News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

JD80

If they are considering Josh, I’d expect a shift in role sooner than later, to give him some more experiences.

With Movie/TV budgets exploding and returns not where they want them to be, and the streets demand for better Park futures, I wonder if that creates momentum for Josh to be even more heavily considered. Pressure from the street can really propel someone forward.

I'm ignoring qualification. I have no idea if he's qualified or not, or what the immense job of Disney CEO requires either so I can't judge either way.

Lilofan

Not here to debate Josh as a person.

Just stating that if it’s true the board is considering him, I’d expect a shift of roles would be our first tell.
A parks exec eventually running an entertainment company? That's not what the Board is looking for hence the Iger extension again and again . Whatever the case, Iger will pocket $60M more over the next 2 years.

JD80

A parks exec eventually running an entertainment company? That's not what the Board is looking for hence the Iger extension again and again . Whatever the case, Iger will pocket $60M more over the next 2 years.

You could ask the question, regarding the future of the Disney company, is it an experience company or a content company? If it's experiences (parks, cruises, VR/AR, whatever) then a Parks person could be the right type of person. If it's still going to be a conventional content/entertainment company with movies and programming then sure your point is a good one.

But is the future of the company in movies/tv shows with how the landscape of entertainment is these days?

GimpYancIent

Bob did too.
Yes, per The Hollywood Insider: " Disney CEO Bob Iger and Star Wars composer John Williams are the latest Hollywood industry members to receive an honorary knighthood. The honor grants both entertainment titans with the title of KBE, which is more formally known as Knight Commander of the Civil Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire. Bestowed by Queen Elizabeth II, who died on Sept. 7 at the age of 96, Iger and Williams are just two among a larger 2022 class of approved honorary British awards."

FettFan

Yes, per The Hollywood Insider: " Disney CEO Bob Iger and Star Wars composer John Williams are the latest Hollywood industry members to receive an honorary knighthood. The honor grants both entertainment titans with the title of KBE, which is more formally known as Knight Commander of the Civil Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire. Bestowed by Queen Elizabeth II, who died on Sept. 7 at the age of 96, Iger and Williams are just two among a larger 2022 class of approved honorary British awards."

kdX7UC.gif

Lilofan

well….on the bright side of things, if you don’t currently own Disney stock, but are optimistic for a long-range turnaround (aka, adding to your portfolio and willing to hold it for 15-20 years) now might be your chance.
Some who bought real estate in spring summer 2009 at stressed prices and bought big into the markets late March 2009/ early April 2009 when many post their jobs and or homes has made tremendous profits

GimpYancIent

well….on the bright side of things, if you don’t currently own Disney stock, but are optimistic for a long-range turnaround (aka, adding to your portfolio and willing to hold it for 15-20 years) now might be your chance.
All depends on the point of view. Investors such as hedge funds dump stocks that do not perform to cut losses.

MR.Dis

Well if there is any good news it is some of the initial takes on the movie "Haunted Mansion" are very positive. Maybe this could be a hit that no one saw coming. I am sure Bob is hoping so.

UNCgolf

Well if there is any good news it is some of the initial takes on the movie "Haunted Mansion" are very positive. Maybe this could be a hit that no one saw coming. I am sure Bob is hoping so.

That's actually vaguely worrisome from a theme park standpoint, in that they might decide they need to "update" the ride to add things from the movie like they did with Pirates.

Last edited:

Trauma

Haunted Mansion

Walt Disney Pictures

July 28, 2023 (WIDE)

Opening Weekend Range: $22M-$37M​

Domestic Total Range: $73M-$131M​

PROS:

• Based on the classic theme park attraction at Walt Disney World, Haunted Mansion will have built-in awareness among families that could prove advantageous. Disney’s prior adaptation, The Haunted Mansion with Eddie Murphy, posted $75.9 million in its 2003 domestic run.
  • A strong ensemble cast and comedic approach are drivers in positive early buzz, with trailers generating healthy online sentiment.
  • Pre-sales have only begun and will not truly pop until closer to release, but worth nothing is that’s its first day of activity lagged only 11 percent behind Jungle Cruise‘s first day of sales in sample markets.
  • Minimal direct competition leading into release could elevate demand among family moviegoers.
CONS:

• Disney has struggled to recover its full share of the pre-pandemic theatrical audience, due in large part to the company’s brief-but-impactful focus on streaming launches for family titles during the height of Covid-19.
  • If Barbie manages to take off with women and families beyond its strongly hypedopening weekend, that may put a ceiling on Haunted Mansion‘s ability to soar. The male-driven Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem will also be a factor when it opens one week later on August 2.
  • Given the dearth of family-friendly titles on the theatrical slate this fall, the argument could be made that this film would be better positioned with a release in September or October when it could benefit from proximity to Halloween.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom