News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Tha Realest

Within the context of TODAY, DIS experienced price decreases that matched what other large companies and the S&P experienced today.

I’m not happy with how TWDC is run and shudder to think what will happen in the coming years, but today was not a day where they were an outlier.
“It’s just one bad day.”

So how do you explain the 5D/month/6mo/YTD/5Yr comparisons being absolutely dreadful compared to S&P/other streamers/media companies of comparable size/scope?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s been a down two years for Disney starting in Feb 2021 when it was 189.00
ESPN is considering charging between $20 and $35 a month for the new streaming service, which could make it the most expensive streaming service in the U.S.

Amazon in talks to stream ESPN and become a minority partner with Disney
Espn generated pretty much half their profits for 15 years…and has been collapsing for the last 15.

I’m willing to bet at least 50% of semi-hardo Disney fans don’t understand that at all.

It really affects everything…

Tha Realest

Espn generated pretty much half their profits for 15 years…and has been collapsing for the last 15.

I’m willing to bet at least 50% of semi-hardo Disney fans don’t understand that at all.

It really affects everything…
And live sports rights (NFL, NBA, CFB) are getting increasingly expensive while at the same time the channels/networks revenue streams are increasingly unreliable.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And live sports rights (NFL, NBA, CFB) are getting increasingly expensive while at the same time the channels/networks revenue streams are increasingly unreliable.
Well espn was the king of cable

But cable continues to collapse because of the customization/localization that streams can offer…

ESPN has little value anymore. It’s never gonna recover/rebound. The tech changed and that makes it kinda like Kodak

Basil of Baker Street

Well espn was the king of cable

But cable continues to collapse because of the customization/localization that streams can offer…

ESPN has little value anymore. It’s never gonna recover/rebound. The tech changed and that makes it kinda like Kodak
And this $30/month ESPN subscription that has been floating around is going to be a hard sell. I guess that is why we are hearing Bezos' name entering the mix for a partnership.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's completely crazy if that is true. I can't imagine even a quarter of their subscribers stay at that price.
Frankly it’s barely worth the $10 I pay just for hockey part of the year…

“programming” has almost zero DTC value in sports. It’s only games/specific teams that can draw year over year

LSLS

Frankly it’s barely worth the $10 I pay just for hockey part of the year…

“programming” has almost zero DTC value in sports. It’s only games/specific teams that can draw year over year
Agreed. Honestly I've debated if I want it for the season this year with the threats of shutting down sharing accounts. Not sure it's worth it for 6 months a year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bob’s really become a lightning rod in all of this

I actually think there is a bit of a Hollywood cabal there

Both in amongst the major studio players and between Disney shareholders and Iger

Disney shareholders - especially institutional and fund managers - are heavily invested in other tech/entertainment.

It only makes sense there’s a bit of a United front here

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
ESPN was the lifeblood of Disney. Nothing replaces that revenue stream
And that’s a big part of the management story for Disney for 30 years

Everyone thought Eisner was nuts buying Capitol cities…but the ESPN buy worked beyond his wildest dreams 95-2010

Since…Iger reaped profits as they crescendoed…but obviously didn’t know how to navigate the fall.

I don’t blame him…If he didn’t know, literally no one could have

But their tentative move to stream was twofold:
1. They wanted to suck every penny out of old costs with cable. Sound familiar in parks these days?
2. They don’t buy the stream profits either. It’s a sales pitch to investors. If they knew the money was there…they wouldn’t have waited so long to get in the game. Same goes for the other studios

Easy money draws like bugs to a light. “Wait and see?” Is a gigantic red flag

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom