The Withdrawn Hotel ...

DLPMagic

Original Poster
Hi !

Having been last summer at WDW, I have visited quickly the hotels, I have seen a part of the POP CENTURY not finished and withdrawn.
Anyone have informations about this ? Why was it constructed and not finished ? Does anyone have pictures of this ?
On Google Earth we can see clearly some places ready for the buildings, the second reception already built and even the roads.
So if you have pictures of this hotel not finished, (inside outside) I thank you in advance.

:wave:

JimboJones123

I double dare nobody to say "Do a Search"!

Can you do it???

Let's see.

To actually respond to the op -- Post 9/11 -- construction on the other half halted and has been the same ever since. That's about it.

CrashNet

Hi and welcome. Pop Century was begun before 9/11. At the time the booming attendence merited a large complex. After the attacks in New York on 9/11, attendence plummetted. The lack in demand prompted Disney to decide to postpone construction on the second-half of Pop Century and complete the first half. As far as I know, they have not addressed plans yet to restart construction of the second portion of the resort. If you look at Google Maps or MSN Maps, you'll see materials all over the site, suggesting the site was abandoned rather quickly.

Brian_WDW74

POP Century was supposed to be built in two phases. Phase One was the "Classic Years" representing the 1950's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. That's the POP we're familiar with today. Phase Two was the "Legendary Years" representing the 1900's, 10's, 20's, 30's and 40's. The construction began, but as others have said, 9/11 happened and the story ended there. For now.

But if someone does a search, they will find that cool video someone took waking through the abandoned buildings. I'm not doing all that work, but maybe some one will!:lol:

DLPMagic

Original Poster
Thank you for your quick answer !

If anyone have the video ...

PS: Sorry if I may post stupid questions, but I only discoverd WDW last summer and became a real fan at this time.
Feel free to ask about DLP :animwink:

Brian_WDW74

Thank you for your quick answer !

If anyone have the video ...

PS: Sorry if I may post stupid questions, but I only discoverd WDW last summer and became a real fan at this time.
Feel free to ask about DLP :animwink:

Your questions aren't stupid at all! I just hope you'll be patient with us when we start asking you stupid questions about DLP! :)

sweetpee_1993

Thanks for posting the link to that video! I have seen the Legendary Years rough buildings dozens of times in passing but never from that perspective. And watching the video answered my question: there WAS a separate 'Great Hall'. Awesome. 2007 has been a record year. Maybe we'll see the 'Legendary Years' come to life sooner than later now. :)

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I think its great that Disney has a resort themed as the Great Depression... (run down, no power, dirt floors, and fun debris) very authentic looking.. it even has tumbleweeds lol. It needs more circa 1929-1932-esq abandoned buildings though. :lol::lookaroun

I think its great that Disney has a resort themed as the Great Depression... (run down, no power, dirt floors, and fun debris) very authentic looking.. it even has tumbleweeds lol. It needs more circa 1929-1932-esq abandoned buildings though. :lol::lookaroun

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

dsnyfreak

yes I saw that too. that vid is a little creepy. t looks like an abandoned horror movie set. and that fact that all you hear is footsteps and breathing, the most scary that I think that is at the world!!:lookaroun
But if someone does a search, they will find that cool video someone took waking through the abandoned buildings. I'm not doing all that work, but maybe some one will!:lol:

GymLeaderPhil

It's creepy when you cross the Generation Gap bridge and the music slowly fades away. Your room is never ready, you can't check in, and, while there are buses from time to time, they never pick up anyone! :lookaroun

bauton

Maybe they could us it for the "adult-oriented" Halloween event that has been talked about. Each wing could be it's own Haunted House, and the reception building could have a food court, and of course, a gift shop!!!

Parking is already there, and would not impact operation of the theme parks.

Maybe they could us it for the "adult-oriented" Halloween event that has been talked about. Each wing could be it's own Haunted House, and the reception building could have a food court, and of course, a gift shop!!!

Parking is already there, and would not impact operation of the theme parks.

That might actually be fun!

Pop Century Pt. 2 is still under construction, they just hired the slowest construction team ever. There just on a break and havent gotten back from the bar yet.:hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom