News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well, the cruise line lost $325 million last fiscal year, but pre-pandemic it was a rather profitable division.

That’s misleading though. The only time they were big losses like that was when they were barred from operating. Once running again they have been pumping out the cash.

The cruise line has been an example of controlled growth with stellar profits sustained throughout without extreme leverage or saturating your market.

yensid1967

Just MY opinion...
Why sell ABC? Sell the BIG ELEPHANT in the room that is losing money...Streaming service! The only thing that is keeping Streaming segment going is Parks and Resorts segment! Why can't they see that!!?? Boggles my mind! Just because they WANT to be in the streaming segment doesn't mean they can make a profit from it! If they want to be in the streaming craze, I think they should re-imagine the channel into the Disney Streaming channel. Where it would be a channel you add to your ROKU and it would have access to The Disney Vault as a pay-per-view or even a CHEAP monthly subscription!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm sure the 10 billion also would buy ABC's content rights, which would be a blow to Hulu unless a long-term licensing deal were struck. I think they still license old shows to lesser known networks also to bring in money. My assumption is they'd love to unload the stations and would be fine with the ABC brand leaving, but content is king in the long run.
Iger's looking to sell the:

1. ABC local stations

2. ABC broadcast capability

He's not selling the content, nor the studios. They move to D+/Hulu.

Disney's going to get out of the TV/cable/broadcast business, because it's dying. And have all DTC (direct to consumer) content channeled via streaming.

Don't know why anyone would want to buy the sinking ship the mouse is fleeing.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Just MY opinion...
Why sell ABC? Sell the BIG ELEPHANT in the room that is losing money...Streaming service! The only thing that is keeping Streaming segment going is Parks and Resorts segment! Why can't they see that!!?? Boggles my mind! Just because they WANT to be in the streaming segment doesn't mean they can make a profit from it! If they want to be in the streaming craze, I think they should re-imagine the channel into the Disney Streaming channel. Where it would be a channel you add to your ROKU and it would have access to The Disney Vault as a pay-per-view or even a CHEAP monthly subscription!
Because cable is dying.

How will Disney get all its content from its library, its theatrical releases, from ABC and Disney cable channels to customers if they have all cut their cable cords?

Streaming over the internet is replacing broadcast TV and cable TV. Period.

GimpYancIent

Does anyone get the sense that every new generation cares less and less about sports? I predict that sports will soon be carried by betting more so than fandom if it already isn't.
In the gambling world "The House Always Wins", if sports betting comes to ESPN it will be the House of Mouse that wins not the foolish mortals doing the betting.

pdude81

Iger's looking to sell the:

1. ABC local stations

2. ABC broadcast capability

He's not selling the content, nor the studios. They move to D+/Hulu.

Disney's going to get out of the TV/cable/broadcast business, because it's dying. And have all DTC (direct to consumer) content channeled via streaming.

Don't know why anyone would want to buy the sinking ship the mouse is fleeing.
This is what I believe also. My take was that the only way somebody is offering $10 billion is if they were asking for the content also... which is a non-starter.

el_super

This is what I believe also. My take was that the only way somebody is offering $10 billion is if they were asking for the content also... which is a non-starter.

The line would have to be drawn somewhere. To be honest I can't see much reason to own the stations and equipment (except maybe the land itself) since it's a dying medium. ABC's production facilities and studios might be worth something, but to some degree these have been integrated with Disney's already and I doubt Disney would want to sell off much of their production capacity.

Ironically the joke about the WDI lot is actually pretty interesting, because at some point ABC News would have to be considered. Is it more in line with content production (that Disney wouldn't want to give up) or more in line with studio specific asset (which they might). The studio on the glendale campus is mostly used to produce the local news/weather.

Cthulhu

ABC hasn’t been worth a nickel in a very very long time…be smart to get rid of it.
ESPN isn’t much better, its become more of a complaining and political sound board….so cut your losses

ABQ

ABC hasn’t been worth a nickel in a very very long time…be smart to get rid of it.
ESPN isn’t much better, its become more of a complaining and political sound board….so cut your losses
How much of what ESPN has become is due to the current ownership though?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
You're demonstrably wrong. ABC and ESPN kept TWDC afloat at nearly net zero profit/loss making up for the losses at the parks and cruise lines.

Their revenue is declining, but that doesn't mean its profit is negligible or unprofitable. It still makes huge profit.

Disstevefan1

Nothing in TWDC is safe
IgerTheDestroyer.jpg

Tha Realest

D+ greatly exceeded its first goal of subs and blew past it in the first month. At that time, it also had another goal: to be profitable in 2024.

So, they greatly increased the sub goal. And, at that time, it also had another goal: to be profitable in 2024.

But with the Cricket League rights in India being exorbitantly high, Disney passed on those rights which led to millions of Indians (with an ARPU of $0.59) to unsubscribe. And so, Disney lowered that sub goal. And, at that time, it also had another goal: to be profitable in 2024.

Wall Street then decided they didn't care about sub numbers. They just wanted streamers to be profitable. And so, both Disney and Netflix followed suit and stopped caring and reporting on sub goals. And, at that time, it also had another goal: to be profitable in 2024.

So, technically, there are no sub goals to hit. Profitability is the goal.... in 2024.
I mean, we’ll see how the profitability math works when they miss subscriber targets in such a big way. We’ll keep checking back on this space! Wonder if Bob Iger will find Byron Allen’s as shrewd a negotiator as Brian Roberts

el_super

I mean, we’ll see how the profitability math works when they miss subscriber targets in such a big way. We’ll keep checking back on this space! Wonder if Bob Iger will find Byron Allen’s as shrewd a negotiator as Brian Roberts

No one cares about subscriber targets any longer. As long as money is coming in, they can make content to suit their revenue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom