News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Tha Realest

The inherent problem with ESPN is it doesn’t own the media being consumed- it’s merely a gateway. Those rights deals become more and more expensive and it doesn’t make sense for the leagues or the conferences to pay a middle man. Especially as stuff like NFL Sunday Ticket and packages get decoupled altogether from ESPN and cable.

el_super

The inherent problem with ESPN is it doesn’t own the media being consumed- it’s merely a gateway.

A lot of their content is licensed yes, but they do produce their own commentary, have their own production staff and on-air talent. It could happen that the leagues go straight to consumer at some point in time, but the setup costs are huge and I don't think any individual league could pull off the variety of ESPN.

Jrb1979

A lot of their content is licensed yes, but they do produce their own commentary, have their own production staff and on-air talent. It could happen that the leagues go straight to consumer at some point in time, but the setup costs are huge and I don't think any individual league could pull off the variety of ESPN.
Most people don't care or want to watch the commentary shows or SportsCenter.

CinematicFusion

Simple: people still want to watch sports. As long as they want the product that ESPN is selling, they will make money.
Who wants ESPN? No one I know watches it. People sign up for mlb network, nfl network, nba pass.
I don’t see how espn is revenant anymore, it’s been terrible for some time now.

We will see. People will always watch sports but sports does not equal ESPN in today’s changing market.

CinematicFusion

Simple: people still want to watch sports. As long as they want the product that ESPN is selling, they will make money.
“ESPN is expensive in the cable realm, and indeed there are other ominous rumblings in the report. Namely that if a significant amount of new content is secured from the NFL, NBA, and MBL, the price of the new ESPN streaming offering could even rise above $35 monthly.

Yikes, in a word. That really would put the gold into the proverbial golden goose. Again, both the pricing and partnership negotiations are still in their relatively early days, but still – this has to be a concern for streaming fans.”

So potentially more then 35.00 if espn carries NFL,NBA,MBL (the sports the majority of people care about and where the money is made)

CinematicFusion

Movie side of Disney is in trouble. No one is watching Disney made movies. It’s like a large target market gave up on Disney producing quality entertainment.

1. Haunted Mansion’s Box Office Numbers Are Rather Grim​

After nearly a month in theaters the 2023 theatrical reboot of The Haunted Mansion has done rather poorly at the worldwide box office. On an estimated budget on $150 million (plus another estimated $150 million for marketing), the film has only grossed $86 million ($60 million domestic and $26 million internationally).

2. The Little Mermaid's box office haul comes in far lower than that of its live-action remake peers, many of which have grossed over $1 billion:
  • The Lion King: $1.66 billion
  • Alladin: $1.05 billion
  • Beauty and the Beast: $1.27 billion
  • The Little Mermaid: $567.51 million
Naturally, many of these high-grossing remakes have raked in massive profits - according to figures from Deadline - however, The Little Mermaid, unfortunately, won't be joining the ranks of these monster successes.

3. Indiana Jones was a major disappointment.

Last edited:

Stellajack

We really enjoyed Disney's The Haunted Mansion. Having said that, unless moviegoers to The Haunted Mansion had actually ridden a doom buggy through the Mansion, they very likely would not have understood the movie at all. We have talked with several Disney fans who feel this way. The movie is senseless and dull without the background information. "Beware hitchhiking ghosts who follow you home!" is precisely what happened in the movie. It doesn't take many poor reviews to cause folks to forego this movie.

UNCgolf

Who wants ESPN? No one I know watches it. People sign up for mlb network, nfl network, nba pass.

We will see. People will always watch sports but sports does not equal ESPN in today’s changing market.

A lot of people want ESPN -- especially college football and basketball fans.

Of course, it's not that they want ESPN specifically, but that they want the ability to watch their teams and a lot of those rights are with ESPN so that's where they have to go. The ACC and SEC Networks are connected to ESPN as well.

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

SEC football fans will in the fall

ChrisFL

Premium Member
2 strikes that can be resolved on Monday and get Disney back to producing content.

I guarantee that I could make Disney more money than Iger. But that’s not saying much lol.
I have a stupid question, wouldn't the other studios have to also go along with the demands, or can Disney unilaterally decide to honor them? (and hopefully the other studios would follow)

TrainsOfDisney

I have a stupid question, wouldn't the other studios have to also go along with the demands, or can Disney unilaterally decide to honor them? (and hopefully the other studios would follow)
Disney can decide to do whatever they want. There are lower budget studios that are filming right now because they agreed to what the actors and writers want.

Nothing stopping anyone except for greed and control.

MagicHappens1971

It would be a great look for the writers and actors. Who cares what universal thinks of Disney? Haha.

Heck… the best talent and writers are looking for work…. Disney should sign them up fast!
I want the best for the actors and writers, I just mean that if Disney left the AMPTP, it is basically a chip against the bargaining power of the AMPTP.

I think if one of the studios did leave and reached a fair and equitable agreement with SAG & WGA the other big studios would fall in line

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom