News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Skywise

Strategic Alternatives just entered the DIS lexicon yesterday with Star India. Are more Strategic Alternatives to come?
So Apple gives Disney a buncha cash.
Iger uses that to payoff Universal and buyout Hulu.
Iger then shutters Hulu and Disney+ and licenses the entire catalog to AppleTV (maybe not the entire catalog but a good chunk of it) for more cash infusion.

That recenters Disney as a content creator along with the theme parks and Apple essentially funds it all.

Cliff

Walt could never run a company like this.

Don’t believe me?

Ask around.
Walt would never "want" to run a company the way Disney is today. He would have hit the breaks on MANY things the company has done.

If there is a Heaven and if Walt is up there looking down at this corporation with his name on it....I'm certain he is crying hard at what he sees.

This company has "nothing" to do with "Walt Disney" and what he stood for any more.....nothing.

Nubs70

Walt would never "want" to run a company the way Disney is today. He would have hit the breaks on MANY things the company has done.

If there is a Heaven and if Walt is up there looking down at this corporation with his name on it....I'm certain he is crying hard at what he sees.

This company has "nothing" to do with "Walt Disney" and what he stood for any more.....nothing.

This is exactly why the CEO needs to be the leader of the conglomerate and quit pretending to creative face of a single division.

MerlinTheGoat

tumblr_npaac49aZU1rwfctbo1_1280.gif

PREMiERdrum

Reading the tea leaves and decoding the scuttlebutt...

The company is not ripe currently for a total takeover / buyout.
The numbers don't work out on the divisions that could be most easily sold off (ESPN, ABC, streaming).
Of the divisions most severely underperforming (Production, D+, P&R), only one can react and correct in a relatively short timeframe: The parks.

As I understand it, there are some levers that they are prepared to pull to increase volume at a lower margin. Earlier in this downturn, there were at least some on the inside hoping stories of lower crowd levels would give them a boost. As we all would expect that has completely backfired, instead increasing awareness and elevating discussion of all the current offering's shortcomings.

In relatively short order I'd expect some combination of the following:
- Restructuring of elements and cost of a package.
- Value adds for onsite guests (MDE, some form of free/discounted dining [as they've already tinkered with])
- Quick, dirty, and marketable additions (how quickly can MSEP be duct taped back together and shipped over)
- Amping up excitement for construction of the next additions (Beyond Big Thunder?)... maybe visible clearing and fencing, no matter if they're actually going to carry thru on the project.

They've fully missed the window to quietly adjust and correct. Anything they do now will be big and obvious, but they do have enough tools in their belt to at least juice attendance a bit... even if they aren't getting at the fundamental problems.

Buckle up.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Josh is probably next.

This has to mean Josh is gone.
Very little doubt

He’s gonna get wrapped up in declining park numbers - with veiled references to chapek - and purged when the numbers hit…

It makes sense why he’s still around

I’ll go kreskin on this too: “major” reorganization will be rolled out under the cloud of abyssmal box office performance to at least one studio division…maybe two?

A couple of obvious guesses…

CaptainMickey

Apple is not know for a history of big acquisitions. Beats was there largest at $3 billion. I think Intel modem business was their only other purchase over $1 billion ever. Even at todays low market price of $165 billion that would be their largest acquisition by a mile.
But why? If apple just wants the content for their service, they have plenty of cash to work out a deal for all the content they want. Apple is a company very focused on it's core products. They don't seem very interested in divesting into lower margin businesses they don't have any expertise in. Apple shareholders would probably be the main ones that would kill the deal. Then add regulators, and Disney shareholders, especially if the offer is low. Anything is possible, but there would be a lot of headwinds for a Disney/Apple deal.
A merger with Netflix still actually makes more sense.

GimpYancIent

Very little doubt

He’s gonna get wrapped up in declining park numbers - with veiled references to chapek - and purged when the numbers hit…

I’ll go kreskin on this too: “major” reorganization will be rolled out under the cloud of abyssmal box office performance to at least one studio division…maybe two?

A couple of obvious guesses…
Old saying but still valid! in B.I's case.
1689212360887.png

Splash4eva

Apple is not know for a history of big acquisitions. Beats was there largest at $3 billion. I think Intel modem business was their only other purchase over $1 billion ever. Even at todays low market price of $165 billion that would be their largest acquisition by a mile.
But why? If apple just wants the content for their service, they have plenty of cash to work out a deal for all the content they want. Apple is a company very focused on it's core products. They don't seem very interested in divesting into lower margin businesses they don't have any expertise in. Apple shareholders would probably be the main ones that would kill the deal. Then add regulators, and Disney shareholders, especially if the offer is low. Anything is possible, but there would be a lot of headwinds for a Disney/Apple deal.
A merger with Netflix still actually makes more sense.
As an Apple shareholder i want no part of this mess unless i get it the entire company
As a Disney shareholder i would love to have Apple take whatever they want for a fair price

CaptainMickey

As an Apple shareholder i want no part of this mess unless i get it the entire company
As a Disney shareholder i would love to have Apple take whatever they want for a fair price
I agree, I meant Apple could LICENCE all the content they want from Disney and not purchase anything or worry about the headache of running it. They could even have them make some exclusive stuff for Apple+ or whatever. Why buy the cow if you can get some milk for cheap.

JoeCamel

Very little doubt

So it's a given tight pants is on the block but the bigger question might be who will replace him and will they have the pull and desire to "fix" the parks....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom