News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As long as Bob tells them he will hang around.
👆🏻👆🏻
$110/share? Still way too high, and the optimism is overblown. The Bob's have damaged their precious "brand" with their quest for unending profit increases.
I put that for two reasons:

1. Five days ago…the fool MLess-29 was decreeing “buy! Buy! Buy!” Because it was going to $150…obviously reading the amateur finance blog on Reddit
2. Any “valuation” or “projection” of financial analysts have to be washed with truth serum
…cause remember: everything will go way up…cause everyone will be rich…cause no one ever loses in the “free market”

Nubs70

So the stock hasn’t been this low since 2014. How long are the major investors and the board really going to let Iger hang around? What’s the floor - $75? $70? $65? Because just putting his presence back at TWDC HQ clearly hasn’t been enough to sway the street - and what happens when the dividend doesn’t come back?
Just something to think about in regards to PE ratio. Back in the good old.days of 2015 to 2019, the PE ratio was about 15, signifying that growth was out as far as the eye could see. The PE ratio is now around 60.

What does that say about the state of things?? DIS is wildly overpriced for its current performance. Either the current stock price needs to fall by 75% or earnings need to grow by 400% or some combination of both.

I can now see why Bob is rather glum.

Disstevefan1

The end of Disney is upon us
IgerTheDestroyer.jpg

mightynine

I do wonder how Iger will fix an issue he created, in my opinion.

- Everyone was happy to cash the rights checks from Netflix
- Iger decides Disney should make that money directly
- All other media is like "Hey, we should do that too because we'll all make Netflix money"
- The pandemic artificially boosts all their streaming efforts
- Meanwhile, media companies let their linear TV channels die on the vine with endless marathons and reruns and hardly any new content, which leads to.....
- People cancel cable because why do I need Freeform to watch Hocus Pocus or TNT to play the Marvel movies when it's right there on D+ with no commercials and better quality, for example
- The bottom drops out on the linear TV business without nearly enough revenue coming in from streaming to replace it
- Now the only things remaining on linear that actually get eyeballs are some of the most expensive (sports) because the leagues drove up the prices into the stratosphere and people will absolutely balk at paying $30 for ESPN as a standalone service
- Now they end up simulcasting a bunch of the things on cable on broadcast (like Monday Night Football) because how the heck are we going to get enough eyeballs on this stuff to justify our ad rates and not look like we're losing viewers on one outlet
- Oh, and you still need to make new content regularly to justify someone subbing or staying a sub, but you built your service on pillars that aren't exactly cheap to pull off
- Also Wall Street now actually cares about you making money on this stuff, not your land grab stats

I don't envy Iger or any media CEO because not one of them knows the answer yet. Raising prices on your streaming product just puts people right back where they were with cable - and even worse for the companies, but not for the consumer, it's never been easier to dump a service when you don't need it in a few clicks.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just something to think about in regards to PE ratio. Back in the good old.days of 2015 to 2019, the PE ratio was about 15, signifying that growth was out as far as the eye could see. The PE ratio is now around 60.

What does that say about the state of things?? DIS is wildly overpriced for its current performance. Either the current stock price needs to fall by 75% or earnings need to grow by 400% or some combination of both.

I can now see why Bob is rather glum.
Because his “legacy strategy” began to collapse about 7 years ago…he had the out to avoid it, took it…and then in the worst moment of his life engineered a really tacky “comeback” and rebought the whole thing?

…just off the top of my head 🤯

fgmnt

- All other media is like "Hey, we should do that too because we'll all make Netflix money"
- Meanwhile, media companies let their linear TV channels die on the vine with endless marathons and reruns and hardly any new content, which leads to.....
- People cancel cable because why do I need Freeform to watch Hocus Pocus or TNT to play the Marvel movies when it's right there on D+ with no commercials and better quality, for example
- The bottom drops out on the linear TV business without nearly enough revenue coming in from streaming to replace it
- Now the only things remaining on linear that actually get eyeballs are some of the most expensive (sports) because the leagues drove up the prices into the stratosphere and people will absolutely balk at paying $30 for ESPN as a standalone service
- Now they end up simulcasting a bunch of the things on cable on broadcast (like Monday Night Football) because how the heck are we going to get enough eyeballs on this stuff to justify our ad rates and not look like we're losing viewers on one outlet
- Oh, and you still need to make new content regularly to justify someone subbing or staying a sub, but you built your service on pillars that aren't exactly cheap to pull off
- Also Wall Street now actually cares about you making money on this stuff, not your land grab stats

I don't envy Iger or any media CEO because not one of them knows the answer yet. Raising prices on your streaming product just puts people right back where they were with cable - and even worse for the companies, but not for the consumer, it's never been easier to dump a service when you don't need it in a few clicks.
This really annoying thing happened to companies in the last 2 years; the Fed cut off the money printer and investors suddenly remembered they want the green number to be bigger than the red number. Bob the Elder built the stock value of Disney over the 10 years pre-covid, Bob the Lesser came out and said to treat The Walt Disney Company like a tech stock, and then the smoke and mirrors promptly got revealed.

There is still a lot of value in the intellectual property and physical assets that make up the profit sources of the Walt Disney Company but that value is not infinite and gets chipped away every quarter the current management trades in the public goodwill built by predecessors to cover up their naked pursuit of short term gains over long term sustainability.

I felt a shift in the winds on the public perception of Bob Iger when the jaded sentiment towards parks operations started to break containment out of enthusiast circles into the general public. How he is managing the strikes and how poorly the Marvel and Star Wars properties have done recently definitely might endanger his legacy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

This really annoying thing happened to companies in the last 2 years; the Fed cut off the money printer and investors suddenly remembered they want the green number to be bigger than the red number. Bob the Elder built the stock value of Disney over the 10 years pre-covid, Bob the Lesser came out and said to treat The Walt Disney Company like a tech stock, and then the smoke and mirrors promptly got revealed.

There is still a lot of value in the intellectual property and physical assets that make up the profit sources of the Walt Disney Company but that value is not infinite and gets chipped away every quarter the current management trades in the public goodwill built by predecessors to cover up their naked pursuit of short term gains over long term sustainability.

I felt a shift in the winds on the public perception of Bob Iger when the jaded sentiment towards parks operations started to break containment out of enthusiast circles into the general public. How he is managing the strikes and how poorly the Marvel and Star Wars properties have done recently definitely might endanger his legacy.
Thank you…I truly enjoyed these…some of the best posts ever 👍🏻

Tha Realest

Another data point on the D+ stuff- this seems like a need to juice the subscriber numbers over the next few months.

It’s a little odd the D+ division is giving away this content for free they’re paying the other side of the house roughly $200M over the next week (TLM and Elemental streaming rights payoff) but things must be desperate.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Another data point on the D+ stuff- this seems like a need to juice the subscriber numbers over the next few months.

It’s a little odd the D+ division is giving away this content for free they’re paying the other side of the house roughly $200M over the next week (TLM and Elemental streaming rights payoff) but things must be desperate.

That is 100% a shell game

“Paying” for internal content

It’s gambling…and it has to work

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom