News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Yeah…it’s been like this around here:

View attachment 730125
1689373672376.gif

Robbiem

Does anyone know how much Disney’s increased value is due to growth and how much is due to amalgamation?

if you strip out the acquisitions like fox, marvel, pixar etc how much has the pre Iger elements of Disney grown?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Does anyone know how much Disney’s increased value is due to growth and how much is due to amalgamation?

if you strip out the acquisitions like fox, marvel, pixar etc how much has the pre Iger elements of Disney grown?
Well…I don’t know if it matters…but when Iger was stashed in Mikey’s old office…the Dow was 10,000 flat and yesterday 34,500

The S&P you say? 1,100 then…4,500 yesterday.

Turns our money people always convince each other they’re worth more tomorrow - no matter what.

I believe the term is “systemic”

Br0ckford

Well…I don’t know if it matters…but when Iger was stashed in Mikey’s old office…the Dow was 10,000 flat and yesterday 34,500

The S&P you say? 1,100 then…4,500 yesterday.

Turns our money people always convince each other they’re worth more tomorrow - no matter what.

I believe the term is “systemic”
I thought is was "synergistic " are we done with that one now that they are looking to sell off parts?

SamusAranX

The biggest parts of the 20CF acquisition, as I understood it at the time, was the stake in Star India and the film catalogue.

They’ve done nothing with the latter (excepting Avatar) and are now told the Indian streaming market is comprised of undesirables.
That and now they have full access to most of marvels catalogue. But they should have just bought the rights

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The biggest parts of the 20CF acquisition, as I understood it at the time, was the stake in Star India and the film catalogue.

They’ve done nothing with the latter (excepting Avatar) and are now told the Indian streaming market is comprised of undesirables.
Avatar is Lightstorm…so Disney collects nice distribution and partial financing Fees…

But beyond that? What was the point? Did they even check the catalogue?

They got rights to the original Star Wars…which they have systematically taken morning dump on before the buy and after…

But what else? Some MCU stuff that “problematic” on a good day?

Stupid move. All on you, Bob

TalkingHead

Movie business is in total disarray. Disney’s recipe for blockbusters is unsustainable, and the less said about their creative approach, the better. They can’t attract the general audience that defined their brand for decades.

The movie productions link to streaming and the synergy with the parks. Those things become shakier if the movie business isn’t churning out reliable hits.

So you ask yourself would someone extend their contract in this environment? The media Disney specializes in has been devalued across the board. The phrase lger keeps using to describe his contract extension is “transformative work.” Given where movies are, have to think that includes major changes beyond ESPN, ABC, etc. Iger’s never taken to the parks and resorts business the way his predecessors did. Do the math and odds are three years from now the company looks vastly different than it does today.

flyerjab

Avatar is Lightstorm…so Disney collects nice distribution and partial financing Fees…

But beyond that? What was the point? Did they even check the catalogue?

They got rights to the original Star Wars…which they have systematically taken morning dump on before the buy and after…

But what else? Some MCU stuff that “problematic” on a good day?

Stupid move. All on you, Bob
Yeah, I never understood this move. The Fox purchase was odd. Was this to simply beef up their content on Disney+? I can’t see any other reason for this. Hindsight for what it’s worth, this was not a well-thought out maneuver by Bob. Overpaying for content to add to a streaming service. And wow, has the industry underestimated the potential profitability of streaming services. Flood the market with them and look what happens when you are not Netflix.

The other issue with Disney+ is their own content. Kept as a more family centric streamer, it limits their viewing audience to young families or older folks for the nostalgia of a bygone era. This forces Disney to lean way too much on the Marvel and Star Wars franchises. In return, too much Marvel created the issue of having to watch everything to stay connected to the overall universe of characters and interconnected storylines…this becomes more work than enjoyment at this point. And as far as Star Wars goes, I have no idea where to start with this colossal flop. No cogent direction, and too much concern for Easter eggs instead of plot (that’s why Andor was by far the best addition to the SW catalogue…truly original take, fresh ideas, amazing dialogue and acting l, with only some hidden references). I had hope that Happy Hogan and the cowpoke would turn this around after the first season of the Mandalorian. But so much of what the have been focusing on is rehashing their animated characters, or playing fan service for things like Babu Frik. No thanks.

And adding the Fox catalogue to this has done nothing for them at this point.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah, I never understood this move. The Fox purchase was odd. Was this to simply beef up their content on Disney+? I can’t see any other reason for this. Hindsight for what it’s worth, this was not a well-thought out maneuver by Bob. Overpaying for content to add to a streaming service. And wow, has the industry underestimated the potential profitability of streaming services. Flood the market with them and look what happens when you are not Netflix.

The other issue with Disney+ is their own content. Kept as a more family centric streamer, it limits their viewing audience to young families or older folks for the nostalgia of a bygone era. This forces Disney to lean way too much on the Marvel and Star Wars franchises. In return, too much Marvel created the issue of having to watch everything to stay connected to the overall universe of characters and interconnected storylines…this becomes more work than enjoyment at this point. And as far as Star Wars goes, I have no idea where to start with this colossal flop. No cogent direction, and too much concern for Easter eggs instead of plot (that’s why Andor was by far the best addition to the SW catalogue…truly original take, fresh ideas, amazing dialogue and acting l, with only some hidden references). I had hope that Happy Hogan and the cowpoke would turn this around after the first season of the Mandalorian. But so much of what the have been focusing on is rehashing their animated characters, or playing fan service for things like Babu Frik. No thanks.

And adding the Fox catalogue to this has done nothing for them at this point.
Well the story was - no real reason to doubt it - that Comcast and Disney started a peeing match, the Murdochs turned the screws, Iger bit and Brian Roberts said “psych”

Roberts is very savvy…and has history around Disney from years ago…

I think he just goaded them in…knowing Iger was around talking about how everything he bought “cheap” turned to gold…

He played right into two sharks hands

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom