News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
1689283163605.png

the_rich

Never let facts get in the way of a good rant. Just checked Box Office Mojo and TLM has grossed $544mm thru last weekend (not really close to $700mm). The last weekend US haul was 3.6 mil, in otherwords it is about to be pulled. Variety reported last week that the combined losses of all the movies released by Disney so far in 2023 will be 800MM, that is not what I would call a healthy situation. Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln.
Please post a link, because no variety article comes up showing $800 million in losses.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Never let facts get in the way of a good rant. Just checked Box Office Mojo and TLM has grossed $544mm thru last weekend (not really close to $700mm). The last weekend US haul was 3.6 mil, in otherwords it is about to be pulled. Variety reported last week that the combined losses of all the movies released by Disney so far in 2023 will be 800MM, that is not what I would call a healthy situation. Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln.
Mermaid is a minimum $96 mil short of the cover number…is done with gross overseas…and $600K a day domestically on 2000 screens and about to drop by half there.

It’s a loss…but let’s just make sure the last couple of Pennies are in there, MmmmKay?

Eric Graham

Mermaid is a minimum $96 mil short of the cover number…is done with gross overseas…and $600K a day domestically on 2000 screens and about to drop by half there.

It’s a loss…but let’s just make sure the last couple of Pennies are in there, MmmmKay?
Maybe spending 100 million on advertising for this movie was a bit much?

Trauma

The break even was already hit at $540 million. Now they definitely weren't looking to break even but it's much different than losing $100 million.
However, this $560 million figure, which assumes a $300 million domestic gross and a $260 million international gross, also includes $100 million in expected earnings from television, both free and pay television, another $100 million from home entertainment, digital and DVD, and $80 million from international television sales and streaming rights. Basically, the $560 million break-even scenario accounts for an exhaustion of the film’s potential revenue streams beyond its theatrical life and leaves little possibility for the film to be able to achieve any substantial profit for Disney.

The spin factor on failed Disney products it truly next level.

Eric Graham

However, this $560 million figure, which assumes a $300 million domestic gross and a $260 million international gross, also includes $100 million in expected earnings from television, both free and pay television, another $100 million from home entertainment, digital and DVD, and $80 million from international television sales and streaming rights. Basically, the $560 million break-even scenario accounts for an exhaustion of the film’s potential revenue streams beyond its theatrical life and leaves little possibility for the film to be able to achieve any substantial profit for Disney.

The spin factor on failed Disney products it truly next level.
In the latest Indiana Jones movie, I believe that they could've saved a lot of money by editing the 45 minute tuk-tuk chase scene.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
He's right. The writers and SAG are delusional.
So are the media companies promising false profits…to be fair
Frankly for me it’s rich people fighting with upper class slightly well off people. The 1 percent versus the 10 percent.

I.e I have no sympathy for either side.
Those are the fights that last the longest…cause they can afford it and crave money like opium

CaptainAmerica

Mermaid:

Domestic box office is $291 million, of which Disney keeps 55%, or $160 million.

International box office (excl. China) is $249 million, of which Disney keeps 43%, or $107 million.

China box office is $4 million, of which Disney keeps 25%, or $1 million.

So Disney is sitting on $268 million of receipts against production and marketing budget of $390 million. They're sitting at a $100 million loss.

Lilofan

Since Roy E. Disney started the campaign "Save Disney" and helped to oust Eisner, I wonder how Roy would feel about Iger now?
Roy didn't care about Iger and was threatening to bring a lawsuit when he learned Iger would be named CEO back in the day. Iger as CEO made peace with Roy naming him Chairman Emeritus and giving him an office . Roy dropped the lawsuit.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Since Roy E. Disney started the campaign "Save Disney" and helped to oust Eisner, I wonder how Roy would feel about Iger now?

Roy didn't care about Iger and was threatening to bring a lawsuit when he learned Iger would be named CEO back in the day. Iger as CEO made peace with Roy naming him Chairman Emeritus and giving him an office . Roy dropped the lawsuit.
Roy agreed to Iger - he wasn’t a fan - because his goal was to get overdue Michael out and shake up the board…Iger was a boring, non-controversial fallback plan.
He was never a “successor”

Roy would be talking to ever investment fund he could today to get this guy out…and probably a long time prior

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom