News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Trauma

We face risks relating to misalignment with public and consumer tastes and preferences for entertainment, travel and consumer products, which impact demand for our entertainment offerings and products and the profitability of any of our businesses

Generally, our revenues and profitability are adversely impacted when our entertainment offerings and products, as well as our methods to make our offerings and products available to consumers, do not achieve sufficient consumer acceptance. Further, consumers’ perceptions of our position on matters of public interest, including our efforts to achieve certain of our environmental and social goals, often differ widely and present risks to our reputation and brands.

Whoopsie!!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What are the management issues with DCL? I thought it was being run well and doing a good job financially. Perhaps I'm mistaken?
Not there aren't issues with DCL (higher pricing, stale menus, design flaws with the Wish and Treasure, as examples), but overall it's been a bright spot for DPEP in the past 12-18 months.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
@_caleb

Hey, Bub…they’re not making money in streaming…and it’s gonna get worse if they don’t plow BILLIONS into programming they’ve already announced they won’t do…

…and it’s 35 days till that “magic” 2024 profit starts rolling in…

$5 a quarter 😎

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not there aren't issues with DCL (higher pricing, stale menus, design flaws with the Wish and Treasure, as examples), but overall it's been a bright spot for DPEP in the past 12-18 months.
Oh it has…based on realities that don’t make sense

I’ll remind a year ago wdw attendance would NEVER decline in a strong economy…

…then math overpowered the spoken word

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
@_caleb

Hey, Bub…they’re not making money in streaming…and it’s gonna get worse if they don’t plow BILLIONS into programming they’ve already announced they won’t do…

$5 a quarter 😎
Oh, I'm afraid the profits won't start rolling in until Q4 2024. You must have missed the memo. But then... WATCH OUT!!! D+ will be an unprecedented juggernaut that will transform TWDC as nothing has before!!!

_caleb

Those who have
@_caleb

Hey, Bub…they’re not making money in streaming…and it’s gonna yet worse if they don’t plow BILLIONS into programming they’ve already announced they won’t do…

$5 a quarter 😎
Huh? The target for profitability is the end of 2024, not Jan 1.

We all know they're spending big and not making money.

_caleb

Oh, I'm afraid the profits won't start rolling in until Q4 2024. You must have missed the memo. But then... WATCH OUT!!! D+ will be an unprecedented juggernaut that will transform TWDC as nothing has before!!!
Profitable just means getting out more money than they're putting in, you know.

I'm not sure they're going to be able to do it by the end of this year, but they're still operating according to the plan they laid out at the start of the DTC pivot.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

I'm not sure they're going to be able to do it by the end of this year, but they're still operating according to the plan they laid out at the start of the DTC pivot.
I'm aware.

And I agree. I won't be convinced until next November's annual report.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

You mean the one where they “far exceeded their projections”?

Oh right…”bad subscriptions”…all the people wanting to pay $50 a month with Palmolive ads saturating were “waiting”…

Yeah

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Those who have

Huh? The target for profitability is the end of 2024, not Jan 1.

We all know they're spending big and not making money.
What exactly magically will happen in 2024 to flip the switch?

There’s never an answer for that (because there isn’t one)…but it seems clear how they’re gonna spin it. It’s been telegraphed.

JD80

Higher profitable subscriptions are going up, ad tiers are kicking off, hulu integration beginning.

DTC losses are trending down significantly.

All pretty good signs their goals are within plan.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Higher profitable subscriptions are going up, ad tiers are kicking off, hulu integration beginning.

DTC losses are trending down significantly.

All pretty good signs their goals are within plan.
Let’s take your assertion as 100% valid and that Disney+ breaks even, better yet eeks out a profit sometime in FY 2024.

Does anyone expect that profit to be earth shattering? Does anyone expect D+ to be a continuing profit center with solid revenues going into the foreseeable future, as some had hoped?

Or does D+ hang around as a division that flounders in the middle depending on the quarter?

Does anyone think D+ can ever make back all that which was lost since its inception? Subscribers have peaked, subscriber pricing is maxed out, leaving the only factor affecting arpu being ad revenue, which doesn’t sound promising with stagnant subscriber numbers and low rated shows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom