News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

ABQ

Only for a little while longer…they’ll all be in a DTC format in a very short amount of time

We out of marketers blazed this trail long ago
I have to agree with @UNCgolf though, the way things like You Tube TV are just raising prices and adding more options it's just becoming Cable again. Before long, everything will be ad supported again and it'll just be lather, rinse, repeat via a new method. DTC will come with as many ads as cable does today, else every program produced will be nothing but product placement for however long a DTC show will be. Might as well watch a 42 minute commercial for the ShamWow, at least Vince was entertaining.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have to agree with @UNCgolf though, the way things like You Tube TV are just raising prices and adding more options it's just becoming Cable again. Before long, everything will be ad supported again and it'll just be lather, rinse, repeat via a new method. DTC will come with as many ads as cable does today, else every program produced will be nothing but product placement for however long a DTC show will be. Might as well watch a 42 minute commercial for the ShamWow, at least Vince was entertaining.
Oh I don’t disagree with that all…led by this 1995 dull cable schmuck

1694724920233.jpeg

…they’re trying to get the same deal when the game changed

But as far as sports goes…every league and ncaa are gonna go DTC in short order.

The booms are gonna drop statistically by an astonishing percent In the next 10 years…

No matter how many go on ozempic

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
BURBANK, Calif., September 14, 2023 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) issued the following statement in response to media reports regarding our linear businesses.

“While we are open to considering a variety of strategic options for our linear businesses, at this time The Walt Disney Company has made no decision with respect to the divestiture of ABC or any other property and any report to that effect is unfounded.”

hopemax

The more streaming we've gotten, the more commercials we're forced to watch, with it sounding like there is even more on the horizon. I feel like that is the endgame. To get us all back to where we were before the VCR and the DVR gave us the freedom to FF. So if that's the choice, I'd rather just go back to linear, I think. At least there is more variety than the same 3-4 commercials played on repeat. Or just turn the bloody thing off. That's the price of too much bad entertainment, since networks think they can just swap creators in and out as if they were a cashier. Sports is no better. As the profits climbed, and the athletes risking their bodies justifiably found the need to fight for their slice of the pie, the result is less entertaining. Winning / losing... the angst, the joy felt by fans comes out of loyalty and a feeling of a shared struggle. But why be so loyal when the "it's just business card," gets played over and over?

ABQ

Oh I don’t disagree with that all…led by this 1995 dull cable schmuck

View attachment 742947

…they’re trying to get the same deal when the game changed

But as far as sports goes…every league and ncaa are gonna go DTC in short order.

The booms are gonna drop statistically by an astonishing percent In the next 10 years…

No matter how many go on ozempic
Now I have that stupid jingle in my head! Oh oh oh.....

mightynine

Oh, the big media corporations would love to get back to commercials, commercials, commercials since that's the closest to what they know now.

The only problem is, that's not probably still not enough to replace all the revenue lost from cable, as the salad days of everyone paying for channels they never watched aren't going to come back. Of course, that makes the channels they rushed to add to cable systems redundant, as we saw with the ones dropped by Charter and soon every other cable system come negotiation time will do the same.

They're going to avoid it as long as possible, because it's very unlikely they'll be able to make as much money going DTC.

That point is very, very close though.

IMO, the closest thing to what we have now would be the former cable companies that became your internet providers start making deals to have their customers get the streaming services included in their internet subscription, i.e.:

CableCom Internet ACCESS Customers can pick from among X amount of streaming services and get one included. CableCom Internet MAX Customers get three, CableCom Internet EXTREME get all of 'em! (The ad-supported versions, naturally)

Internet providers send a little per customer fee over to the companies like they used to per subscriber, more eyeballs for targeted ads (that'll just ignore them while looking at their phones waiting for their content to start but don't tell marketers that!)

It won't be the same amount of money, but it'll be something. And those poor CEOs will have to make do with only one mansion in the hills instead of two, so sad.

Maybe that's the future, maybe not. Maybe everything goes the FAST-based route and it's all lean-back background noise while playing games on our device of choice.

Nubs70

Streaming must become just like cable in order to support the existing content creation model. Once the subscriber metric transforms into free cash flow, you will be paying the same as you did for cable.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
BURBANK, Calif., September 14, 2023 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) issued the following statement in response to media reports regarding our linear businesses.

“While we are open to considering a variety of strategic options for our linear businesses, at this time The Walt Disney Company has made no decision with respect to the divestiture of ABC or any other property and any report to that effect is unfounded.”

As expected, now comes discussions of the book value for divisions that are not considered core functions going forward.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Oh and look, just as this news dropped “people in the know” leaked that D+ is going to miss its 2024 subscriber targets by a wide margin.

D+ greatly exceeded its first goal of subs and blew past it in the first month. At that time, it also had another goal: to be profitable in 2024.

So, they greatly increased the sub goal. And, at that time, it also had another goal: to be profitable in 2024.

But with the Cricket League rights in India being exorbitantly high, Disney passed on those rights which led to millions of Indians (with an ARPU of $0.59) to unsubscribe. And so, Disney lowered that sub goal. And, at that time, it also had another goal: to be profitable in 2024.

Wall Street then decided they didn't care about sub numbers. They just wanted streamers to be profitable. And so, both Disney and Netflix followed suit and stopped caring and reporting on sub goals. And, at that time, it also had another goal: to be profitable in 2024.

So, technically, there are no sub goals to hit. Profitability is the goal.... in 2024.

flynnibus

Premium Member

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Even if when cable/linear is dead dead, and streamer bundles are as much as cable used to be, we have this: Just about everything is now Video on Demand. No more missing shows because linear TV was... linear.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Here, maybe we can help the OC Register Editor with his headlines...

"Disney to miss subscriber target that no one, including Disney, is aiming for anymore"
This story is repeated almost beat by beat in several sources. It's a packaged report. The clickbait title is for the clicks. Just reading the story takes the wind out of the sails of the clickbait title.

tanc

the only service I pay an annual plan for is Youtube, and it's because I use it far more than any other streaming service. Unlike in cable days, at least now you can cancel and decide what services you want to use for a month and such.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Are the theme parks core to TWDC? Just asking.
We know D+ and their Movie business are.

No one in the public knows how each division is being categorized or even if the existing divisional structure is even being used in this calculation. Iger did some immediate things after he hopped back in to stop some of the internal carnage, but if thats the end state or an interim state only he and the high muckety mucks know for sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom