News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Dranth

It’s been almost a year now, and we still have…
Cheap merch, reduced food quality, even more after hours events (try putting the stink of Jollywood Nights on Chapek), over-filled parties, and abysmal maintenance.
  • Cheap merch: True, but it takes longer than a year to design, contract out, make and stock merch so I don't think we can say one way or the other on this. That being said, I don't expect it to improve significantly as the trash still somehow sells.
  • Reduced food quality: I disagree. It was much improved as of my last trip. Not up to good old day standards but much better than what we were getting the previous few years. Even more so at quick service.
  • More after hours events: Yes, the gift that keeps on giving. Eisner started this mess, Iger doubled down but, they are still popular for the most part so aren't going anywhere. Also, I expect Jollywood will improve as they iron out the kinks and appreciate it is an after hours event instead of closing the park early.
  • Over-filled parties: No. They are no where near as filled as they were in the past. 2017-2019 were miserable and since the parties returned they have kept attendance low the last two years when I went. That is one lesson I believe they learned and is an unfair criticism at this point.
  • Abysmal maintenance: Agreed and it is something they need to address but I don't believe this is the kind of thing that happens over night. It takes time to bring in new people, train them up and get the work done. I would expect us to see more movement on this over the next year with small projects at first (like the Muppets clean up or the Seas painting).
When does the Calvary arrive? Or are tight fitting pants not conducive to horseback riding?
I personally don't have an opinion one way or the other on Josh. I have been in a position with a controlling CEO that limited much of what I could do so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for now. That doesn’t mean he gets a free pass and I expect improvements across the board to gradually come on line over the next year and for them to have a solid plan for the parks at the next D23.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
JMO

I'm not crazy about Iger but I think he's better than Chapek. It's often how I feel about political candidates to be honest (Lesser of two evils). I do believe Iger has a pulse and not sure I saw one from Chapek.

A year in Iger's 2nd reign, there are some positive momentum with the parks but it's clearly not enough. I also believe the wellness of the company and brand overall are directly impacting new parks initiatives.

I often said if the parks would revert to pre-pandemic standards I'd probably be fine with the status quo (no big future park projects on deck) for a while.

And honestly from the parks perspective, I ran that Index (~95%) and it wasn't super far off from being back in my eyes. That being said, I still don't like paying for a shuttle or rideshare to/fro the airport (RIP Magical Express), paying for line skipping hurts the wallet (even though I think Genie+ is a way superior product than FP+, other than the 7 am duties). Complimentary magicbands were a nice gesture that made you feel special. A ton of goodwill feels gone.

What's missing at the parks me? It would be cool to have a night show at AK once again. The dreamlights would have kicked the holidays up a ton. I think little entertainment options like CoMS/CoH and Jedi Training were feel good energy moments they could use again.

With the smaller items missing and likely never returning, I turn my attention to wanting them to do push forward with something past TBA and it's simply not there.
What’s missing in the parks - quite simply - is enough seats to fit customers to handle crowds effectively and allow for a sense of “leisure” for the price

Guess who did that?

And what a disastrous year it has been!!

mattpeto

• Over-filled parties: No. They are no where near as filled as they were in the past. 2017-2019 were miserable and since the parties returned they have kept attendance low the last two years when I went. That is one lesson I believe they learned and is an unfair criticism at this point.
You are so right on this...

I'm also one of those people that like the After Hours branding for Halloween and Christmas because it didn't kick out the day guest at 6 pm. But I'm sure the traditional parties are way more profitable since the price point is lower and they aren't billing it as low waits, etc.

Still I'd love see HEA and Minnie's Wonderful Christmas Fireworks in the same night.

Drdcm

• Cheap merch: True, but it takes longer than a year to design, contract out, make and stock merch so I don't think we can say one way or the other on this. That being said, I don't expect it to improve significantly as the trash still somehow sells..
This is just my experience from last week, but I probably liked the merch more now than any previous trip. I got a disneyworld logo Nike dry fit baseball cap, a neat button down animal kingdom shirt with a bunch of Mary Blair style animals on it, a huge backpack that will be great for weekend trips/flying, and this years Christmas sweatshirt.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Iger is doing exactly the same but blaming everyone else to deflect from showing what a snake he really is.
I dunno.. how many new monetization schemes have you seen started in the parks in the last year? Compared to the near term before it?

At least they've made baby steps to undoing a lot of the stupidity. Price increases are inevitable.. it's really a question of how they price things out when you need it.

Lilofan

Before Iger came back I would have agreed with you but Iger is even worse. Chapek was unapologetic in how brutal he was with maximising profits for the shareholders.

Iger is doing exactly the same but blaming everyone else to deflect from showing what a snake he really is.
In my previous employers, from the top of the food chain down, it is the directive - to manage and lower costs while finding ways to increase profits. What Disney is doing, they are not alone.

Dranth

This is just my experience from last week, but I probably liked the merch more now than any previous trip. I got a disneyworld logo Nike dry fit baseball cap, a neat button down animal kingdom shirt with a bunch of Mary Blair style animals on it, a huge backpack that will be great for weekend trips/flying, and this years Christmas sweatshirt.
That sounds promising. We have a trip coming up soon and it would be great if there has been some progress on the merch.

MR.Dis

In my previous employers, from the top of the food chain down, it is the directive - to manage and lower costs while finding ways to increase profits. What Disney is doing, they are not alone.
Yes, but that was not ALWAYS Disney. Disney would give the extras but increase prices to cover. Now, they have taken away the little extras AND still charging more. More than anything else, this is why Disney Fans like myself are disappointed.

IanDLBZF

I personally don't have an opinion one way or the other on Josh. I have been in a position with a controlling CEO that limited much of what I could do so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for now. That doesn’t mean he gets a free pass and I expect improvements across the board to gradually come on line over the next year and for them to have a solid plan for the parks at the next D23.
They better, or we could be seeing calls for a vote of no confidence against the board from shareholders.

In the Parks
No
Let's just hope there isn't a Palpatine-like figure waiting in the wings, LOL.
Storybook ending...
Eisner.jpg

TrainsOfDisney

Disney is in a pretty tricky place right now and honestly they need a complete restructuring.

What parts of the company are actually profitable right now other than parks and resorts? (Serious question, i don’t know).

tanc

It's going to be some whacky 2 years if he's still in place by then. Kind of crazy how the "IP only" thing is coming back to bite him. Who would have thought taking tons of beloved IP and trying to churn them out in some sort of machine would back fire?

I would love to see an original park, but at this point I know it will never happen so long Iger is in charge.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What parts of the company are actually profitable right now other than parks and resorts? (Serious question, i don’t know).
All of them

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 2.52.24 PM.png

The only segment really in the red itself is DTC and some film stuff
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 2.54.42 PM.png

The issue isn't with Disney groups 'not making money' - It's about the expectation of what their return should be and how the company is positioned for the future as these segments are expected to be challenged with changing landscapes.

TrainsOfDisney

All of them

View attachment 755009

The only segment really in the red itself is DTC and some film stuff
View attachment 755010

The issue isn't with Disney groups 'not making money' - It's about the expectation of what their return should be and how the company is positioned for the future as these segments are expected to be challenged with changing landscapes.
very helpful! What all falls under DTC?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom