News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Nubs70

My take away from Bob this morning was: if you are not making money, we are going to spin you off.

What's that going to leave??

Br0ckford

Another weather man?
Rain Raining GIF by Al Roker

Mmoore29

How would Iger have been appointed over Ovitz? The ABC purchase wasn’t completed until well after Ovitz was made president.
Ovitz could've been interim president with the news of "I'm going to make Bob my No. 2 when the merger closes." Then Ovitz gets relegated to being a consultant/dealmaker/roving troubleshooter/point man for the company with a nonexclusivity clause.

Mmoore29

Never let facts get in the way of a good rant. Just checked Box Office Mojo and TLM has grossed $544mm thru last weekend (not really close to $700mm). The last weekend US haul was 3.6 mil, in otherwords it is about to be pulled. Variety reported last week that the combined losses of all the movies released by Disney so far in 2023 will be 800MM, that is not what I would call a healthy situation. Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln.
See, that's exactly what I mean. People making conclusions and moving the goalposts because they are set to have them to failures no matter what. These movies are gonna make it, and the crowds are there. The public loves these properties, and they aren't fair weather friends or mindless sheep who parrot what the Internet says.

Mmoore29

However, this $560 million figure, which assumes a $300 million domestic gross and a $260 million international gross, also includes $100 million in expected earnings from television, both free and pay television, another $100 million from home entertainment, digital and DVD, and $80 million from international television sales and streaming rights. Basically, the $560 million break-even scenario accounts for an exhaustion of the film’s potential revenue streams beyond its theatrical life and leaves little possibility for the film to be able to achieve any substantial profit for Disney.

The spin factor on failed Disney products it truly next level.
The proof is in the pudding: Moving the goalposts to make it a flop, just like I said. The movie's in the black. Cope.

Trauma

The proof is in the pudding: Moving the goalposts to make it a flop, just like I said. The movie's in the black. Cope.
I’m not the one who set the goal post at 1B.

That was your hero Mr. Iger.

Now the goalpost has been moved to break even maybe with fuzzy math.

But in good news Elemental only needs 150M more to break even.

If Disney is lucky they might only lose a few hundred million on movies this year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney is not like those companies. Disney has a strong foundation, and a lot of product diversification. These retailers didn't, because they didn't prep for the Internet.

So your comparison completely falls flat. Nice try, though, bless your heart.
Disney sells 100% non-essential product. When the bills for essentials go up…the losses “trickle up” and amplify the more frivolous you get

Mmoore29

Since Roy E. Disney started the campaign "Save Disney" and helped to oust Eisner, I wonder how Roy would feel about Iger now?
Like all these people talking about how creative Eisner was and how he'd be better to have now weren't calling for his head back then. Hypocrites, all of you.

Nubs70

You took away wrong.

Linear cable is profitable and it's probably gone. Streaming loses money but it's staying.
They hope streaming will make money. Streaming problem is the cost to produce content, lack of advertising, availability of the same content across multiple platforms. Unless the cost to produce is drastically slashed and platforms decrease, streaming has a long uphill climb.

Even if all that is solved, what content does D+ have where I would swear my sole loyalty to?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Like all these people talking about how creative Eisner was and how he'd be better to have now weren't calling for his head back then. Hypocrites, all of you.
Frankly…you weren’t around.

The predominant thought was he was good but had lost his edge and wasn’t taking them in the right direction

No one cried to have Bob iger

Not a single person. Not even his mom.
Period

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom