News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Bob Chapek has made his first public comments since being fired from Disney in a new CNBC documentary ESPN’s Fight for Dominance.

Article from CNBC below.

So glad he's out.

ESPN is facing an existential threat from linear cord cutting, and tech giants (Apple and Amazon) buying out all the sports contracts. Apple and Amazon can, in two years, completely kill ESPN.

Chapek is still in the "well Disney has plenty of money to keep up buying those sports contracts" mentality. He doesn't see the danger.

He doesn't even know that Disney already paid Comcast $8B toward buying out Hulu. It's essentially done. And Disney has a fine cash flow that's about to grow really fast.

Byeeeee.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yes, it's what's being discussed for the past two pages. :D

Oh look, an entity not associated with Disney for decades nor was part of a multibillion acquisition has weighed in on the proxy battle:

WoundedDreamer

I never said anything about what was most important, I said it was funny even they thought Jay was a bad idea.

As for their recommendation, they are making the argument that Peltz is a better choice compared to Maria Lagomasino for optics and to help make sure 2020 doesn't happen again. They are basically hedging.

In their own words:

“Dissident nominee Peltz, as a significant shareholder, could be additive to the succession process, providing assurance to other investors that the board is properly engaged this time around,” the report continued. “He could also help evaluate future capital allocation decisions. Moreover, multi-year concerns surrounding Lagomasino’s role as a compensation committee member strengthen the case that Peltz’s addition, on balance, would appear a net positive.”

I bolded the parts that jumped out at me.

That first one is the real winner here. That is about as weak an endorsement as I have ever heard.

He might be okay? Sweet, problems solved everyone. We've been told that it is conceivable a guy who wasn't around before could maybe, possibly, in some cases, prevent something from happening!

I'll admit this is a me thing and will gladly eat crow if I am wrong, but I tend to have a little more faith in people learning from first time mistakes (not second, sorry if you do it a second time you are on your own) and that is what the 2020 succession was, a first time mistake for those board members. With that experience, I don't believe they will let something that messy happen again and even that article points out that ISS agrees saying they think the board has already improved.

The second part I highlighted because it is exactly what a lot of us DON'T want from a Peltz addition. Disney needs to be investing in the parks right now, significantly. From a fans point of view, I don't want anyone near the decision-making process who is advocating to cut that back.

To be fair, in the most generous interpretation of both this and Peltz own words we could say maybe he won't want to advocate for cutting any spending, just spend it better but that would be ignoring his long, well established track record on the hope he will do it differently this time. Sounds like the worse bet to me so, until he provides details on where and how much he would invest I can only assume he wants to cut spending to increase shareholder value which makes him a worse choice than the existing members.

I'd love an actual good alternative here but so far none have presented themselves.
I think you're not fully understanding how seismic this is. Bob Iger was one of the most beloved CEOs in America. Whatever he wanted he has gotten. He ruled Disney with an iron fist. Yes, there was "Disney nice" (which Walt Disney the man would have abhorred), but underneath the nice was Bob Iger's firm control.

ISS has just delivered a stern rebuke. While it was done in respectful tone, the message is clear. Iger needs supervision. And while Trian didn't get everything it wanted, this represents a huge win for them. Even if Peltz loses, which is no longer a forgone conclusion, Iger will be on thin ice.

Peltz might get 40%+ of the vote. This is wild.

Dranth

I think you're not fully understanding how seismic this is. Bob Iger was one of the most beloved CEOs in America. Whatever he wanted he has gotten. He ruled Disney with an iron fist. Yes, there was "Disney nice" (which Walt Disney the man would have abhorred), but underneath the nice was Bob Iger's firm control.

ISS has just delivered a stern rebuke. While it was done in respectful tone, the message is clear. Iger needs supervision. And while Trian didn't get everything it wanted, this represents a huge win for them. Even if Peltz loses, which is no longer a forgone conclusion, Iger will be on thin ice.

Maybe, I just know they have been much more forceful with recommendations in the past and this one came across as particularly half hearted. Combine that with all the praise for the moves already made and it sounds like they don't have a lot of conviction on this one.

lentesta

Premium Member
Bob Chapek has made his first public comments since being fired from Disney in a new CNBC documentary ESPN’s Fight for Dominance.

Article from CNBC below.

That Chapek wanted ESPN to be the internet portal for sports is giving such go.com vibes that I need to lie down.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Maybe, I just know they have been much more forceful with recommendations in the past and this one came across as particularly half hearted. Combine that with all the praise for the moves already made and it sounds like they don't have a lot of conviction on this one.

It seems they have done what everyone in this melee claims to agree on:

Call for new leadership

You can almost hear the ghost of Diane Disney on the wind saying: “It’s time, Bob”

peng

So glad he's out.

ESPN is facing an existential threat from linear cord cutting, and tech giants (Apple and Amazon) buying out all the sports contracts. Apple and Amazon can, in two years, completely kill ESPN.

Chapek is still in the "well Disney has plenty of money to keep up buying those sports contracts" mentality. He doesn't see the danger.

He doesn't even know that Disney already paid Comcast $8B toward buying out Hulu. It's essentially done. And Disney has a fine cash flow that's about to grow really fast.

Byeeeee.
Yeah, sports is the only thing cable has, but its rapidly going to the streamers. Apple and Amazon have infinite pockets due to being apple and amazon and will eat as much of the pie as possible as they can afford eating the losses.

Disney has a ton of money still, but espn is still extremely tied to cable sports and the attempts to move it digitally haven't gone well (to be fair, NBC's attempts to do digital sports have also been failures, NFL fans were calling for the Peacock execs' heads after the playoff game hosted on there). The plan of slowly spinning it to other partners is probably the best case scenario for it tbh.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So glad he's out.

Byeeeee.
espn has been dying a slow death for 15 years

The future of sports is not centralized networks with limited action…it’s league specific or local centered

Lilofan

espn has been dying a slow death for 15 years

The future of sports is not centralized networks with limited action…it’s league specific or local centered
After Iger forced ESPN President John Skipper to resign which he did, Jimmy Pitaro with no experience at ESPN take over and still in charge?

UNCgolf

Not in just two years. ESPN has the ACC rights through 2036 (although that's dependent on the ACC still existing), SEC rights through 2034, the College Football Playoff through 2032, MLB rights through 2028 (although ESPN can opt out after 2025) and Monday Night Football as well as a couple of NFL playoff games through 2032.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom