News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Dranth

I get you, and as a parks fan myself I do hate the cost cutting and price increases in that is still happening today.

I wish Chapek let the parks spend money in the parks like Iger is letting studios spend money today.
Chapek has and always was a cost cutter. It is how he got as far as he did. He had his chance to do something for the parks and instead he cut all active projects, cancelled others, and then blew everything on D+ content. He was the guy who said unprecedented demand and then had zero plans in place for the park. Why do you think we had such a pathetic D23 last year?

Iger isn't the answer but at the very least, he would have handled the situation that led to the Florida mess better and kept the studio structure that had been working in place. What I hope is he does what he did before, leave who ever is in change of the parks alone to do their thing while he stays in his lane with the studios until he is eventually replaced.

_caleb

Iger attracts talent (and by “attracts,” I mean “buys and doesn’t offend”). Waititi, ScarJo, Favreau, Evans, Holland, Feige, Docter, Rudish, etc.

It’s a very expensive approach, but one that the company doesn’t seem willing to abandon.

Disney’s development and retention of new talent, however, hasn’t seemed to be going so well.

Lilofan

Agreed. Chapek tried to be a leader instead of doing what Iger wanted. Then he toggled to get in line and it was too late. If Chapek wanted to stay in the job, he should have done and said exactly as Iger told him from behind the scenes.

Personally, I think Chapek is way better off right now.
Chapek is $23M better off now with his exit package after getting fired but pales into comparison in Ovitz exit package of $140M when he left Disney in 1994.

Disstevefan1

Chapek has and always was a cost cutter. It is how he got as far as he did. He had his chance to do something for the parks and instead he cut all active projects, cancelled others, and then blew everything on D+ content. He was the guy who said unprecedented demand and then had zero plans in place for the park. Why do you think we had such a pathetic D23 last year?

Iger isn't the answer but at the very least, he would have handled the situation that led to the Florida mess better and kept the studio structure that had been working in place. What I hope is he does what he did before, leave who ever is in change of the parks alone to do their thing while he stays in his lane with the studios until he is eventually replaced.
Personally, I would love to see more money invested in WDW parks, not just new DVCs.

That's not going to happen as long as Iger is in there.

Tha Realest

Yes, we do. He was terrible. Even before he became CEO, he was running the parks and was the one who implemented all the cheap merch, food quality reductions, increased after hours, over stuffing parties, reduced maintenance.
It’s been almost a year now, and we still have…
Cheap merch, reduced food quality, even more after hours events (try putting the stink of Jollywood Nights on Chapek), over-filled parties, and abysmal maintenance.

When does the Calvary arrive? Or are tight fitting pants not conducive to horseback riding?

mattpeto

JMO

I'm not crazy about Iger but I think he's better than Chapek. It's often how I feel about political candidates to be honest (Lesser of two evils). I do believe Iger has a pulse and not sure I saw one from Chapek.

A year in Iger's 2nd reign, there are some positive momentum with the parks but it's clearly not enough. I also believe the wellness of the company and brand overall are directly impacting new parks initiatives.

I often said if the parks would revert to pre-pandemic standards I'd probably be fine with the status quo (no big future park projects on deck) for a while.

And honestly from the parks perspective, I ran that Index (~95%) and it wasn't super far off from being back in my eyes. That being said, I still don't like paying for a shuttle or rideshare to/fro the airport (RIP Magical Express), paying for line skipping hurts the wallet (even though I think Genie+ is a way superior product than FP+, other than the 7 am duties). Complimentary magicbands were a nice gesture that made you feel special. A ton of goodwill feels gone.

What's missing at the parks for me? It would be cool to have a night show at AK once again. The dreamlights would have kicked the holidays up a ton. I think little entertainment options like CoMS/CoH and Jedi Training were feel good energy moments they could use again.

With the smaller items missing and likely never returning, I turn my attention to wanting them to do push forward with something past TBA and it's simply not there.

Last edited:

Indy_UK

JMO

I'm not crazy about Iger but I think he's better than Chapek. It's often how I feel about political candidates to be honest (Lesser of two evils). I do believe Iger has a pulse and not sure I saw one from Chapek.

Before Iger came back I would have agreed with you but Iger is even worse. Chapek was unapologetic in how brutal he was with maximising profits for the shareholders.

Iger is doing exactly the same but blaming everyone else to deflect from showing what a snake he really is.

ToTBellHop

JMO

A year in Iger's 2nd reign, there are some positive momentum with the parks but it's clearly not enough. I also believe the wellness of the company and brand overall are directly impacting new parks initiatives.

I often said if the parks would revert to pre-pandemic standards I'd probably be fine with the status quo (no big future park projects on deck) for a while.

And honestly from the parks perspective, I ran that Index (~95%) and it wasn't super far off from being back in my eyes. That being said, I still don't like paying for a shuttle or rideshare to/fro the airport (RIP Magical Express), paying for line skipping hurts the wallet (even though I think Genie+ is a way superior product than FP+, other than the 7 am duties). Complimentary magicbands were a nice gesture that made you feel special. A ton of goodwill feels gone.

What's missing at the parks me? It would be cool to have a night show at AK once again. The dreamlights would have kicked the holidays up a ton. I think little entertainment options like CoMS/CoH and Jedi Training were feel good energy moments they could use again.

With the smaller items missing and likely never returning, I turn my attention to wanting them to do push forward with something past TIA and it's simply not there.
It could be wise for them to bring some of those things back when we aren’t seeing large scale additions in 2025-2026. But I’ll believe it when I see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom