News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
View attachment 742953

Walt Disney Animation Studios

View attachment 742960

Walt Disney Pictures

View attachment 742958

Disney Parks, Experiences and Products

View attachment 742957

Pixar

View attachment 742955

The Walt Disney Studios

View attachment 742952

ESPN

View attachment 742959

Touchstone Pictures

View attachment 742956

Disney Consumer Products

View attachment 742954

Disney Canada Inc.

images

Walt Disney Records

images

ABC Signature

images

Soapnet

images

shopDisney

Vegas Disney Fan

Are the theme parks core to TWDC? Just asking.
We know D+ and their Movie business are.

My guess is ABC and the other TV stations are the assets they’re likely to sell, ESPN being the exception since it’s important to a D+ and/or Hulu streaming bundle. On the movie side I think Fox is probably the only thing they’d sell, although I think they’d retain rights to Marvel and a few other things.

I’d be shocked if they sold Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilm, ESPN, D+, Hulu, any of their long term studios, or the parks.

That said, if the price is right everything’s for sale.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yes,100%. During the past few years, they and cruises have been the division keeping the company afloat.
Well, the cruise line lost $325 million last fiscal year, but pre-pandemic it was a rather profitable division. But the parks have been Iger’s Cash Cow for 15+ years. Farmer Bob will keep milking them as long as possible. Keep producing, park guests, keep producing.

FutureCEO

One of the main reasons why ABC and ESPN is going downhill (besides getting rid of cable) is sports. Sports brings in the viewers but also wicked expensive to get the rights to air them.

Though if I wanted to watch my favorite football teams, I would have to get Peacock and ESPN Plus. And I think Paramount has the UEFA league too.

ABQ

One of the main reasons why ABC and ESPN is going downhill (besides getting rid of cable) is sports. Sports brings in the viewers but also wicked expensive to get the rights to air them.

Though if I wanted to watch my favorite football teams, I would have to get Peacock and ESPN Plus. And I think Paramount has the UEFA league too.
That's a whole other issue. One would wonder if there will be a day that the bubble bursts on the cost of sports. From the price of an athlete's contract to the cost of admission to the cost of the broadcast rights. If the broadcasters cannot gain viewership, they will eventually be unable to purchase the rights, then what does the sport do? NBA+, MLB+? Direct to consumer. When my MLB stream today goes to a commercial break, I don't get the usual ad I would get if I were watching on NESN or YES or whatever.

pdude81

I'm sure the 10 billion also would buy ABC's content rights, which would be a blow to Hulu unless a long-term licensing deal were struck. I think they still license old shows to lesser known networks also to bring in money. My assumption is they'd love to unload the stations and would be fine with the ABC brand leaving, but content is king in the long run.

Chip Chipperson

That's a whole other issue. One would wonder if there will be a day that the bubble bursts on the cost of sports. From the price of an athlete's contract to the cost of admission to the cost of the broadcast rights. If the broadcasters cannot gain viewership, they will eventually be unable to purchase the rights, then what does the sport do? NBA+, MLB+? Direct to consumer. When my MLB stream today goes to a commercial break, I don't get the usual ad I would get if I were watching on NESN or YES or whatever.

I think MLB is dipping their toes into that already. They've taken over the broadcast rights for a few teams after their regional sports networks (Bally's and whatever AT&T owns/owned) defaulted on their payments. They already offer streaming for out-of-market games, but if they make enough money off these new DTC offerings for in-market games then that could become a viable option for other teams, too. YES started offering a DTC streaming package this season, but it's expensive as far as streaming services go and is only available if you're within their footprint, so anyone outside that area still would go with the MLB service (which is cheaper anyway).

mikejs78

Premium Member
On its own though is abc loosing Disney a ton of money compared to Disney+ bleeding money?
It's not - but the trends are there.

Quarter after quarter, ABC's revenue is declining sharply.

Quarter after quarter, Disney+ losses are declining sharply.

The trends are there for them to swap places in the next couple of years, if not sooner.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
BURBANK, Calif., September 14, 2023 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) issued the following statement in response to media reports regarding our linear businesses.

“While we are open to considering a variety of strategic options for our linear businesses, at this time The Walt Disney Company has made no decision with respect to the divestiture of ABC or any other property and any report to that effect is unfounded.”
Just curious -- wouldn't this be significant enough to start its own thread, rather than tagging along with discussion over Iger's contract extension?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom