The Walt Disney Company Commits $2.5 Million for Hurricane Katrina Relief

speck76

Original Poster
Press Release Source: The Walt Disney Company

The Walt Disney Company Commits $2.5 Million for Hurricane Katrina Relief and Rebuilding Efforts
Wednesday August 31, 2:43 pm ET

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 31, 2005--The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS - News) announced today that it will make a corporate contribution of $2.5 million to the relief and rebuilding efforts for victims of Hurricane Katrina. One million dollars will be donated to the American Red Cross for immediate relief efforts, one million dollars will be designated for rebuilding efforts targeted at children's charities, and the remaining $500,000 will be directed towards volunteer centers providing services to the communities affected by the hurricane.
"The devastation in the wake of Hurricane Katrina is simply heartbreaking and our thoughts are with those struggling in the aftermath of this disaster," said Michael Eisner, CEO, and Bob Iger, president, COO and CEO-elect of The Walt Disney Company. "We hope that our donation will aid emergency management teams and organizations in their efforts to provide assistance to those impacted."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Walt Disney Company
Zenia Mucha, 818-560-5300
Michelle Bergman, 818-560-8231
David Caouette, 818-560-8543

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: The Walt Disney Company

goofyfan13

That's awesome. Very classy and heartfelt move by the WDC. :sohappy:

Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone effected by this tragedy.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Erika said:
GOOd for them!! It's nice to get a piece of happy news. Let's hope other big companies follow suit.

Disney wasn't the first. Don't forget, its also tax deductible.

AND its going to be a drop in the bucket. But, yes, they did a good thing. My companies donations aren't going to be 2.5m, but its probably a similar percentage of income.

Erika

Thrawn said:
Disney wasn't the first.

I'm sure they weren't... and that is fine, as long as they are not the last. :)

Thrawn said:
Don't forget, its also tax deductible.

AND its going to be a drop in the bucket. But, yes, they did a good thing. My companies donations aren't going to be 2.5m, but its probably a similar percentage of income.

And tax deductible and political and public as it may be, the bottom line is, people in need will receive some aid. :wave:

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Erika said:
I'm sure they weren't... and that is fine, as long as they are not the last. :)

And tax deductible and political and public as it may be, the bottom line is, people in need will receive some aid. :wave:

Hope they receive the aid, and I hope its going to help some people. I heard a number today that about 3 million people suffered a partial or total loss from the storm. That means that Disney is going to give less than a dollar to everyone. Not Disney's fault, they can't give away the company. But its staggering.

Where's all the idiots that wanted to donate to help fight AIDS in Africa? This is the US, and this is something that wasn't preventable by the people in the place. This thing is going to cost somewhere from 75-100b by the time its said and done.

Some of these charities have their "administrative fees" that take 80% of the donation in some cases. If anyone is thinking of donating, use red cross and salvation army and nothing else.

But I love the "I'm praying for the people down there". Yeah, thats great. How bout praying to "god" that he doesn't send big killer storms that kill thousands? I would think that would be a much better idea to cut off the problem at the source.

/rant

imagineer boy

Wow, Eisner must've been doing drugs. He never does kind things like this. :lol:

But that's very nice of Disney to send money for the relief fund of Katrina. :wave:

DreamerCM

Account Suspended
Thrawn said:
Some of these charities have their "administrative fees" that take 80% of the donation in some cases. If anyone is thinking of donating, use red cross and salvation army and nothing else.

/rant

I guess it all depends on which report a person reads. I have read articles (and heard numerous reports on TV) regarding the Salvation Army being under investigation because the people were only reaping the benefits of about 1% of the donations that were received! I think that besides handing the money directly to the needy people that 100% of our donations will *never* reach the intended hands.

Shaman

imagineer boy said:
Wow, Eisner must've been doing drugs. He never does kind things like this. :lol:

But that's very nice of Disney to send money for the relief fund of Katrina. :wave:

Eisner? Eisner who? There's a new CEO in town...

:)

Tim G

Thrawn said:
Disney wasn't the first. Don't forget, its also tax deductible.

Nag nag nag... They tried to do GOOD...

And you can't deduct a gift of 2.5 mil. only a very small part...

Thrawn

Account Suspended
imagineer boy said:

OMFG. Retract that statement.

- TWDC is the biggest donator to the Ronald McDonald house (yes, bigger than McD)
- TWDC has donated to the relief of nearly all of the major hurricanes in the last 10-15 years.
- TWDC donates 2 billion gallons of water a year
- TWDC donated 1 million after the tsunami, and matched all employee contributions afterward
- TWDC donates 1 million books a year to first book, a charity that gives poor children books, in addition to publishing some of the books for free

In addition to hundreds, if not thousands of smaller contributions.

Educate yourself before you make a pigheaded, stupid comment in the future.
http://disney.go.com/disneyhand/

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Corrus said:
Nag nag nag... They tried to do GOOD...

And you can't deduct a gift of 2.5 mil. only a very small part...

You misunderstand. I am glad they did this, I know TWDC is a responsible company. But to think they did it only to be "charitible" is just kidding yourself.

As far as the deduction ... they make enough money to write off the entire donation. It has to do with the percentage of your income.

Connor002

Thrawn said:
- TWDC is the biggest donator to the Ronald McDonald house (yes, bigger than McD)

thats strange, i mean everyone would think that McDonalds would donate the most to their own charity :brick:

peter11435

Thrawn said:
OMFG. Retract that statement.

- TWDC has donated to the relief of nearly all of the major hurricanes in the last 10-15 years.
- TWDC donates 2 billion gallons of water a year
- TWDC donated 1 million after the tsunami, and matched all employee contributions afterward
- TWDC donates 1 million books a year to first book, a charity that gives poor children books, in addition to publishing some of the books for free

In addition to hundreds, if not thousands of smaller contributions.

Educate yourself before you make a pigheaded, stupid comment in the future.
http://disney.go.com/disneyhand/

:sohappy: You beat me to it. the only major thing you missed was all that they donated and did after 9/11.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom