that badly…there are other ways to get it.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's not just Disney it's the whole industry. And it's trending upwards. Disney is also releasing more room capacity as things fill up.

You can't judge 2022 until we are in December or so.... But I can tell you from a travel standpoint that things are picking up. People are still antsy about Covid, and that's just starting to abate.
It will pick up if the health stabilizes and economics are favorable for travel.

that looks good for now.

however there isn’t some barn blowing inherent demand for wdw that many assume at this point in time.

jpinkc

That's there point.

Raise prices, you have to ask? Keep the All Star Sports shut, etc. No Parades, Little to no live entertainment. But I do agree its a bit early to say the sky is falling. I have a feeling that by next Summer things will be very much $$$$ for Disney as usual. Even though they already stated that the Parks Division was back in profit at the last investor session.

Magenta Panther

I’m trying to behave…but you got me triggered here.

I don’t understand why holding Disney accountable is considered a bad thing?

the world has been locked in…economics are changing…people are reevaluating everything. And during that time Disney has increased prices, required more hoops and reduced offerings

this is basic economics. A consumer is required To question the supplier. The model collapsed if they don’t.

requiring that no one be critical of the mouse because they can’t cope with idea of traveling there and still being somewhat critical…is immature.
1. Grow up
2. If you need the “D” that badly…there are other ways to get it.

Agree. Someone in another thread was excusing the lameness that is the new castle projection show "Enchantment" because some kids liked it and they're Disney's "future". Well, as long as grownups have to pay WDW's exorbitant admissions fees here in the PRESENT, there better be something there for them too. There better be Disney nostalgia in the shows - lots of it - because that's the glue that keeps a lot of people coming. Walt's classics - despite the PC whining - are still the bedrock the parks are built on. For my part, if it weren't for my continued affection for classic Disney, I'd just go to Universal, or, even better, visit the superior theme parks overseas, like Phantasia Land and Europa Park in Germany, or Efteling in the Netherlands - ALL of those parks are eating Disney's lunch when it comes to quality attractions and theming. WDW can either step up or be left behind. I keep hoping it'll do the former. Someday. We'll see...

mikejs78

Premium Member
It will pick up if the health stabilizes and economics are favorable for travel.

that looks good for now.

however there isn’t some barn blowing inherent demand for wdw that many assume at this point in time.
I'd agree that there's nnot barn blowing inherint demand for WDW, but I do think there's a pent up desire to travel and do things. Disney will benefit from that once the health situation stabilizes, as will Universal, and the rest of the travel industry.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
That's there point.

Keep in mind borrowing restrictions are still in effect. Most people may not have the points to book.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agree. Someone in another thread was excusing the lameness that is the new castle projection show "Enchantment" because some kids liked it and they're Disney's "future". Well, as long as grownups have to pay WDW's exorbitant admissions fees here in the PRESENT, there better be something there for them too. There better be Disney nostalgia in the shows - lots of it - because that's the glue that keeps a lot of people coming. Walt's classics - despite the PC whining - are still the bedrock the parks are built on. For my part, if it weren't for my continued affection for classic Disney, I'd just go to Universal, or, even better, visit the superior theme parks overseas, like Phantasia Land and Europa Park in Germany, or Efteling in the Netherlands - ALL of those parks are eating Disney's lunch when it comes to quality attractions and theming. WDW can either step up or be left behind. I keep hoping it'll do the former. Someday. We'll see...
Disney’s business now is heavily dependent on the good will from Gen X…and will for 20 years.

we are such a cranky, cynical bunch.

go ahead, Bobs…charged $250 a day for some dippy 10 minute show and don’t add any new innovative stuff from 2022-2031.

…give it a try

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom