News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

CinematicFusion

Not really.

To buy the company? And then do what?

Give writers and directors everything they are asking for to end the strike?
Increase the cost of Disney+ to cover the new production costs?
Build a time machine to make TV relevant again?
Outsource entertainment production to China?
Require Apple IDs to enter the park?
Tv will never be relevant again. Linear tv is dead along with those profits.

Companies are always looking for value.
Maybe Disney sells off Pixar or ESPN if a company like Apple can see the benefit.
Maybe they can’t.

erasure fan1

LOL.

This attack the mouse at all costs shtick is running on fumes.

The writing is on the wall.
I'd love to go back to my defend Disney time. But what am I supposed to defend? The park experience? Nope. The food quality? Nope. All the great attractions that are coming? Nope. The live action remakes? Nope. How about all the great star wars films that are coming? Nope. When there is something that I find good, I support it, I give Disney their props.

I don't see a lot of bashing Disney for things that don't deserve it. I do see a lot of supporting Disney for things that are obviously bad. Go back to the strange world thread where it was called a resounding success. People can like it, that's fine. But it wasn't a success in any way. I'd say there's more blind defense than bashing.

CinematicFusion

They did see this coming. That's why Disney+ is a thing. They knew cable wasn't going to be around forever.
Disney's streaming operation lost $512 million in the most-recent quarter, the company said, bringing total streaming losses since 2019, when Disney+ was introduced, to more than $11 billion. Disney+ lost roughly 11.7 million subscribers worldwide in the three months that ended July 1, for a new total of 146.1 million.Aug 9, 2023

JoeCamel

Disney's streaming operation lost $512 million in the most-recent quarter, the company said, bringing total streaming losses since 2019, when Disney+ was introduced, to more than $11 billion. Disney+ lost roughly 11.7 million subscribers worldwide in the three months that ended July 1, for a new total of 146.1 million.Aug 9, 2023
I heard these same concerns about Netflix back when they were inventing the model and today they are the big dog. Easy to be a big dog if you are the only dog but now the pack is many. Tough to be the new dog

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Your analysis of D+ is lacking nuance:

Disney+

Domestic subs ARPU is $7.31.
Domestic subs decreased by 300,000 (a 0.6% decline).
Monthly loss of revenue: $2.2M

International subs ARPU (excluding India) is $6.01.
International subs increased by 1,100,000.
Monthly increase of revenue: $13.2M

India subs ARPU is $0.59.
India subs decreased by 12,500,000.
Monthly loss of revenue: $7.4M

=================

Total increase of monthly revenue = $13.2 - $2.2 - $7.4 = $3.6M increased revenue per month.

Subscription fee revenue went *up*.

============

Additionally,
  • Disney is also getting ad money for the ad-supported tier
  • the sub fee of D+ is going to go up, and those that won't pay the increase can switch to the ad-supported tier
  • the ad-supported sub brings in more money than those paying the premium price
  • when Hulu is fully integrated into D+, the bundle can easily rival Netflix's much higher sub fee
  • If D+Hulu was charging Netflix's premium sub fee right now, it'd be throwing a profit, too

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Don’t forget “far outpacing” their subscriber goals

So if you have way more…you make money, right?

Or you don’t…so you decree high fees, bundling and ads are the key…

Which means we just teleported back to 1991…

Yo…VIP…let’s kick it!!
I heard these same concerns about Netflix back when they were inventing the model and today they are the big dog. Easy to be a big dog if you are the only dog but now the pack is many. Tough to be the new dog
Is that like: “never argue with the big dog cause the big dog is always right?”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The problem is not if Disney+ can make money…it can

The problem is it cannot make continuously higher amounts of money with no price ceiling and less costs…

Which is what Bob has sold Wall Street and himself for far too long. The flaw in that is more apparent everyday

He’s a one trick dog. Which is now chasing his tail

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

Like $108 a share since 2021 kinda “down day”?

…what is your point?
Within the context of TODAY, DIS experienced price decreases that matched what other large companies and the S&P experienced today.

I’m not happy with how TWDC is run and shudder to think what will happen in the coming years, but today was not a day where they were an outlier.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Within the context of TODAY, DIS experienced price decreases that matched what other large companies and the S&P experienced today.

I’m not happy with how TWDC is run and shudder to think what will happen in the coming years, but today was not a day where they were an outlier.
Ok cool

Take a look at the link I just posted…it’s pretty straightforward.

The larger picture is Disney is underperforming the market and all it’s “competitors”…in both media and tech

This isn’t “going away” and sweater boy is powerless to do anything.

What is he gonna do? Fire more people, cut more budgets, and raise prices on products already being rejected for costing too much and declining in quality?

Good luck on that front

Last edited:

Tha Realest

Ok cool

Take a look at the link I just posted…it’s pretty straightforward.

The larger picture is Disney is underperforming the market and all it’s “competitors”…in both media and tech

This isn’t “going away” and sweater boy is powerless to do anything.

What is he gonna do? Fire more people, cut more budgets, and raise prices on products already being rejected for costing too much and declining in quality?

Good luck on that front
Let’s not forget we’re in the middle of a months’ long strike and it’s completely shut down the content Farm those streamers need to stop churn. Though, to be fair, Disney’s content has cost the company a lot of money with little in return, so maybe that’s a blessing in disguise.

At any rate, we’ll see how customers respond to rate hikes and ads for stale content.

Basil of Baker Street

Asked genuinely, in hopes to make this conversation more constructive.

What could Disney do now, that would improve the stock value? What does Disney need to do asap, tomorrow, this month, to see gains?
Flip these numbers

Attachments

• 53abc0cfb2ec6a129618e54d7a4e7b67.png
    53abc0cfb2ec6a129618e54d7a4e7b67.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 54

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom