News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Mmoore29

Frankly…you weren’t around.

The predominant thought was he was good but has lost his edge and wasn’t taking them in the right direction

No none cried to have Bob iger

Not a single person. Not even his mom.
Period
So did you want Eisner gone or did you want him to stick around because he "merely lost his edge?"

Were there even any other realistic alternatives to Eisner besides Iger?

Lemme guess, you think he should've just given Katzenberg Wells' job after all, right?

Dranth

Frankly…you weren’t around.

The predominant thought was he was good but has lost his edge and wasn’t taking them in the right direction

No none cried to have Bob iger

Not a single person. Not even his mom.
Period
I was and while I don't disagree, in a lot of ways Eisner was not that much different than Iger. How similar they are is kind of fascinating.

He was just as paranoid and drove off anyone he saw as a threat. He tried to weasel out of contracts he agreed to and screw over people who bailed him out more than once (think Katzenberg). He started the price jacking at the parks and raised them by a higher percentage in his tenure than Bob has. He treated business partners badly including driving Pixar away. He had some horrible box office runs and honestly, if not for the very animation department he wanted to get rid of the whole company may have gone under or been taken over long before he went off the deep end. He stayed to long, installed his own puppet BoD, convinced himself he was the only one who could save Disney and let his ego get out of control.

Don't get me wrong, as a card carrying member of Gen X, I grew up on Eisner Disney and it will always be the definitive version I want, idealize and wish we could get back but if I put aside the rose colored glasses for a minute and really look at it, these two guys are alike in so many ways it is a bit eerie.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was and while I don't disagree, in a lot of ways Eisner was not that much different than Iger. How similar they are is kind of fascinating.

He was just as paranoid and drove off anyone he saw as a threat. He tried to weasel out of contracts he agreed to and screw over people who bailed him out more than once (think Katzenberg). He started the price jacking at the parks and raised them by a higher percentage in his tenure than Bob has. He treated business partners badly including driving Pixar away. He had some horrible box office runs and honestly, if not for the very animation department he wanted to get rid of the whole company may have gone under or been taken over long before he went off the deep end. He stayed to long, installed his own puppet BoD, convinced himself he was the only one who could save Disney and let his ego get out of control.

Don't get me wrong, as a card carrying member of Gen X, I grew up on Eisner Disney and it will always be the definitive version I want, idealize and wish we could get back but if I put aside the rose colored glasses for a minute and really look at it, these two guys are alike in so many ways it is a bit eerie.
There are similarities - no doubt.

Too much say on a “public” board being prime.

Firing anyone not a yes man being another

Trying to transfer the deed to the dwarf house to their names being the third

But the rot here is actually worse. This is “philosophy” run amok. Eisner could still rush a fix or two in…he’d pay to make way.

Bob is convinced he invented the business…which is why it’s now eating him up.

Stream coulda been 5 years earlier…he sat and bled espn dry. Now they’re both dogs.

Bob has a much larger bank account protecting him. And “speculative”…not “productive” stock markets.

It’s comparing a bigger rotten apple to a smaller sour orange

Vegas Disney Fan

My image of Iger has started to tarnish also but you really can’t argue the results, he’s lead the parks to 20 years of growth and revenue increases…. If I was sitting on the board I’d probably trust him over unknown candidates also.

IMG_3815.jpeg
IMG_3814.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My image of Iger has started to tarnish also but you really can’t argue the results, he’s lead the parks to 20 years of growth and revenue increases…. If I was sitting on the board I’d probably trust him over unknown candidates also.

View attachment 730087View attachment 730088
Notice how the “slope” of that curve is fairly consistent, Einstein? 🤓

If you bring up the wdw attendance graph…it follows the same pattern. Since 1971

So what conclusions can we draw?

Magenta Panther

Eisner bought the puppets, which have never earned a dime for Disney, and which started the whole acquisition insanity continued under Iger.

Good point.

The Disney company was worth 47 billion in 2005 when Iger took over and is worth 162 billion today so therefore Iger is awesome!

See picking arbitrary numbers to prove whatever is fun!
Someone doesn't understand how inflation works.

Magenta Panther

Of COURSE the board of directors asked Iger to continue. What do they care if the Disney company has lost its wholesome family image? They have no idea how important that was to Disney's success. They have no clue about anything except money. For a while, Iger made money. But those days are over. They'll get a rude awakening soon enough. And then what will they do?

There are rumors that Apple will buy Disney. Big deal. That won't help anything.

Walt's company is dead.

That's it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Good point.

The Disney company was worth 47 billion in 2005 when Iger took over and is worth 162 billion today so therefore Iger is awesome!

See picking arbitrary numbers to prove whatever is fun!
Vegas is just using the numbers…real numbers

In this case…I’m talking about the rise in travel and discretionary spending across the board since boom took over. What is more “discretionary” than Disney?

Why? two words: Great Depression. The psychological effects of that kept the WW2 Gen. In more of a 19th century mindset. But they built the behemoth…which is why they’re “greatest”

It’s been laisse ever since. And it shows in our rampant “buy today”

Numbers can go many different ways if it’s in context…
For instance: $1.35 billion sounds like a lot of money for a movie, right? What if it’s in sequence and dropped $38% from over $2 billion? That can wreck a whole IP 😎

Also: the little mermaid is gonna be $75,000,000 writedown - optimistically - at the theater. But yes…8 guys still buy dvds.

All context 😎

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Eisner bought the puppets, which have never earned a dime for Disney, and which started the whole acquisition insanity continued under Iger.
Granted…his fascination with Henson was kinda creepy…
But that’s not directly related to someone green lighting the emperor being a zombie

Works very closely along institutionally supported price gouging 👍🏻

Dranth

Good point. So, 47 billion in 2005 adjusted for inflation for 2023 comes in around 73 billion. So Iger only more than doubled the worth adding 89 billion dollars. What a pile of trash. He is now the worst CEO EVER!!!

Or, how about you completely missed my point.

hopemax

Good point. So, 47 billion in 2005 adjusted for inflation for 2023 comes in around 73 billion. So Iger only more than doubled the worth adding 89 billion dollars. What a pile of trash. He is now the worst CEO EVER!!!

Or, how about you completely missed my point.
It happens. I was wearing my sarcasm hat when reading your previous post, so I was just 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom