The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

prberk

Par for the course for WDW anniversary specials though. I've been rewatching old anniversary specials, and they're mostly awful. The grand opening special has Julie Andrews, but other than that, it's Glen Campbell wandering around property and Jonathan Winters badgering his wife so much she runs away. The 10th shows a family on vacation at WDW, but any of the sketches could happen anywhere. The 15th is solid, takes place mostly on Main Street with Bea Arthur and Betty White hosting, and promotes the new EPCOT Center. Other than that, it's pop performances, with Charlton Heston doing some patriotic thing. The 20th is the worst. It's just Michael Eisner going to various celebrities asking them to host the special and getting turned down, with some pop performances sprinkled in.
There was a live special on the Disney Channel (remember that?) for the 25th that actually included the luminaries RE-reading the dedication plaque and Roy E. Disney remembering the 1076 trombones marching down Main Street on opening day. That was the kind of special we need (minus the castle cake…).

MagicHappens1971

At MK tonight, seems as though every single person here is in the hub waiting for HEA. Nothing unexpected, but based on the amount of people in the Emporium and Main Street Theatre, I think Friday may be even more of a madhouse than I expected. A CM @ GR said they’re working a 16 hour shift Friday, crazy! Lol One thing I will say is these blue button down shirts they have cast wearing in the emporium is quite jarring. And I feel like someone mentioned a few weeks ago they have cast from other attractions in their costumes doing PAC on the hub?

wtyy21

As the WDW 50th anniversary celebration nears, i wonder that many people will wearing Disneyland 50th anniversary ears from 2005 and even the DL "Hidden Mickey" 50th anniversary logo will come back to used after more than 16 years.
images (1).jpeg

37908934_1.jpg
Many of these merchandise are sold out online because of memories have with Disneyland 50th.

SorcererDonald16

I’m excited for the Vault Collection. They really need to understand the nostalgia and classic things play better (and sell better) with a lot of us than the 5 millionth spirit jersey, overpriced ears, etc. They have a lot of history and great parks characters to work with. Utilize them!

BTW— Where did all of the artwork and such go in Magic Kingdom now that the Cinema is all Vault stuff?

brb1006

Since Happily Ever After is dead and who knows when Fantasmic will returns. Here's a memorial for the fallen nighttime entertainment of Walt Disney World.
screenshot_20210929-215433_photos-jpg.590010

Happy 50th Anniversary Walt Disney World... still need a brand new electrical parade in the future.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

At MK tonight, seems as though every single person here is in the hub waiting for HEA. Nothing unexpected, but based on the amount of people in the Emporium and Main Street Theatre, I think Friday may be even more of a madhouse than I expected. A CM @ GR said they’re working a 16 hour shift Friday, crazy! Lol One thing I will say is these blue button down shirts they have cast wearing in the emporium is quite jarring. And I feel like someone mentioned a few weeks ago they have cast from other attractions in their costumes doing PAC on the hub?
16 hour shift? are they that short of staff???

doctornick

I know I’m a heathen here in that I don’t give a crap about them doing special stuff to “celebrate” an anniversary- I’d rather see them invest money on just permanently enhancing the parks than doing temporary special stuff.

So that being said, I actually love some of the stuff being rolled out - the Monorail lighting, the Beacons of Light Magic on SSE (can’t wait to see the other icons) - that I would expect to stick around and continue to entertain.

I also love that they added the 50th stuff to the EWP.

On the flip side, I’m still salty they don’t have a new (or even borrowed) parade. Would have rather seen entertainment budget go to that over two new fireworks shows.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

They just ran the 50th tag in front of and behind the Electrical Water Pagent.

Yep.
Saw it with my own eyes around 10:30pm tonight.
Just wonderful to see....it looks REALLY nice in person!
Twinkling effects, and also some nice light animation effects.

If nothing else major happens for the 50th in two days, I will at least leave happy for this charming additional to the Electrical Water Pageant.
This was a very nice 'plussing' of this long running show ...which in itself turns 50 this year.

Make an effort to see this edition....it really is a great way to close an evening at the Magic Kingdom.

:)

-

Figments Friend

Would have loved to see the business dude, stoic like a wall street manager.. yet smiling from inside as he is going to WDW with his Mushu plush. XD
View attachment 589943

That medium sized Mushu plush meant a lot to him and it showed.
When he boarded the flight, I was impressed that he didn't do the typical thing and put the plush with his carry on bag in the overhead bin.
Nope....Mushu rode with him.

What a 'lucky dragon', indeed!

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom